If you're having problems accessing your files and folders upon opening your USB key and only the shortcuts are being displayed, you should check whether the files are in hidden mode. Read on for the solution to this problem.
How to fix a USB key that shows shortcuts only?
The first thing to do is to check for files in hidden mode on the USB, especially if you haven't formatted your flash drive. Follow these steps:
- Click on the below link and download the file AutorunExterminator.
- Extract it and double-click on "Autorun Exterminator", then plug your pen drive.
- This will remove the autorun.inf files from your pen drive and also from drives.
- Click on Start, then Run, and type cmd then click on OK.
- Let's assume your pen drive letter as G - enter this command: attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* but replace the letter G with the letter of your pen drive.
- You can also just copy and paste the above command.
- Now press Enter.
- Now check for your files in Pen Drive.
- After that, download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Update it and perform "Full Scan".
Note: The default selected option is "Quick Scan".
- USB Key Showing Shortcuts Only
- Pen drive displaying only shortcuts [solved] > Forum - Viruses/Security
- Pendrive shows only shortcuts [solved] > Forum - Viruses/Security
- Automatically USB drive shortcut in folder [solved] > Forum - Viruses/Security
- Shortcut virus on flash drive [solved] > Forum - Viruses/Security
- How to format USB drive: Mac, Windows, Ubuntu
- Create a bootable USB drive
- Enable and Disable USB Ports
- Remove write protection: from USB, SD card, hard drive