Ask a question Report

How to connect cisco router to internet modem [Solved]

Douchebag 12Posts Wednesday November 16, 2011Registration date February 22, 2013 Last seen - Latest answer on Jun 8, 2014 06:57PM
Hello, ok so ive tried everything on how to get the router working but i havent been able to so this is my last resort. I have a Cisco G Broadband Router WRT54G2 model. I get my internet through a Motorola modem that i have. When i try to connect my Windows Vista laptop to the router and then the router to the modem, i dont get interent access at all. Ive asked my teacher whos a technician to help me set the settings but the settings dont seem to work. Plz, any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Read more 
Answer
+3
moins plus
Nope i still cant login even if i use admin as my username, i tried leaving the spaces blank but it still doesnt let me login. What can i do? :I
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
Ok well i tried to do that but i forgot my password and i cant find it anywherez so can you tell me how to reset the router to factory settings. :I
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
Lets try this

Power down the router and disconnect all wires from it. Wait for a minute. Power up the router, allow it to fully boot, then press and hold the reset button(backside of your router) for 30 seconds, then release the button and allow the router to reset and reboot .Wait for a minute.. Power down router. Wait one minute. Start the router again

Now try to configure as said the page
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
Ok i tried that but when i tried to upgrade it to the newest firmware, It says that it can not get a response from the server. Is there another way? :I
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
Well actually the last link that you posted actually did help me cause i found out that i have to put admin in the password and leave the username blank not the other way around lol, ok im gonna try the first link to see if i can do it :I
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
Well i tried to clone the PC's address but after i power cycled the router, it still doesnt connect, any more suggestions? :I
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
Go to http://192.168.1.1

On the top you have SETUP

Click on that

Change the Local IP Address 192.168.1.1. to 192.168.2.1

Click Save Settings

See if it works now
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
Well i tried that and when is says settings succesfull, it also says release/renew IP and theres a button that says close but when i click on it the setup page is not longer available and i have to reset the router all over again. Plz help me :I
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
I think you are making mistake somewhere

Try this

Reset the router first. Press the reset button for a few seconds

Plug the computer to any of the router's LAN ports

do not plug the router to the modem now.

Login to the router's page at http://192.168.1.1 leave the username blank/empty and the password is admin.

Go to the MAC Address Clone tab and enable it and clone the MAC and click save settings

Go back to the setup tab and change the router's LAN IP Address to 192.168.2.1 and save the settings.

Reboot the router first before you plug it to the modem.

This should definitely work
bro- Jun 8, 2014 06:57PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I been looking for around 18 hours on how to successfully connect my router to my motorola router/modem and this worked out even called tech they couldnt even figure it out!!!
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
Thank you so much, it now works, you dont know how much this means to me. Thank you so much. :)
Douchebag 12Posts Wednesday November 16, 2011Registration date February 22, 2013 Last seen - Nov 21, 2011 08:23PM
The thing that made it work was me unplugging the router from the modem, i didnt know i had to do that... :I
Anonymous User - Nov 21, 2011 08:23PM
ha ha thanks for your kindness
Anonymous User - Nov 21, 2011 08:24PM
We learn from mistakes :)
Douchebag 12Posts Wednesday November 16, 2011Registration date February 22, 2013 Last seen - Nov 21, 2011 08:36PM
:)
Douchebag 12Posts Wednesday November 16, 2011Registration date February 22, 2013 Last seen - Feb 22, 2013 06:48PM
Now I am presented with another problem, just today, earlier my router was working fine, but then the next time that I turn on the computer along with router and modem, all the port lights on the router are on and it wont go to the internet, I have even tried to do a reset by holding the button on the back but nothing happens, I unplug it and then plug it again and the lights are still that way, its as if the router just froze. :(
Add comment
This document entitled « How to connect cisco router to internet modem » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.