Greetings and salutations to kioskea network. I have a Dell laptop 6400 that upon boot just ends up in a black screen with a flashing cursor. Can anyone please give me some ideas as to how to solve this. I really would greatly appreciate it...Thanks
This symptom (blank screen with cursor at the top left side of the screen) in most of the cases indicates Hard Drive issues. Please try the below mentioned steps and check if this helps:
1. Power off the computer and disconnect all the power sources and external devices.
2. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds and then release.
3. Put the Power Source back and power on the computer and check if the computer boots normally.
4. If the computer doesn't boot normally in step 3, check in the BIOS if the Hard Drive is detected.
5. If the Hard Drive is not listed in BIOS, Load the BIOS Defaults and then restart the computer.
6. If you again get the same screen, take a technician's help to re-seat the Hard Drive (if you wish to do it yourself you can refer to service manual).
Note: Before you start working insides of the computer, please go through the pre-removal instructions mentioned in Service Manual, this is for your and machine's safety.
7. After re-seating if the Hard Drive is not detected again, please try a different Hard Drive cable if this is a desktop.
8. If the Hard Drive is still not detected, you need to replace the Hard Drive.
9. If the Hard Drive is listed in Step 4, run the Dell 32-bit diagnostics provided on the Hard Drive. Click here to get steps on how to run Dell 32-bit diagnostics.
10. If the Hard Drive Test gives any error please reply with the error message.
Some of the steps mentioned above are specific to system models, if you need steps on how to perform those steps, please refer to the Service Manual.
Please do write back to us.
To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6 Thanks & Regards