No internet but Netgear router is connected

Solved/Closed
steve1711 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2008 Status Member Last seen October 24, 2008 - Oct 24, 2008 at 02:31 PM
 Deepak Nahariya, Salmon India - May 16, 2013 at 04:10 AM
Hello,
Have a Netgear DG834gV4 modem router. It works fine with my laptop but when connected to a friends machine web pages will not display. Have checked all usual settings - have done ipconfig/release ipconfig/flushdns ipconfig/renew etc. Tried to ping news.google.com but was unable to do so. When I pinged 74.125.19.104 Google opened.

Can the DNS settings have got messed up by a virus. Machine is running Bullguard antivirus and it had flagged up a Trojan.Agent.AGGO around the time that his machine stopped connecting to the internet.

Have tried to give a fixed DNS but this doesn't work. Is it worth trying winsockfix? Any ideas - many thanks
Related:

30 responses

I just changed mine back to automatically detect I.P and it worked, thanks alot
how do you switch it to automatic
Hi all,
I found a solution that worked for me. I have been having a similar problem where my laptop and ipod would connect to the wireless router perfectly but my desktop with a linksys wireless-g adapter card would connect to the router at 54mbits but only some times connect to the internet. One day it would work fine, the next day boot up the computer and no connection to the Internet. Arrgh.
But from after reading all of the posts on this site, I firstly went checked logged into my router to check out the settings, and made sure my key was correct which it was and I knew it was as I had been able to connect before. I have also got Wireless Mac filtering enabled and security mode WPA2-Personal. I then noticed the "Wireless Channel". This is set on the router 11-2.426gh. I then opened up Network Connections > right clicked on the wireless network connection > Properties > Configure. In this box there will be a long list of things. Mine was set to the first one Adhoc mode and the setting 802.11 b/g. With nothing to lose I chose the next on the list Automatic Channel (or to that effect) and changed the setting from disable to enabled. Restarted the computer and the Internet connected straight away!
Woohoo!! I hope this is of some help to all you out there.
FIXED!! This was happening to me on my Mac.
What fixed it:

I was on the Guest Account, so I switched over to my account (I wanted to get into the Admin controls and root around). Internet worked on my account. Switched back to Guest: not working.

I then went to my account and created a new account (for my kids). Logged in as them, and voila!!

So my suspicion was that somehow the Guest Account would "forget" some sort of setting, because it "clears all data" when logging out or shutting down.

If this works for you, please donate some money to a social justice organization I work tirelessly for:
http://www.daretowin.org/?page_id=98

Peace
Social justice is an integral park of the far left Liberation Theology movement. I would not click through for this political cause
When I updated my Firefox on my (strictly in ERROR) it changed the settings on my router and I have not been able to use my wireless since. THIS SUCKS It happens every time that I try to upgrade Firefox and costs me $29.00 that I have to pay to Linksys to fix it. I'm just boycotting Firefox because there is NO reason for them to do this. I'm not a techie and have no idea how to fix this problem. Does anyone know a simple way to reset my router settings to what they were before?
You can save your router configuration on your pc and then when you need to restore your router you point the router to the location of the backup bin file the router creates when you back it up. The backup is in one of your router configuration pages.
IanBrown > help
Nov 9, 2009 at 06:35 AM
i have a mac and it says full signal from my netgear router but unlike some it does connect to the internet....just! its soo slow almost unworkable and occasionally just doesnt work. running the network diagnostics it say that the server and internet isnt working but always by the time I enter the password it has fixeditself(but still slow) or everything has crashed and I cant do anything any ideas??

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Here was my SOLUTION to this issue.... I called my ISP (Comcast) and since the modem IP address had changed, they basically needed to power reset the modem. Before they did that though I also unplugged the router and reconnected it once the remote power reset was done.

I am sure not all of you have the same issue but give it a try... call your ISP and ask them to power reset your modem... I hope this help some of you at least! :)
I just went through this problem with one of our macbook laptops. All of a sudden it couldn't connect to the Internet despite having a good wireless connection. I knew the connection to the wireless router was solid since I could print to the networked printer and see other machines in the Finder.

After going through all the usual trouble shooting, including a chat session with a Comcast support tech (the wireless router runs on Comcast firmware), I was still coming up empty. The last thing I did with the support tech was review the Network settings, and just for kicks I compared them to another laptop that was working. The only thing that was different was that under the DNS tab the problem laptop had two extra DNS Server entries. I deleted the extra entries, and bingo, we're back on the Internet.

Hope this helps!
Erik5500,
This sounds exactly like my problem: HP running on Vista Home Edition... it connects to wireless router but cannot connect to internet. Hard wired to the router works fine. All my other laptops (on XP Professional) has no problems. The Vista laptop did work on the same router for 6 months but we notices connections dropping alot. We swapped out the modem from ISP but that didn't help.

So your solution to check the DSN setting... how do you get to that?

Thanks,
Anita
I recently bought a NEtgear switch thinking it was a router. I hooked it up and it worked fine for about two day's but couldnt hook in my other 3 computers. So I unhooked it and put the eithernet cord into my motem and it wont give me interent. I have wiped my hard drive and it still doesnt work so it cant be a virus. I even tryed hooking it back up with the switch, But no go. Ive spent 8 hours the other day trying to fix it, 4 of which was on the phone with Time Warner cable, Who were no help. Them my motem got messed up and I just had a time warner guy come in and replace it. We now get internet on two comps but my comp still has no interent. The time warner guy says he thinks it's because my comp is looking for a router to get interent. This si very fustrating and im asking for any help to get my comp up and runing again. My email is Reaper818dn@yahoo.com. please if you think you know what the problem is could you send me a email. Thank you
Actually this sounds like a dynamic ip problem not being registered with the router.I know netgear routers once reset will broadcast a low signal until they've properly been setup.

I to connect to my netgear router I had to use an ethernet cord in my computer and on connected to one of the ports on the router.Run the setup which it would stop because I needed to put the computer e.plug back into the modem and the port e.plug into the wan slot on the router.As far as keeping the old settings that could be problem , which why I recommend resetting the router .With everything turned on and connected to the router there shouldn't be any problems.Below are instructions on what I'm talking about.

//Personally the easy way is to hit the reset button on your router.Afterward you might try to look for the router and it might appear then disappear or you'll try to connect but it says could not connect because of low frequency.

This is normal , now the next part messing with the broadband cord.Leave the cord in the computer , detach the one on the modem and place it into one of the four broadband plug slots on the router.(Making sure it's not plugged into wan port near the power slot).

You will know you have connected your computer to the router because the broadband plug will be blinking on the computer and you'll see a light or one blinking on the router.

(Note#1)

For the next part you've got to know your router address.It can be found sometimes on the bottom of the router saying 192 . 163 . __ .__ Which should be typed into your internet browser.Your user name might be [admin] and password might be [password] , it can differ.

Almost there , now it should ask would you like to setup your router you might hit yes and it fails saying it can't find an internet connection(again this is expected).

Now you just take out the broadband cord that's in the computer and place it into the cable modem and on the router place the cord into the WAN Port near the power plug.And retry with the router hopefully setting itself.(This worked for me when setting up my netgear router to timewarner's cable modem.)Following whatever instructions you should now be able to see your network appear and be able to connect.

(Note#2)

Hopefully this helps or leads into the right direction , because I have looked online and not found anything in this much detail about this issue.And their might be easier ways , but this is what worked for me.

And just to cover myself make sure everything is connected to the modem and router and their both on.//
Hi there Steve,

I have exactly the same problem and I can not find an answer. I think maybe it must be a virus. Please email me if you find an answer and likewise.

Good Luck!
The W4ng F15h
Dec 2, 2008 at 04:51 PM
i have the exact same problem on my mac.(so I know it isn't a virus)
sometimes it will allow me to browse, but my xbox live connects all the time.
no problems.
but I can not for the life of me figure out why I have full signal strength but both my
browsers say I am not even connected.
if you have figured this crap out, could you let me know what was up please.
GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008 45 > The W4ng F15h
Dec 3, 2008 at 11:34 AM
check that your router and wireless adapters are configured for DHCP
switch to another encryption method and make sure your network key is correct
disable all firewalls on PC to diagnose your connection problem
Virtualstorm > GiantLeap Posts 85 Registration date Saturday November 29, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 8, 2008
Dec 7, 2008 at 08:29 PM
It looks like this problem is pretty common then because I have the same issue with my netgear router. Out of three computers mine is the only one that has a problem connecting. Internet seems to work just fine so long as I am in safemode, but is really hit and miss normally. This leads me to believe it that there could be a program or something that netgear just doesn't like. Nothing has changed from the last router I had so I am not sure what it could be. I have tried turning off my Spysweeper (spyware check) and PC-Cillen (virus check) but that didn't really help. Let me know if you can think of any more information I should have here just let me know. I will also be sure to let you know if I come up with a solution on my own.

Dale
Virtualstorm > Virtualstorm
Dec 7, 2008 at 08:47 PM
One more thing that may be important. I use a D-link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev. B) to connect to the network. That might be a good place to start looking for the problem so that's what I am going to start with.

Dale
macfan > The W4ng F15h
Dec 23, 2008 at 05:21 PM
have you figured it out yet? I have a mac and I have the same problem, great signal, no internet. My Ipod connect perfectly to the internet, WHY WON'T MY COMPUTER!!!!!!
i've had same problem since just after christmas ,after lots of investigating weve now been advised the problem is were bt have changed dlap's at the exchange and the only way to resolve is to get bt to fix the error at the exchange .hope that helps