Mac keyBoard key B does not work [Solved/Closed]

CiCi - Mar 23, 2009 at 10:26 PM - Latest reply:  sam
- Jan 11, 2015 at 09:09 AM
Hello,

I have a MAC and ANY keyBoard that I attach to it, the keystroke B (lower case) does not work. What recommendations do you have?
See more 

63 replies

Best answer
Thank you
Bobtron is right. Go to your system preferences and select speech, then text to speech at the top. Uncheck "Speak selected text". That should solve your problem.

Thank you, moltar 56

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1887 users this month

hi..the following keys are not working in my keyboard. I have tried using another keyboard but the same problem. Any help please..

Q, A, z, Tab key, the key number 1 found just over the key Q
WOW... I cant believe something so little would effect ONE key!
Problem! Have mavericks, now, and there is no such check box to uncheck.
It is only my quote / apostrophe key.
I really think that I accidentally press a wrong combo of keys and shut that key off, somehow!
do this work on MacBooks
Ambucias 55026 Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration dateModeratorStatus September 21, 2018 Last seen > elle - Jan 3, 2015 at 05:03 PM
Try it and let us know.
Thank you
OMG digging deep in an apple discussion, I found the solution! In the SPEECH control panel, somehow the key shortcut got set to my letter j! So if you are having the issue of a lower case letter not working no matter which keyboard you try, then this may be it! I already tried resetting all the keyboard defaults, resetting the preference file, everything.

So good luck. Hope this helps someone else!
sarbel.vilo 234 Posts Tuesday November 18, 2008Registration date August 1, 2010 Last seen - Mar 24, 2009 at 03:42 AM
Thank you
Check in your control panel and make all changes back to default :S
Thank you
I had similar problem except would not type capital letter "A" when you hit shift+A. My kids were playing with my laptop and had been playing with Speech function. System Preferences>System>Speech> Text to Speech; de-selected "Speak selected text when the key is pressed". Works fine now.
Worked for me too.... Thanks!
Thank you
Bobtrons Solution worked great for me! My lowercase k wasnt working but my uppercase K was. Now they both work! :)
Hello all, I have _he same prob wih my le__er _, I have _he Leopard OX sys_em, _ried _o fix i_ _he way you said bu_ I _hink I am doing some_hing wrong, please explain _he s_eps again, mine is no_ working nor Upper cases nor lower casses and i_ happened suddenly!!!

_hanks a lo guys!! I am very frus_ra_ed down here!! :(
Same here!!!!!! My letter "t" doesnt work in lower case except right now im using a different keyboard.
Thank you
sometimes my t and y keys wont work also..... what I do is unplug the keyboard and wait a few seconds before plugging it back in..

or beat on it very violently (does not work,lol)
I cannot capitalize the letter "t" on my keyboard. I have gone into speech, but in my case the box is not checked and has never been checked. So, I'm left with the same problem. Any ideas? It's only the t.
Had the same problem with my "R", together with cmd+v (very annoying). Did exactly the same as suggested by :3, and now it's working fine.
Thank you
I had the same trouble with my capital Z. I used the system preferences solution (speech) and unchecked the box as indicated and now it's working fine. Saved me a trip to the store where I bought it!
Thank you
i tried the same advice with the text to speech and it worked perfectly - I feel sorry for Apple now as they replced my keyboard thinking it was broken
Thank you
In response to simba's message, it works perfect! if your lower case keys arn't working and just the capital ones are, follow the instructions they have left and it should correct this! many thanks! If this fails to work perhaps try creating a new user account, open something that allows you to type text and hit the key that doesnt work, hopefully if this works then it will narrow down your search in respect to whether your keyboard button is working or not. Best

ps thanks
Thank you
I had the same problem, but when I went to Speech, the box wasn't checked

but

Here's what worked - created a new user account and the keyboard worked fine
martinval 1 Posts Tuesday November 11, 2014Registration date November 11, 2014 Last seen - Nov 11, 2014 at 04:59 PM
Thank you
Thanks Bobtron,that did the Trick !!!!! Sincerely martinval
Thank you
i have th same problem but it is the backspace that wont work
My backspace key is not working either nor my key Between C and B...of course I can not type it here...unless I copy paste. Hae you figured it out yet?
Thank you
Thanks for the tip...I can now use my cap "S" again which was not working when I used shift and then s.The default for speech is shift-s. Actually bought a new keyboard thinking it was broken...anyone need a keyboard?
I.saw.your.post.about.anyone.needing.a.keyboard.
Mine.just.stopped.working.today!
5.letters.don't.work.in.keyboard.
Any.chance.I.can.PLEASE.have.yours?

I.would.be.forever.grateful!!!!
sa_e here! all l 7 letters at the _otto_ are dow_
Thank you
thank you so much :)
Thank you
I have the same problem only with my J button (again lower case only). I have switched keyboards and reset my controls to default, but still nothing. Any thoughts?
Did you ever find a solution to your lower case j not working? We are having the same problem. I have reset every keyboard setting I can find. It acts like it is doing some sort of modifier, because sometimes the EDIT menu flashes at the top when you hit it.

Let me know if you have found out anything.
I am Having tHe same problem witH my H's. THey only work in upper case. SO ANNOYING!!!!!
I can't type Us normally. Or Js. It types more characters. WHY??!?!
I have the sAme problem with letter "A" it does not work in lower cAse, if Anyone hAve found the solution it will be of grAte help.
i have same problem.all letters doesn't
work
Thank you
wow I feel really stupid now that it was that simple, especially saying it was my own fault for making it that letter to speak. proves to me I have no clue what I was doing lol thanks for the help
Thank you
What if it is only one keyboard and it is just that keyboard where that certain key does not work?

Is that just the keyboard because when I try my other keyboard, that key works?
Thank you
Hello,

I have a MAC and ANY keyBoard that I attach to it, the keystroke d (lower case) does not work. What recommendations do you have?
Thank you
Hello,

My ALT-key doesn't work. Anyone had that problem and have a solution?

Pretty anoying that I can't write the @
Thank you
the same exact thing happened to mine, I dont know how yto fix. the key doesnt work
1 2 Next