I met the same problem in WinXP Pro. Througout I made a lot of mistakes and error which I have to re-clone back and start again; I "may have the answer" as I solved in XP Pro. 1) Backup your HD onto another HD using Clone software by todobackup by Easeus. This is as a precaution act to protect in case you make mistake.
2) Try to get the same model with the same configuration as your Notebook or PC ( Ms office and etc) . Link them together in a network I ONLY TRIED IT IN THE DOMAIN Environment. It's best if the Administrator password are the same and software applications installed are the same.
Make sure you are able to ping or logon Remotely to the "bad" pC using Administrator from "good" PC. NOTE : It will not work if don't have accessor network connectivity.
3) On the "good" PC, using Regedit export HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon by clicking right hand and select Export. You may save on the My documents or Desktop. Name a proper file name you can remember say, "goodpcwinlogon.reg
4) Select File from Pull down menu, Select Connect Network Registry. Select the "bad" PC and connect it. It might prompt Administrator password here.
5) Export the HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon and name it differently say, "badpcwinlogon.reg" onto the "good" PC.
This is as a precaution act to protect in case a mistake is made.
6) Using Regedit, click Import registry and select the "goodpcwinlogon.reg" SELECT THE CORRECT PC to IMPORT, in this case the "bad" PC.
7) After importing, you may restart and try logon using Administrator in the "Bad" PC. It should work.
8) In the "Bad" PC, Go under C:\Documents and Settings, Here look for your username say, "ABC".
Rename the folder ABC to ABC_OLD.
9) Logoff as Administrator, and re-login as the Domain username in the "Bad" PC in this case "ABC". Logoff as ABC
10) Logon as Administrator again in the "Bad" PC. Go to C:\Documents and Settings, you should see a new user "ABC" created. Copy the Favourites, My Documents and Desktop files from the ABC_OLD folder.
11) re-login as your username in this case, "ABC". It should be working now.
I cannot guarantee it will work completely as I got about 90% of the software application working. I have to re-install some here.
Hope that helps!. Good luck and Best wishes.