Your WiFi signal at home sometimes does not work as well as we would like. This can be due to many reasons, from electromagnetic interference to objects that hinder the connection. To improve your WiFi signal, there are free applications that you can download to improve the signal quality. First, check out these tips.
How to choose the best place for your router?
The Wi-Fi signal range depends a lot on the position of your router at home. Therefore, we advise you to place the router in the center of your home to cover the broadest possible range. Also, make sure that the router is away from metal structures (i.e., telephones and microwaves) since they operate on the same frequency (2.4 GHz):
If you can, move your router away from your neighbor's house as much as possible and ensure it is not using the same WiFi channel. Finally, check that the router's firmware is updated to work as efficiently as possible.
Expand the range of your WiFi signal with repeaters or another antenna
WiFi repeaters allow you to amplify the signal and maximize the reach of your network. There are different models in the market that are not too expensive. On the other hand, if the antennas protrude, you can move them so that they point to the place of the house that interests you. In the worst case, you can remove the included antenna and replace it with a more powerful model, although not all router models allow for this:
What free programs can help you verify and improve your WiFi connection?
If you have a smartphone, tablet, or PC, you can install an application to verify your WiFi network's status and range.
For smartphones and tablets:
- Network Analyzer: Helps you diagnose various problems in the configuration of the WiFi network and your internet connectivity. It is also capable of detecting various problems on remote servers.
- Wifi Analyzer: for Android: With this app, you can discover WiFi networks in your area and choose the least busy channel.
- Netgear Genie: An application available for iOS and it's Android, it allows you to access the functions of the router with your mobile, being able to modify wireless settings, network map, parental controls, guest access, traffic measurement, etc.
- NETGEAR WiFi Analytics: Available for Android and offers advanced analytics to improve your signal, including your network status, the best channels, and other functions.
- Finally, if you want to handle these questions on your desktop, WiFiCoverage will allow you to do it for free.