Ask a question Report

Monitor going black after 2 seconds [Solved/Closed]

krawrys 1Posts Monday August 11, 2008Registration date August 11, 2008 Last seen - Latest answer on Oct 9, 2012 02:47AM
Hi
My monitor is a 19" Envision LCD widescreen. It's brand new, barley 7 1/2 months old. About a week ago I was on my computer and it went black on me out of nowhere. I heard everything in the background still and all the lights indicating the computer and monitor is on were on. I turned the monitor off then on again, and it showed everything perfectly until about 2 seconds then it just went black again. I tried this monitor on a completely different computer and it did the same exact thing. I took out my video card, still did the same thing, re-installed drivers, still did the same thing, restarted my computer, still did the same thing, changed power cords, still did the same thing. I'm sure that it is not my computer and it is the monitor. I have no viruses and haven't tampered with my monitor in any way. It sits in the same spot as it always does, has never fallen, had anything spilled in it, is not kept on all day (I turn off my monitor whenever I'm not in front of it) etc. It happened out of no where and I'm quite upset since it's pretty much new. Can anyone tell me what this may be, how to fix it, approximate costs, etc.?
Read more 
Answer
+585
moins plus
If your LCD display is turning itself off due to aging capacitors, an easy work around is to turn the brightness down! Brightness goes down, display draws less juice, and you can at least use it. As it warms up you should be able to gradually turn the brightness back up, although probably not all the way.

Sometimes this problem manifests itself as a display that turns itself off after a few seconds or will turn itself off and back on over and over again.

moron- Nov 18, 2011 09:53AM
I have a hannspree 25" that does this. It stays on for approx. 20 seconds then screen goes blank whilst the power light stays on. Turning it off then on again helps, as well as setting the brightness to 0 (very dim). I have read lots about bad caps. Perhaps looking inside your monitor (Be careful about this) and look to see if the can-shaped things have ROUND tops, not flat tops.
Ars- Nov 30, 2011 09:04AM
Love u man! I spend two hours trying to figure it out! And I have to say you save my day!! THANK YOU!
Shona- Dec 2, 2011 06:12AM
thanks worked for me too!
aphextwin- Oct 3, 2012 04:49PM
This is awesome, thanks.

I had all of two seconds once it switched on to select the brightness menu and adjust it by one notch. This meant switching it off and on several times but it worked well fine eventually!
CBB- Oct 9, 2012 02:47AM
Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You very much
Answer
+148
moins plus
it's the LCD's Inverter ... you have to replace it for it to go back to normal again... believe me inverter is the crook. i repair lcd monitors that's why i know the problem.

Jes- Jun 27, 2009 03:21PM
hey so i just got this monitor and it keeps going black after some times 10 second to 20 seconds how could i fix it i have no idea how these things work or should i bring it in to someone to fix it for me or is it pretty easy to fix myself? thanks Jes
self- Oct 27, 2009 08:48AM
I was wondering were do I find the inverter at for the LCD E19FPC 19" What inverter do I need to change out for this problem?
Do you know were I can find a scamatic for this at?
My husband works on CB radio's but not screen's nor computers. Please help.
Thanks,
JoLynn Self
Answer
+26
moins plus
Mine is doing the same thing but it only does it when i turn the computer on if i keep turning the screen off and on again for a while it works after that but if i turn the computer off i have to go though turning screen on and on again- again!!!

Troubleshooter- Dec 1, 2008 10:05AM
Hi all,

My suspicion is that this is a capacitor problem. If the screen is turning off every two seconds or so and then it comes back for another few, that could mean that the capacitors are not charged (or in other words, the capacitors are not able to retain the charge long enough to transfer it to the other components).

My suggestion hence, is to isolate the power board (the one that has the socket for the power input), check if any of the capacitors (the tall cylindrical structures) have bulging tops, if they do, try to replace them (Novices please bear the polarity in mind when you play with capacitors) with ones with higher rated ones (especially the voltage rating, normally these would be rated for 25 volts, so try getting one that is one step higher.TYGA

I hope this helps,

Pls Get back with your views...
MaidaNet- Jan 10, 2009 02:58PM
I had this same issue. For 3 days, I recycled power to get it come on - up to 25 times! For the first day, it would shut off again after some minutes.

But after a while, it would take less times to get it to stay on AND it would stay on longer.

By the 3rd or 4th day, it works just fine again - no problems. That was 2 weeks ago.

This all started when I powered down my monitor off for an evening, so now I've decided to leave it on all the time.

So there is hope it can heal itself.
Answer
+26
moins plus
Have zou tried this? This worked great for me.

Hi all,

My suspicion is that this is a capacitor problem. If the screen is turning off every two seconds or so and then it comes back for another few, that could mean that the capacitors are not charged (or in other words, the capacitors are not able to retain the charge long enough to transfer it to the other components).

My suggestion hence, is to isolate the power board (the one that has the socket for the power input), check if any of the capacitors (the tall cylindrical structures) have bulging tops, if they do, try to replace them (Novices please bear the polarity in mind when you play with capacitors) with ones with higher rated ones (especially the voltage rating, normally these would be rated for 25 volts, so try getting one that is one step higher.TYGA

I hope this helps,

Pls Get back with your views...

kelli- Jun 10, 2010 12:47PM
would this also apply to LCD tv's? I think i have the same problem? when i turn my tv on it comes right on, but then after a few minutes turns off, then after 20-30 seconds it comes back on ( all by itself) then off again after a few minutes and so on, for about 20 minutes, then stays on. My main question that i had not heard anyone mention is that it is not just the screen going on and off it is the sound too. Has that been the case for everyone? Would a problem with the capacitor affect the sound as well?
Troubleshooter- Jun 10, 2010 02:03PM
Hi Kelli, The sound "circuitry" also draws "juice" through capicators. It is not easy to say how the routing is done. Some boards tend to share capacitors and some have individuated lines. Although it is a long shot, i would just visually inspect for capacitor faults (costs nothing, just your time and patience). If things seem alright, it could be either transistor related probs (advanced troubleshooting skills needed) or a simple backlight replacement should do. the problem is there are different things that could have gone wrong to give the same symptoms. best way is to start the troubleshooting process :) Good luck -
Troubleshooter- Jun 10, 2010 02:36PM
Ofcourse....do keep me posted :)
Answer
+22
moins plus
I've got a Samsung SyncMaster 940BX I picked up @ a garage sale for $50 with the understanding that it worked great & they just recently upgraded. It's a beautiful monitor & when I got it home, the monitor turned on for a second then shuts off. I can press the "auto" button & it cycles itself from digital back to analog, comes on for a sec then shuts right off again. I can keep doing it over & over & over... I've already taken the monitor apart & checked ALL the capacitors & everything looks fine.. Suggestions?

Answer
+19
moins plus
I just fixed this issue on a Magnovox 19" LCD. My first suspicion (like most) was that it was the PSU since it seemed power-related. However:

Checked the logic board for bulging caps and replaced C112, C117, & C118 with great success!

FYI: I guess if you don't have a soldering iron, you won't bother, and if you do, you know what a cap looks like, but either way, caps are rated in Farads, so you'll find a rating on caps such as 1000uF (1000 micro Farads) or 200pF etc. Other than that you can look up their distinct (albeit varied) appearance on wikipedia. Make sure that your replacement caps have the same value and an equal or (better yet) higher voltage than the broken ones. Do not confuse milli with micro!

Got this solution from FixYa and it sounds like it's pretty common among these crappy items they're putting out now, hopefully this will help with many different brands.

These manufacturers are crooks and a disgrace.

Answer
+13
moins plus
I was having this problem two seconds ago....changed the resolution via desktop properties > settings....popped up and stayed up....BAM

cmac- Jan 26, 2010 12:20AM
i also was talking about the resolution of the external monitor (in my case a sony lcd tv)
Answer
+5
moins plus
hai ,
This problem is because of LCD back light faulty.If u observe the black screen near U can see dull Display .This is because of LCD Backlight power off after 2 second .You can resolve the problem by replace the lcd back light but its not economical.

regards

cp

Answer
+5
moins plus
Its rarely the entire inverter and normally just a cap or two and maybe a fuse. just need a soldering iron and the parts. depends if youre electronically inclined. if you do it with just the parts it could cost you between 10-50c. buying the inverter is between 5-35$, but of course thats my cost, dunno what they would rip you. if there are no bulging caps that you can see there is also a chance they you have a bad lcd itself. and sadly those cost more to replace than the unit costs new.

Answer
+5
moins plus
may their capacitors blown

Answer
+3
moins plus
I encountered that problem also, yah same suspect the capacitor on power supply and the inverter is also on power supply board, replace all the capacitor then try to burn it on. more power!

Answer
+3
moins plus
seems to be problem with PSU. try to disassemble it and change all capacitors (i think there are 6-7)

Answer
+2
moins plus
Mine is doing the same thing... if you find out what it is please let me know...

Answer
+1
moins plus
hi there,

well tell me the screen isnt on warranty ? if it is then go to where you have bought it and then change it there. if it isnt on warranty then sometimes lcd screen gets spoilt when there is humidity thats the disadvantage with lcd screen and also if there is an inteference zone nearby. as for the repairs i cant tell you exactly as i dont know the degree of damage inside the lcd screen. but repairing these screens is somewhat costly and its better to buy another one.

hope this helps

This document entitled « Monitor going black after 2 seconds » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.