Ask a question Report

Screen goes Blank after starting windows [Solved/Closed]

Steven - Latest answer on Oct 18, 2012 03:42AM
Hello,
When my system starts up the screen goes blank. I can start up
windows in safe mode all day long but can't start up in regular mode.
I have tried put a new flat screen monitor on the system and that didn't
help!
Any ideas?
Read more 
Answer
+230
moins plus
Eureka!! I found the issue!! Only after pulling out all my hair and making up new four letter words!

Ok, Dell computers mainly here but more possibly. Dell offers no option to disable the onboard video card in the bios so just set it to auto if it is not already there. To do this just make sure your monitor is plugged into whichever video output that lets you see the boot screens and press (F2 on most Dell systems) to enter setup. Once in setup scroll until you see the video adapter options and set to auto.

Now, turn the system off after you lose video. Do this by pressing and holding the power button until it goes off. Switch the monitor cable back to the onboard card and restart. You may not see anything until Windows loads (the opposite problem as when using the new card). Once you can log onto Windows do so and at the desktop right click the mouse on the wallpaper (background) which will bring up the display settings box. (Ensure you have the proper drivers installed for the new video card and that the video card is showing up in the device manager [ right click on "my computer" then click "manage" then click on "device manager" in the left column. In the right column expand the "display adapters" by clicking on the "+" sign ] if the card shows with no error icons on it then you are good so far. Once you have the display settings open click on the "settings" tab at the top. You should see two squares with numbers "1" and "2" in them. This means that Windows "thinks" you have two monitors and there is your conflict!!

Here lies the Dell issue, it is probably still using the onboard card as the "primary" monitor card. Click on the monitor it shows to be using and the card driving the monitor will show in the Display dialog box under the monitor area. The option to change uncheck "Use this device as the primary monitor" is grayed out too which means you cannot change it. Now, click on the other monitor box and see if your installed card appears in the Display dialog box. If so, right click on the monitor square. If "primary" is grayed out click on "Attached" then right click on the monitor box again now you should see "primary" no longer grayed out and it will let you click it. This will set the new card and monitor it is driving to your monitor. Apply your settings and close the Display Properties box. Shut down and plug your monitor cable into the new card and reboot. You should now have video as desired!! Now you can go into the Display properties again and if you are NOT using two monitors, click on monitor "2" and uncheck the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" box. Apply and happy computing! :)

andy- Feb 22, 2009 10:15AM
after having installed a new video card and doing everything was suppose to my monitor won't turn on. i have called nvidia about it they did all they could. it seems that the onboard is not shuting off any ideas. the only driver i see in device manager is my new card. please help me.
jackie- Apr 8, 2010 08:06AM
hi i have a dell but it doesnt say on scroll down video adapter options.could it possibly say something else,really need some help my screen is just a blank blue screen,any ideas
Ambucias 21505Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus June 29, 2015 Last seen - Apr 8, 2010 11:51AM
Try booting from your CD and choose repair, if that does not work, have your graphic card check.
Jobu- May 1, 2010 11:44AM
I had the same problem on my laptop after Windows 7 downloaded a bunch of updates one day after Windows 7 install. I had to restart the computer in safe mode (with network connections) and reloaded the video card driver. Worked great after that.
john d- May 19, 2010 09:43AM
I had the same issue. Thanks for your brillance. Another thing that can be done is to use two monitors instead of swapping just one, if you have them on-hand.
Answer
+126
moins plus
Boot to safe mode. If the screen works normally (doesn't turn black) in safe mode then is a corrupt driver for your video card (safe mode loads the generic windows driver not the one for your specific card). Go into the device manager under display adapters and right click your display adapter and click uninstall. Now reboot normally. Windows will detect the display adapter that is install and reinstall the driver for the device. It may ask you to reboot again. Upon this reboot if the problem persist then the driver is completely corrupted. You will need to go online and download the most up to date drive for your device and install that. You can go online if you boot safe mode with networking.

Answer
+110
moins plus
Well, you can try this....

In safe mode, go to start->run, type in msconfig, and the system configuration window will come up.

First, try clicking on startup and say disable all, then say apply. Try restarting your computer and loading it normally, and see if it lets you get anywhere. If it does, you can go back into msconfig and start enabling startup items again until you find the one that is messing you up.

If that didn't work, try going back into msconfig, keep all the startup items disabled, and click on the services tab. check the box saying hide all microsoft services, then click on disable all, and hit apply. Try restarting into Windows normally again, if it works, then again, you have to figure out which service/startup items are affecting your boot up.

If that didn't work either, then you may have a graphics card issue. Where does it stop when you try to load Windows normally?

jose- Mar 28, 2010 09:34PM
just format your computer dude. Use hiren to back up all data. If u only fixed it, the vuris is still in there
John- Apr 26, 2010 10:19AM
Lifesaver dude, give yourself a pat on the back since I can't. I appreciate it.
Christa- May 6, 2010 02:30AM
"hold F8 key while booting ur PC and select " Enable VGA Mode" after getting windows you should decrease resulation from the dispaly properties menu,becoz your monitor doesnt support ur current display resulation. " Sainsas thank you!! my boot menu did not have an option for "enable VGA" but it did have a setting for "Enable lower resolution"
J-DOG- Jun 12, 2010 07:14PM
Thank you CHRISTA! LOVE U!
punit_pandya- Oct 18, 2012 03:42AM
Hey frnds i had this problem of black screen booting in windows xp / 7
so i solved this problem after going through lots of sites and i did it by myself first i thought it had problem with my monitor but believe me i just did it by myself i want to help u guys by how u can fix this just dont do anything >
JUST REMOVE RAM CHIP FROM YOUR CPU CLEAN THE DUST AND PLACE IT AGAIN PROPERLY AND DONE TRY ONCE ...... U WILL THANK ME FOR THIS
Answer
+21
moins plus
I just installed a PCI video card in a Dell to replace the onboard VGA which had gotten the connector broken off. XP booted fine but after XP set up the card I would lose all video after the "booting Windows" screen. I restarted into Safe Mode, logged in as Administrator, and disable the onboard video in Device Manager. After that I could boot into XP normally and finish installing drivers for the new card.

chas- Feb 18, 2009 11:05AM
This worked for me, thanks. Disabled the on board display from device manager and all is well.
Chicco- Oct 22, 2009 01:53PM
Thanks,this worked for me to :)
Thankful User- Mar 23, 2009 05:56PM
I've been stumped with the same problem for a week or two now. I just did as Goatboy suggested: Safe Mode + Device Manager + Uninstalled graphics card + Reboot = Success. Thank you so much.
Mickey11- May 15, 2009 08:21PM
Thanks Goatboy! That worked a treat on my Intel board.
JustMCV- Mar 18, 2010 06:36PM
This worked for me too. Thanks an bunch
Answer
+19
moins plus
Hello,
Open the computer in safe mood
Go to start menu
Type "msconfig"
Then uncheck all the "startup" item
restart your pc
then see weather your pc opens in a usual way
if not then again go to safe mode
uncheck all the application from " services" tool
again restart your computer
iif it doesnt work then you have to boot your pc...

Answer
+14
moins plus
1. Boot up and hold F8
2. Select VGA mode
3. Baba Bing!

Syed- Nov 24, 2009 10:41PM
In my case my WinXP Pro went frozen after disabling my onboard video as it was using up 16MB for video. My system froze after windows logo and process bar displayed and after a couple of animations stays there for ever.

I tried to start in safe mode, worked but went back to same problem when started normally. After reading your solution, I realized that I did that too but to no vail.

Finally I went into windows safe mode. Got device manager and disabled onboard video controller. Done!
Allie- Mar 16, 2010 12:44PM
I downloaded a bunch of pictures and video to my computer yesterday, and now, when I startup the computer I get the blank blue screen with the wondows icon. I can't get into anything. I've tried to startup up in the "safe mode", (F8, I believe...) and tried ctl alt dlt.... NOTHING. anyone have any suggestions???!!! I'm soooo frustrated!
mrtiny01051985 2Posts Saturday March 13, 2010Registration date March 13, 2010 Last seen - Mar 13, 2010 06:23PM
thanks man. this did the job. thanks to all the people that said the same thing that are too many to mention.
Answer
+12
moins plus
I had the same issue and figured out what the problem was. The computer had an onboard video, and a pci video card added for a dual monitor setup.

I reinstalled windows and didn't have my second monitor hooked up at the time. After booting up windows for the first time, I would get the windows xp screen, then bam, nothing. I plugged my monitor to the other video card, and voila. Somehow the video signal defaulted to the added video card, but only after windows booted up.

Answer
+10
moins plus
I have the same problem. My screen goes blank when it gets to the Windows login screen. I can use the f8 option and boot into vga mode. Once in vga mode I can change the refresh rate to 75hz, and then I can change to 1024x768. When I restart, my screen goes blank again and I start that process all over again.

I have reloaded, updated, uninstalled and reinstalled display drivers, installed monitor-specific drivers and nothing has helped.

Motherboard: SiS-651
Video Card (onboard): SiS_651_M650_M652_740

Kai Emma F - Jun 8, 2009 09:06PM
Hi,
I have gateway window vista home and ndivia geforce 8500 GT. After I reinstalled my system, I had the same problem as you guys all have. Guess what! I happened to have a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse which turned out to be the cause of the problem. I decided to unplug everything and open the computer and airclena it for dust. After I completley turned everything off and unplugged ALL of the components from the computer and reattached all of stuff together. Voila! Windows automatically reinstalled all of my missing drivers and it worked!!!
Try this method, hope that it will work for you. Smile. :)
AskKai 2Posts Monday June 8, 2009Registration date June 9, 2009 Last seen - Jun 9, 2009 09:04PM
P.S. I found my old Seagate ST30000CB external drive was also causing the problem as well as my wireless mouse and keyboard. I'm not sure why this external drive cause the problem, window vista should automatically install the proper driver for that. I urge that if you have any extra stuffs such as external drives and wireless mouse and keyboard, you should detach all of unnecessary equipments for testing or reinstalling xp or vista.
Peace on mind~
from AskKai.com
john- Dec 20, 2009 02:21PM
similar problem here. i did a clean install of windows 7, which had enough problems as it was. but now after the windows logo it goes black and no longer registers the display. i am using a 24'' hd tv. i have tried by the VGA which weorked with windows xp, and HDMI, but neither work. the vga works in safe mode.

i have since connected to my parents 32'' tv via hdmi and it works out of safe mode. so i installed my graphics card drivers and tweaked them around but it hasnt helped when i try on my monitor.

i have noticed that in the load screen the monitor runs at 60hz and when it stops displaying its randomly increases to 75hz. also when using my parents tv and going into the control panel and graphics manager the tv name displays, whereas when using my tv it says default monitor and i cant change anything. both tvs are suppose to be plug and play monitors also. mine worked fine with xp but i hadnt rebooted in ages so system was bogged down, so i decided to switch, plus i lost my xp disc so windows 7 was my best bet. any ideas, cant do much in safe mode all the time!
natzwafu- Feb 7, 2010 05:46AM
i love reading forums it helps me a lot with my pc troubleshooting
thanks guys for sharing your info-experience regarding this.
just cleaned my processor heatsink and fan with full of dust and fumes and poofs my PC is "UP" again.
nothing to do with my videocard.
dude john - Feb 24, 2010 10:13AM
I'm having the exact same issue. Have you been able to find a sultion? If so could you please email me?
Answer
+8
moins plus
I tried the safe mode option but unfortunately it didn't work.

It is a laptop so mucking around the with graphics card isn't an option either.

I'll try to disable everything in safe mode and let you know how it goes.

How I annoying. I only had dual setup and it has been fine :(

Answer
+8
moins plus
Had the same problem in Windows 7......pressed F8 when windows booted....and then selected "Recover....". Then some menu came where I selected "startup". It worked fine 4 me.

Answer
+7
moins plus
Press ctrl-alt-delete at that screen and let me know what it says.

If it's freezing up prior to login or at login it will give you an error about domains, or a login password prompt.

If that's the case you need to use your Windows XP CD to enter Recovery Console, and it will rewrite your registry, etc and repair that portion of windows.

Good luck!

Answer
+6
moins plus
If its is caused by a setting under vgasave properties........what you do is reboot->F2 to enter BIOS settings->super! then remove the auto option under video put the default eg Intel etc-> reboot that will by pass anything to do with the newly installed drivers and its settings-> change the vgasave properties...right click desktop-properties-settings-advanced-adapter-properties-driver then finally change the setting to SYSTEM! wow finally go back to BIOS and restore the auto config done!

Answer
+6
moins plus
Have had the same problem before. I discovered it was an update to adobe reader. Soon as I disabled it in the start-up programs, problem went away forever.

Answer
+5
moins plus
IF you have Nvidia drivers then setting something in Save Mode is imposible so just UNINSTAL them in SAVE MODEand then simply instal them back on next reboot ( and never set TV as defoult device again)

eRowdy 2Posts Thursday 25 June 2009Registration date June 25, 2009 Last seen - Jun 25, 2009 11:20PM
if i uninstall my drivers, can i ever get them back? do they re-install automatically?
Answer
+5
moins plus
Guys, I solved my black (blank) windows screen after starting windows!
I have gateway window vista home and ndivia geforce 8500 GT. After I reinstalled my system, I had the same problem as you guys all have. Guess what! I happened to have a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse which turned out to be the cause of the problem. I decided to unplug everything and open the computer and airclena it for dust. After I completley turned everything off and unplugged ALL of the components from the computer and reattached all of stuff together. Voila! Windows automatically reinstalled all of my missing drivers and it worked!!!
Try this method, hope that it will work for you. Smile. :)

from AskKai.com

Answer
+5
moins plus
Just wanted to share my success -- an earlier poster mentioned 2 display devices, and that was definitely it. My wife unplugged her monitor (DVI) while running, and took the cord to work for an employee to use. When she brought it back and plugged it in, we got no video. Rebooted, would show the windows logo then black-screen.

Found this posted after an hour or two of searching, turns out that when the DVI was pulled, the secondary display (TV) that we rarely ever use became active and primary! After turning the TV on I found that indeed, her display was hanging out there! Attached the monitor, set it to primary, and rebooted. Fixed.

Note: I could still boot into safe mode & VGA mode, so you could easily boot to VGA mode and attach the primary monitor there.

Thanks for the solution, this was causing way too much stress!

Answer
+4
moins plus
I am experiencing the same exact problem! Please let me know if you find a solution!

Answer
+4
moins plus
i've got the same problem on my pc. and also the last time i used it working correctly it was hooked up via S-Video to a TV, so i think its doing the same as yours was sensorsmile. just cant be bothered to go and hook it back up to the tv :(

Answer
+4
moins plus
After running in a safe mode ,again restart and press the alt f8 button.Now select the option The last working config and boot up.Then it should work.I had the same problem and i was able to come out of that by adopting t he above steps.
If it is not running in safe mode ,Then take out the ram carefully and clean it up and again plug in.

jlin15- Jan 23, 2009 02:48PM
NICE, the RAM was dusty. I actaully replaced the old ones with new ones. IT WORKED!
gang83- Sep 14, 2009 07:07PM
When I select safe mode..it goes on to list a files and then please wait after the list on the screen. I let it run for a while but to no avail. The same thing happened when I selected 'Repair my computer'. I am really puzzled about this because I did not even load any new hardware. Please HELP!!!
Answer
+4
moins plus
THANK YOU SO MUCH BYRD910!

1 2 3 4 Next
This document entitled « Screen goes Blank after starting windows » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.