Desktop icons & start menu tools wont work!!! [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question PLEASE HELP ME!!! - Last answered on Apr 27, 2017 at 03:24 PM by harmanssingh
im stuck if anyone can help me PLEASE!! everything was fine yesterday I logged off and when I went to log on again all my desktop icons had the IE logo instead of the normal icon pics and when I try to open them it just opens an internet explorer page then that disappears and a download window opens but when I try to click download it disappears and the IE page opens again it just repeats that process every time. also I cannot open any of my programs in my start menu they all say windows cannot open this file....so therefore I cannot even do a system restore. I cant use my virus software or anything and ive tried downloading stuff to fix it but I can download but cannot actually save it to run it so im at a loss as to what to do next ive been trying to fix this now since yesterday and im not real computer savy so I didnt want to do something that could hurt it either. I did try to get to system restore through safe mode but it does the same thing in safe mode. also cant reinstall windows xp cuz my cd/dvd isnt working either! im going crazy trying to figure this out please help!!!! its a Dell XPS windows xp professional edition.
See more 
Helpful
+25
plus moins
I finally fixed it!! this is how I was able to get system restore up to fix the problem!! To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:
bring up task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) hold ctrl and click new task which will bring up the command prompt.
At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state. Hope this can help someone else that is going through this cuz I know I was about ready to pull my hair out I was so frustrated!! lol so good luck
Was this answer helpful?  
Ahmed- Aug 16, 2015 at 02:34 AM
thanks it works, but the problem is that after restarting the PC the problems comes again what steps to take to solve the problem permanently
Helpful
+25
plus moins
If you have already Rebooted and the problem still exists, you can still try this but I doubt it will help. If you haven't (and dont want to reboot for whatever reason) give it a shot. It won't hurt and may solve your problem

I have had this happen several times. While viruses or malware MAY cause this a more common problem is an app you are running that is "not playing nice with memory". It has happened to me while running something I really don't want to cancel and restart.

This solution is quite simple and DOES NOT Require a REBOOT.

1. Open Task manager (Cntl-Alt_Dlet),
2. Click Process tab,
3. Find Explorer.exe (or explorer.exe).
4. Terminate it. (ignore warning)
5. Click Applications tab
6. Then New Task.
7. Enter (guess what) explorer.exe and press enter

your desktop and taskbar will reappear (and your long running app will still be running)
Was this answer helpful?  
Diapason Al- Aug 24, 2015 at 02:53 PM
Worked for me. Now hopefully MS fix the root cause....
DK-10583- Aug 25, 2015 at 01:03 PM
THANK YOU. Somehow Tablet mode became enabled and my laptop became a horrible device.
bimnmerle 1Posts Tuesday August 25, 2015Registration date August 25, 2015 Last seen - Aug 25, 2015 at 06:45 PM
Many,many thanks - so simple and neat worked perfectly
Tahir raja- Mar 26, 2017 at 12:30 PM
Many thanks, May God bless you
harmanssingh 1Posts Thursday April 27, 2017Registration date April 27, 2017 Last seen - Apr 27, 2017 at 03:24 PM
Thanks dear ! thanks from the core of my heart ! i wasted more than two months on it and it was that simple .

_/\_
Helpful
+18
plus moins
Uninstaling avast antivirus solved my problem, I activated Windows Defender antivirus, now start menu and Cortana works perfectly
Helpful
+5
plus moins
Hello,

Well just as I was coming to your rescue with the calvalry, here you solved the problem... oh well,,, Congratulations and thank you for sharing the solution.

Best regards
Helpful
+3
plus moins
Thanks for trying to help me :-) Im just glad I was able to fix it! lol
Helpful
+3
plus moins
I fixed my issue by deleting icloud photo... just before my start menu would go crazy I would get the message "icloud photo not able to load" and then all hell would break out. After I did the delete (got rid of apple icloud and photo) it stopped... it's been a few days now and no issues :-)
Carlos- Aug 14, 2015 at 10:48 PM
Anthony, you are a genius! I had the same problem. My windows explored would crash and restart, crash and restart, crash and restart endlessly. At some point, after crashing and restarting a gazillion times it would apparently set, but the start button would not work. I deleted apple's iCloud, restarted my PC and, presto!

Apple's PC software is always crap. iTunes is also crap. They are very good with their own products but Apple is incapable of developing decent PC apps.
Chris smith- Aug 15, 2015 at 05:15 AM
Amazing thanks so much worked a dream been crashing for past two days
rom- Aug 17, 2015 at 01:04 AM
I was getting hopeless and found this forum and it worked. Thank You
wendy c- Aug 26, 2015 at 11:12 AM
Same Here. But I stopped the icloud service first from the task menu. I could then right click the task bar and get to the settings where I uninstalled icloud.

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?