No sound on internet browsers

Solved/Closed
Croakies Posts 5 Registration date Tuesday May 31, 2011 Status Member Last seen May 31, 2011 - May 31, 2011 at 01:56 AM
 sri - Apr 22, 2012 at 08:44 AM
Hello,
The audio on my Internet Explorer and Firefox does not work. The audio on my computer, such as iTunes, system sounds, basically everything that has nothing to do with the browsers, work perfectly fine. The last thing I did before this happened was delete an infected file through Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program. It said I had to restart my computer in order to complete the deletion of the infected file but I was busy and did not restart right away. The sound on the browsers after the scan was working perfectly fine. I forgot about restarting my computer and left it on for two days before my power went out, and when I turned my computer back on, I couldn't hear sound on videos that use Flash Player.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (build 7600). I've literally have been searching for a solution to this problem for the last 16 hours straight and I've yet to find anything that will fix this. So far, I have tried the following:

*Checked options on both browsers and they are where they should be.
*Checked the mixer, nothing is muted, but I read that there should be a box for the browser volume control when I play something that has sound but that doesn't even show up when I play a video on youtube.
*Uninstalled and reinstalled Flash Player.
*Tried every jack and USB port on my computer and still nothing.
*Did two different system restores to two different dates when everything was normal, before I even deleted the infected file with Malwarebytes'.
*Used Ccleaner and installed the K-lite codec pack (the mega pack and the 64 bit pack).
*Checked the the System32 file for the msacm32.drv and it is there.
*Checked the registry for wavemapper which was there and also made sure it had msacm32.drv as the value data.
*Used the registry fix (missing.reg) that is basically found in EVERY post related to this problem.
*Made sure all the permissions were set to the correct settings.
*Made sure sound drivers were up to date.
*Uninstalled and reinstalled the sound device and drivers.
*Ran a sfc /scannow on cmd and after it finished it said it was unable to fix the files.
*Even went as far as making a new non-admin user and still nothing there.

I'm beyond annoyed and frustrated. It seems like everybody else out there finds a solution to this except for me. So far this has proven to be impossible to solve.

PLEASE help me find a solution. My last resort might have to be doing a clean install of Windows again and I really don't want to do that.

Your time and help will be GREATLY appreciated. Sorry for the wall of text.
Related:

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,172
Oct 2, 2011 at 04:08 PM
@JD

Copy this text into notepad (starting with Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00) and save it to your desktop using the name "missing.reg":

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"midimapper"="midimap.dll"
"msacm.imaadpcm"="imaadp32.acm"
"msacm.msadpcm"="msadp32.acm"
"msacm.msg711"="msg711.acm"
"msacm.msgsm610"="msgsm32.acm"
"msacm.trspch"="tssoft32.acm"
"vidc.cvid"="iccvid.dll"
"VIDC.I420"="i420vfw.dll"
"vidc.iv31"="ir32_32.dll"
"vidc.iv32"="ir32_32.dll"
"vidc.iv41"="ir41_32.ax"
"VIDC.IYUV"="iyuv_32.dll"
"vidc.mrle"="msrle32.dll"
"vidc.msvc"="msvidc32.dll"
"VIDC.YVYU"="msyuv.dll"
"wavemapper"="msacm32.drv"
"msacm.msg723"="msg723.acm"
"vidc.M263"="msh263.drv"
"vidc.M261"="msh261.drv"
"msacm.msaudio1"="msaud32.acm"
"msacm.sl_anet"="sl_anet.acm"
"msacm.iac2"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\iac25_32.ax"
"vidc.iv50"="ir50_32.dll"
"wave"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer"="wdmaud.drv"
"VIDC.WMV3"="wmv9vcm.dll"
"VIDC.VP40"="vp4vfw.dll"
"msacm.voxacm160"="vct3216.acm"
"MSVideo"="vfwwdm32.dll"
"MSVideo8"="VfWWDM32.dll"
"wave1"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi1"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer1"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux"="wdmaud.drv"
"vidc.VP70"="vp7vfw.dll"
"vidc.X264"="x264vfw.dll"
"VIDC.FPS1"="frapsvid.dll"
"vidc.VP60"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP61"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP62"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.DIVX"="DivX.dll"
"VIDC.UYVY"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YUY2"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YVU9"="tsbyuv.dll"
"VIDC.DRAW"="DVIDEO.DLL"
"VIDC.YV12"="yv12vfw.dll"
"wave2"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi2"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer2"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux1"="wdmaud.drv"
"wave3"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi3"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer3"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux2"="wdmaud.drv"
"VIDC.MSUD"="msulvc05.dll"
"wave4"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi4"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer4"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux3"="wdmaud.drv"

After saving the file, go to START > RUN > and type 'regedit' and then click OK
In the registry, select FILE > IMPORT and select the "missing.reg" file from your desktop
You should get a confirmation that it was imported successfully.

This is an instant fix ... your speakers should now work for web sounds, no reboot required.

Let me know or I can make your computer bark every 2.3 seconds for hours,

Good luck
Hiya,

am going nuts with my sudden -no audio on youtube.

- I check the global and normal settings.
- uninstalled and reinstalled all adobe stuff I had installed
- did all what was on this site,
- checked the volume panel in case it was muted (obviously, also checked teh volume)
- went to internet options and made sure "play sound on websites" is on,
- made sure to enable active x, java, flash stuff - well those bis

The problem started when I got a really nasty trojan, refef.k and siilars and I refused to reformat my computer because I cannot find my Windows 7 CD.

To defeat that bstrd I had to (not confidently, but thinking that may be a last resource before reformattng as none of the antimalwares worked) fiddle with the registry. I must have deleted some registry folder that was connected to this Flash (or whatever relates to youtube) not to work.

As I saw you posted something related to the registry (which i, unsuccessfully tried) I wonder if you may have any ideas on how to repair/add/check other registry folders that should be there and are not.

Thanks!! :)
Andrea
nothing changes on me .. pls help ???