FOR WINDOWS 8:
1) go to control panel
2) click on hardware and sound tab
3) Find Synaptics TouchPad (at the very bottom for me) and click on it
4) find where it says PalmCheck-Enhanced and ckick on it
5) move the mouse right and click on the settings button beside where it says PalmCheck-Enhanced
6) At the top, drag the arrow on the bar all the way left to turn it off.
I had to install the latest synaptics drivers for the option to show http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers I was using v. 22.214.171.124 from sept. 09. The latest ones as of today were v16.2.21 from nov. 2012 :)