Feel like escaping to a desert island these days with the quarantine and social distancing measures in place? Why not escape to a desert island and make it your own paradise at the same time? Taking over the gaming world, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the latest instalment in the social simulation video game series in which players inhabit an interactive world (in this case an island), can craft tools and comforts, hunt insects, decorate their paradise or enjoy a sunset on the beach. To make it even more enjoyable, we’ve included some tips, tricks and even some cheats. Read on for the good stuff.
Unlock Golden Tools
To unlock the following list of golden tools, you need to complete the corresponding tasks:
- Golden Axe: Break 100 of any axe type.
- Golden Net: Donate all bugs to the museum.
- Golden Rod: Donate all fish to the museum.
- Golden Shovel: Rescue Gulliver 30 times.
- Golden Slingshot: Shoot down over 300 balloons to enable a gold balloon to spawn. Pop the gold balloon to get the recipe inside.
- Golden Watering Can: Get a five star Island Evaluation.
An increasingly popular cheat in the Animal Crossing series, is time travelling. Time travelling in New Horizons can be beneficial for a number of reasons, not only can players restock their island with important new resources, fossils etc, but they can also fast forward construction time on buildings and other features on the island. If done correctly, time travelling can advance a players’ island progress by a day once daily tasks have been completed.
Since the game runs on the Nintendo Switch’s internal clock, you can change the time and date on the internal settings of the console whenever you’re not playing the game. This will allow you to fast forward or rewind the date and time as you wish.
Secret Tips And Tricks
- Earn extra money from Rocks: One rock a day will be loaded with bells instead of minerals which when hit repeatedly, will generate more money. Each rock can be hit up to 8 times, just be sure to dig holes behind you before you hit so that your character doesn’t get knocked back each time.
- Short on time? Craft Faster: When crafting a recipe and at the stage where the ingredients are being tossed around, press the A button repeatedly to speed up the process.
- Grow Money Trees: Everyday on your island, there is one glowing hole to be found. If you dig up said hole with a shovel you will automatically receive 1,000 bells but if you replant the bells (or any amount of bells) in the same glowing hole, a money tree will grow in its place. The return on the money tree is 3 bags of bells, so definitely worth the investment. Note each money tree can only produce bells once.
- Fishing in the Rain: Fishing can be hard at the best of times, but especially so if you’re trying to make money. To increase your chances, you should always go fishing in the rain as sometimes during the rain, you’ll find the rarest species worth up to 15,000 bells!
- Wish Upon a Shooting Star: If you happen to see a shooting star, tilt your camera up towards it, ensure you have nothing in your hands and quickly press the A button to wish on it. The fragments will wash up on the beach the next day.
- Shaking trees: This has been a key feature since the beginning of Animal Crossing however a little known fact is that you can harvest the wood gathered from tree branches which is then essential for crafting. Shaking the trees will produce an infinite amount of branches (ergo resources for you),but make sure there is nothing on the ground to get in the way of falling branches.
- Wasps Nests: Sometimes pesky wasps nests just appear over night. Instead of the usual cures to rid yourself of them, shake the tree and release a party popper. This will instantly get rid of the nest.
All of these secrets and tips are for the latest edition of Animal Crossing for Nintendo. There is also a version available for smartphones called Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp
. Check it out here
This document, titled « Secret Tips and Cheats for Animal Crossing: New Horizons », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM