Wifi connected but can't open any websites

Solved/Closed
notit novice Posts 3 Registration date Monday February 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 16, 2014 - Updated on Sep 16, 2017 at 07:34 AM
 ali_sayafan - Mar 24, 2018 at 06:06 AM
Since Friday morning my HP laptop (has windows 7 home premium) can't open any websites. It shows the internet connected on the network (on IPV4). I have rebooted, restarted modem. released and renewed IPconfig, disabled bonjour, to no avail. Ran multiple diagnostics, one of them said "One or more network protocols are missing."

The other part of the problem is when connected through ethernet directly to modem, laptop tells it is unidentified network, the diagnostic identified error as " local area connection does not have a valid IP configuartion."

Please help.

25 responses

notit nolvice
Mar 2, 2014 at 12:39 AM
ac3mark,

I did both, thank you for suggestion, but nothing changed.

kieferschild,

I did a system restore based on a back up, I was thinking all the programs installed between then and now to have gone and the ones that were uninstalled to have reappeared. Both did not happen, so I am puzzled a bit.

my laptop shows a recovery disk D, almost 16 gb large. can you please explain what needs to be done? thanks for the help so far.
xpcman,

my machine did not have IP Helper and I do not know how to find which \{Guid} in the interfaces subfolder corresponds to wifi network. It has 4 folders {brackets} and one of them has a subfolder. So pl. help to identify so that the procedure can be done. I disabled the Ipv6.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Mar 4, 2014 at 01:19 PM
Click "Start," and then type "cmd" and the press "Enter." Type "net config rdr" and the press "Enter" from the "Command Prompt" window. Note the last four characters of active adapter's TCP/IP GUID.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_4966595_repair-dhcp-windows.html#ixzz2v1GMHIBS
thanks xpcman but no change. I think the only thing remaining to do is reset to factory setting. I will try that. hope that resolves issue.
Blocked Profile
Feb 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Can you run command prompt as administrator (click start and search for cmd)

type sfc /scannow and report on the results.

can you also go to control panel > internet options > delete your temp files and then go to the advanced tab and hit reset and restore then apply.

what is the make/model of your PC.

Sometimes when my internet is down I forget the rest of my computer works.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I am suspecting it has something to do with the windows firewall. It is telling me to update firewall settings and when I click the "use recommended settings" tab it is giving a message - windows firewall can't change some of your settings Error code - 0x80070424, may be I am wrong.

Also I can't connect to internet even with Ethernet connection. with this it does not even show internet availability