How to install APK files on Android
An APK file allows you to install an app without using any third-party app like the Google Play Store. Here we will explain what it is, and how to download and install it.
What are APK files?
APK files are files you can use to install an application on your Android device without using a third-party app like the Google Play Store. Most Android users go to the Google Play Store, to download apps, but there are alternatives. Other platforms allow you to download unofficial apps with the same level of security as that offered by the Play Store. It is not uncommon to find the latest versions of apps on these sites before they are officially downloadable from the Play Store.
Why install an APK File?
There are several reasons why you would want to download an APK file:
- The latest versions of APK files are often released before the Google Play Store version is uploaded.
- You need to download an application that is not available in your country due to restrictions.
- You just want to ditch Google.
- You want total control over your apps and the update process.
How to download and install APK apps?
To download an APK app file
- Look at the dedicated section here in our dedicated download section.
- You can search on the internet for the app APK version you want and download it.
- You can go to the APK Pure website which hosts a huge amount of APK files and download the one you want.
To Install an APK app file
Now you have downloaded the APK file you wish to use, your smartphone or tablet may have blocked its immediate installation. This is because Android is configured to stop everything that does not come from an official source such as the Play Store.
- Locate your APK file in your download folder and tap on it to execute it (your device will ask you for confirmation and warn you).
- Or try to disable the native restriction, go to Settings > Security, and look for the location to enable unknown sources (your device will ask you for confirmation and warn you).
What should you be aware of?
Before downloading an APK file, be aware that some of them may contain malware and may compromise your device's security so be careful before downloading and installing an APK file.