My computer shuts off

Closed
linds - Sep 2, 2008 at 12:57 PM
 MR, Helper - Dec 17, 2008 at 03:09 PM
Hello,    Ok first of all I know little about computers my husband and i got a computer to keep in touch with family when we moved. I have windows vista and a intel pentium processor 4HT my problem is when I am on the internet it just shuts down and a blue screen pops up to fast for me to read and my computer starts over I have done virus scans spyware scans any kind of scan you can think of and nothing works I live in a pretty rural area so I don't even know where to find a computer guy PLEASE HELP ME!

3 responses

The blue screen makes it sound like a critical error. I don't have a ton of experience with this kind of thing, but have you tried updating Vista? I've heard about people have issues with it, and I believe (don't quote me on this), critical errors are caused when Windows tries to load a file that is corrupted or missing.

That aside, you're not gonna make it any worse by updating Windows, so I'd give that a shot.
Could be a bad memory module.
If your computer has two RAM sticks try removing one and let it run and see if the problem re-occurs. If it does, Take out that RAM stick and put back in the one you removed first and test again.
well i practically live on my computer so i no a fare amount here try this go to start,my computer, then right click on driver C or whatever it is for you then click properties then go to tools and click on error checking and check all of the boxes it will then tell you u have to restart your computer for this to take effect then when your computer starts up it will then scan for errors on your computer and try to fix them i hope this helps you!