Knowing how to modify the name and password of your Wi-Fi connection is important for various reasons. The primary reason is that pre-established passwords are usually impossible to remember, a long and random collection of numbers and letters. The second is for security reasons: unwanted connections to your network and personal security as your network offers an access path to your data. In this article, we will explain how to change your Wi-Fi password step by step.
Warning: Be careful when connecting to any new internet network, especially if it is an open service without a password - you will need to verify that it is a secure service.
How to get online access?
Nowadays, more and more Internet Service Providers allow modifications to passwords and users. To see if it is possible, go to your ISP’s website and access your online account using your details. Search the menu for an option that has the security name, Wifi password, router, or Wireless configuration. If you find it, enter the current password and the new one you wish to create.
You can also contact your ISP to see if this service is available online. Most ISP websites have some form of live chat or chatbot where you can ask your question directly.
How to see the router IP address?
Generally, the router IP Address, by default, is usually one of the following two options:
If neither window opens when testing the router IP, you will have to find your specific IP address and try again. To do so, follow the steps:
For Mac users
Go to the System Preferences> Network menu, and on the screen that will be displayed, you will be able to see your IP number.
For Windows users
Open the start menu, and in the search bar, type cmd , you will see the option to run the Command Prompt, type ipconfig and your IP address number will appear.
How to access the router?
As we mentioned, we recommend you first try one of the two general IP addresses.
Copy one of them into the URL bar of your browser. Attention, you should not copy it in the search bar of Google or another search engine, but directly in the upper space where the web address appears.
A pop-up window should appear in which you will have to enter your username and password. What you see depends on your Internet Service Provider. If you do not know the admin password, it is usually one of the following combinations:
Username - Password admin - admin admin - none none - none admin - 1234 1234 - admin 1234 - 1234 user - password
If none of these combinations works for you, check if there is any information about the username and password on the router label or some documentation included with the router box. Alternatively, contact your ISP directly and ask for the Admin password.
How to change the password?
Once you have gained access, you will see a screen with various configuration options. This menu will vary depending on your ISP and the router manufacturer. Here are the parameters that you need to locate:
Look for the Network Name (SSID) or WiFi Network Name option that refers to the name of your Wifi network. Replace it with a new one.
Find the option WPA key, this is the password used to connect to your Wifi. Delete it and write a new one. It is important that you choose a new password with high security, which includes both numbers and lowercase and uppercase letters.
In the security section, you can increase it for WPA2.
How to protect access to your router?
If the admin password that you entered was one of the default password combinations, it might be a good idea to change the admin password to prevent other people from guessing it.
For this, you will need to go into the router configuration menu and look for the Password Settings. You will need to enter your pre-existing password and username before changing it to your preferred password. Once you have confirmed these changes, you can log in using the new credentials.
- How do you change your hotmail email password > Guide
- Connect to railway WiFi: mobile, laptop, station, free > Guide
- How to update your Netflix email and password > Guide
- Someone hacked my fb account and changed my password > Forum - Facebook
- How to change and reset Facebook password: mobile, computer > Guide
- What is WiFi and how does it work?
- How to setup Airtel broadband connection: in Windows
- Set up a Wireless Router: connect, configure, settings
- How to access Spectrum WiFi hotspots: login, in my area
- Linksys router: not working, incorrect password
- How to change IP address: on iPhone, Windows, Mac, via cmd
- Share WiFi password: between iPhone, Android, PC, Mac
- How to configure the Wi-Fi mode of your Freebox?
- How to choose the best WiFi channel?
- How to connect to Wi-Fi: iPhone, iPod
- Unable to connect to WiFi: encrypted with WPA
- Everything about different WiFi modes of operation
- Windows 7 can't connect to WiFi: what to do?
- Everything about Wi-Fi 6: speed, devices
- How to secure NetGear router: login, password
- Introduction to Wi-Fi (802.11 or WiFi)
- Find a Wi-Fi password in Windows
- What are the public WiFi risks?
- Best apps to boost your WiFi signal
- How to increase WiFi range: router, antenna, repeater
- How to know if your WiFi is being stolen