Ask a question Report

A soon as a log in, it logs off automatically [Solved/Closed]

lattuga - Latest answer on Jan 9, 2013 08:39PM
Hello, I have been trying to acces my computer but as soon as I log in, it logs me off automatically, I have tried everything already. Trying to log in into safe mode wont work, it will still turn off, I have tried to access to the system recovery options but it won't let me access to them. I have an hp touchscreen laptop with windows vista. Please help me!!
Read more 
Answer
+56
moins plus
cwk you have to make sure your cd rom is bootable. Go into your bios and set your cd rom to boot before your hard drive.

Answer
+16
moins plus
Hi,

I met the same problem in WinXP Pro. Througout I made a lot of mistakes and error which I have to re-clone back and start again; I "may have the answer" as I solved in XP Pro. 1) Backup your HD onto another HD using Clone software by todobackup by Easeus. This is as a precaution act to protect in case you make mistake.

2) Try to get the same model with the same configuration as your Notebook or PC ( Ms office and etc) . Link them together in a network I ONLY TRIED IT IN THE DOMAIN Environment. It's best if the Administrator password are the same and software applications installed are the same.

Make sure you are able to ping or logon Remotely to the "bad" pC using Administrator from "good" PC. NOTE : It will not work if don't have accessor network connectivity.

3) On the "good" PC, using Regedit export HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon by clicking right hand and select Export. You may save on the My documents or Desktop. Name a proper file name you can remember say, "goodpcwinlogon.reg

4) Select File from Pull down menu, Select Connect Network Registry. Select the "bad" PC and connect it. It might prompt Administrator password here.

5) Export the HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon and name it differently say, "badpcwinlogon.reg" onto the "good" PC.

This is as a precaution act to protect in case a mistake is made.

6) Using Regedit, click Import registry and select the "goodpcwinlogon.reg" SELECT THE CORRECT PC to IMPORT, in this case the "bad" PC.

7) After importing, you may restart and try logon using Administrator in the "Bad" PC. It should work.

8) In the "Bad" PC, Go under C:\Documents and Settings, Here look for your username say, "ABC".
Rename the folder ABC to ABC_OLD.

9) Logoff as Administrator, and re-login as the Domain username in the "Bad" PC in this case "ABC". Logoff as ABC

10) Logon as Administrator again in the "Bad" PC. Go to C:\Documents and Settings, you should see a new user "ABC" created. Copy the Favourites, My Documents and Desktop files from the ABC_OLD folder.

11) re-login as your username in this case, "ABC". It should be working now.

I cannot guarantee it will work completely as I got about 90% of the software application working. I have to re-install some here.

Hope that helps!. Good luck and Best wishes.

Hira Singh hirasingh74@gmail.com- Dec 20, 2012 06:04AM
Hi
Thank you very Your help is more usefull, now the system is working properly now.
Regards
Hira Singh
Answer
+15
moins plus
Hi am Hance from Tanzania, The easiest solution to the above is;
1) Run a live CD of hirens in a affected Pc
2) copy this file USERINIT.EXE FROM THIS PATH(C:/windows/system32) from a normally/properly booting PC
3) paste it in the affected PC.IN THIS PATH(C:/windows/system32)
4) Restart the computer and you will be GOOD TO GO

Answer
+5
moins plus
I have a netbook - with no CD rom drive what is the best way to fix? The netbook did not come with any CD either.
thanks!

test- Jan 29, 2010 12:18PM
The only option is to access your netbook via a network.
Answer
+4
moins plus
what i did to specifically fix this problem (taking the above guys advice):

the problem: windows kept logging me off directly after I logged in without the chance to do anything. going into safe mode only gave me a blue screen of death.

the fix: I used a program called ERD commander 2005. it allows you to boot to the disk and gives you access to your PCs vital parts. It allows you to run regedit. I followed the path in the registrey: HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and changed the value for userinit from "...winlogon32.exe" to "...userinit.exe,"

be sure to export the registry just in case.

Answer
+3
moins plus
I have this same propblem...did you ever figure out how to fix it?

Tahir Corndog - Feb 10, 2010 04:55PM
hey corndog: If you re-install and lost your project files, there is a data recovery solution and you can get back your lost data so easily... just search google for EASEUS Data Recovery software, so far I know its free... Download and install it... Obviously if you need how to use it, just google again for help.... But im sure its very easy to use so you won't have any problem.... I hope this helps...
Don Corndog - Feb 21, 2010 06:45PM
Hey there,

I just wanted you to know that your masters thesis is still on your hard drive even though you have reformatted it. I have a great program that will find it and restore it. Or is it too late? When is your paper due?
rajanhcl- May 21, 2010 02:56AM
try to restore the pc if u have any recovery cd with this option....i done my pc..
Kwasper- Jun 10, 2010 04:40AM
How? I just can't log in. From where do I let it run the cd?
Android- Jan 9, 2013 08:39PM
Happens on the fourth, newly created users. My existing users function. The registry is correct. I hate this bushleague O/S
Answer
+2
moins plus
I have copied the userinit to winlogon32 which is the same name that i saw it calling in the registry.... it logged on for a few extra seconds, I see the Malwares background and then logged me right back off. There are additional steps that need to be taken here, this is a new hybrid issue that makes the COPY userinit to the name callediin the registry, or even changing the registry value back to userinit useless. It works once and then before you can get into windows the malware reasserts its self and you are back where you started. ANY TIPS???

ihairbook- Jan 27, 2010 01:55PM
I'm working now and I'll try the following steps on my SICK PC when I home tonite:

Edit these values and type the correct path of shell :

Shell = explorer.exe
Userinit=X:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

NOTE: These files may also be deleted by spywares. You may need to extract them using Windows CD.

Steps for rectifying this problem:

* Log on to a networked computer.
* Run Regedit.exe
* Point your cursor to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
* Select File > Connect Remote Registry
* Type computer name (infected computer)
* Navigate to the following location in registry of destination or infected computer

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

* Edit these two values in right pane:

Shell
Userinit

* Change these two values to

Shell=explorer.exe
Userinit = x:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

* Exit from Registry
* Restart Infected computer.
* You should be able to log on to computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555648
I'm not the professional PC person but I always search solve PC problems online. I think you guys can do that too! Good Luck!
Badoopvj- Feb 3, 2010 01:29AM
What if the computer I am trying to fix... doesn't have a CDROM and isn't networked to my good computer... and I don't have the original Windows XP Professional CD for the bad computer but I do have on for my other computer?

How can I copy the userinit.exe / wsaupdater.exe / winlogon.exe / winlogon86.exe onto the sick computer? I can get an extra network cable... if I do this and connect my two computers to the same network will that be sufficient for networking? Wait... actually that may not even work because I disabled the LAN Network beforehand...

I know there has gotta be a way around this... any ideas?
test- Jan 29, 2010 12:16PM
Changing the registry back to userinit.exe before you kill the virus is useless. It did not allow me to execute regeidt.

Once you are able to login, run malwarebytes. I had renamed the install so it allowed me to install and run.
jessicastuck- Apr 5, 2010 12:08AM
Okay- I am totally friggin frustrated! I tried to go under command prompts and it stil just puts me to the login screen with "administrator" or my name as the login... i don't even get a chance to type in windows 32 or anything like that.... i am not completely computer illiterate but i am at such a loss...

i restart- get the black screen- press command prompts and then it tries to log me on.... the only options it gives me are: login as admin or jessica or turn off computer.. PLEASE HELP my dear sweet computer savvy friends!!!!! Jessica!!!
Answer
+2
moins plus
i used a cd, called hirens and in xp mode did a remote registry edit of the same key harry above stated, making the same change, INCLUDING the comma.

i also verified this with another xp (my beater laptop) and its registry entries.

worked like a charm. i am of the belief that another "fix" program remapped the key to the bad entry. the machine i am working on has 3 spy bots installed (none current), the aol security center (horrible), spy doctor, severely outdated java, and a few other 1/2 installs.

and a bunch of virii...

now for virii cleanup on the users machine...

THANK YOU FOR THE SPECIFIC LINK HARRY! THAT WAS CRUCIAL!!

Answer
+1
moins plus
You should try to use a boot up disc and carry out a non destructive recovery.
This will keep your old files and you can then boot up from the newly installed OS system which is
on the new section of the disc, effectively partitioning your HDD.
Hope this works. It did for me.
Good luck.

(there are a number of firms which offer boot up discs for all systems .These may also work, but try your boot disc if you can find it. Once again. Good luck. )

Answer
+1
moins plus
hello,
how did you find the solution to your problem because i am having the same problem as you.Well it bugging me alot but i already have the anti-virus thing.It say's that i need the spyware removal but i'm so confused why?...

Test- Jan 25, 2010 09:34AM
For those of you who tried copying userinit.exe to wsaupdate.exe and it did not work, try copying userinit.exe to winlogon32.exe and winlogon86.exe
Answer
+0
moins plus
Hi,
this happened to me as well. Tried safe mode too, but nothing helps. I then tried re-installing my xp, but it doesn't seem to read it. So, I can't re-install windows, or do anything! As I turn my pc on, it shows that Last good configuration/start windows automatically screen, but I try everything for it to boot from my xp disc, nothing seems to help. Any help on this...anyone??!!

KeifferTech- Jan 7, 2010 10:56AM
Try this
1. Boot using your winxp cd.
2. Enter recovery console.
3. at the command prompt go to
C:/windows/system32
4. next type:
copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
5. exit and reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done yet!
6. run regedit
7. find the Userinit key in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
8. modify the entry:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe
so that it reads:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe
Missy- Jan 9, 2010 11:18AM
i'm at the comand prompt, and it says C:\WINDOWS> and then you can type in a command. I tried the system32 command and it said it wasn't recognized. Am I at the wrong window?
Libby- Jan 26, 2010 10:53PM
If you're not familiar with DOS, you can always type "help" to get a list of commands.
To change from a c:\windows prompt to c:\windows\system32, you need to change directories, or "CHDIR"

chdir c:\windows\system32
specialTee KeifferTech - Feb 2, 2010 10:02AM
AT step 5 (reboot normally) I log in and the system still logs me right out. Any suggestions?
Vinny- Apr 13, 2010 06:28AM
my acer laptop also went wrong like the same way. I think the cause is system.exe is been affected by a virus and you need to disinfect the virus to proceed. Take it to a service personal where they will do it for you. Is the only workable solution for me I believe.
Answer
+0
moins plus
well i had the same problem so i have changed my Power Supply its ok now!!! goodluck!!!!

CesarJ- Jan 18, 2010 06:18PM
Cesar,

My netbook logs off as soon as logs in, before that happened i ran my antivirus and it seems it made things worst. After I ran a scan it and clear it i had another window saying i had a virus. after running a second antivirus my netbook shut off and wont allow me to log in, any suggestions anyone, remember I have a netbook (no CD Drive)
Answer
+0
moins plus
have you tried charging it up. That will will help

Answer
+0
moins plus
im havin the same problem'
someone helppp?

Answer
+0
moins plus
im having the same thing happen please suggest a route i could try

Answer
+0
moins plus
go to safe mode and save all doc. than when it restart press f11, restore factry image..

Answer
+0
moins plus
i have the same problem and it won't let me go into safe mode. i press f8 and nothing happens at all.

Answer
+0
moins plus
its f10 to get to factory restore and it seems linked to an update of the intel graphics card. I can get limited use by using administor setting, but can't find a total solution

Answer
+0
moins plus
i have a same problem but mines a computer it goes to log on screen and i click it then it goes to a blue sreen then says logging off help

This document entitled « A soon as a log in, it logs off automatically » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.