Black screen [Closed]

-
 d -
Hello,
I tried to adjust the display settings on my dell PC to work on a flat screen monitor, now when windows xp loads, I get a black screen...

1 reply

Registration date
Wednesday October 8, 2008
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
you might try to boot into "Safe Mode".
Just hit F8 multiple times after you start the computer.

Then I suggest you change the settings back to something the laptop (if it is a laptop) understands.

Good Luck
It will not allow me to enter safe mode. When I try, it stays on screen that has about 20 lines of code
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
6,370 > d
That's what happens when you start Safe Mode. It's a list of programs that Windows starts. What is the last program that is listed? It will probably tell us something about the problem.

What version of Windows are you using?
>
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019

I'm using Windows xp professional. Last line of code reads
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019
6,370 > d
if Mup.sys is the last one, then you might have hardware issues.
First run the recovery console using the WinXp istallation disk press R, logon to your partion and run scandisk or chekdisk maybe using the repair parameter.
if it finds errors you should run fixboot to make sure the boot sector is ok.
if any of the files are missing or corrupted you have to recopy them from the installation disk or an existing windows os that is knonw to work.
i also recommend reseting the BIOS and make sure the acpi and anything else related to power management is enabled. you can also try taking out 1 memory module and the video card if present or just swap the memory from their dimms. this will force the bios to update the configuration.
>
Registration date
Status
Contributor
Last seen
June 15, 2019

I'll have to find the disk. Thank you for your advice.