IE 8 cannot access any internet web pages [Solved/Closed]

-
Hello, I'm having a problem gaining access to the internet with IE, cannot up date avg 8 for virus protection. I can still go on line through Google Chrome and I'm receiving my e-mail but whenever I try to go on line through IE, I get a message saying cannot access this web page, my anti virus is well out of date. Is there some other way to update the AVG without going through IE ? I have tried down loading the update to my downloads but I don't know how to get it installed into the AVG, it says that it is a bin file, whatever that is . I have AVG 8 installed and I have IE 8 installed, my windows program is xp media addition sp3. I don't know much about computer ,only enough to get me in trouble. Has anyone had this problem ??? Help
See more 

20/43 replies

Thank you
Simple solution to being unable to connect to http sites. Here is the whole story. Had a very nasty virus. rogue malware that says it is anti virus software and reports a virus on your computer and when you launch internet explorer you can only go to their website. Brings in a multitude of popups and contantly says you are being attaced by a virus and asks if you want to launch your antivirus software. Real bugger. Had to download Malwarebytes anti malware on a different computer attached to my network, then place it on a shared file on the network and bring it to the infected computer. Could only install and run in safe mode. It got rid of the virus but when I launched IE8 afterword I could only access https sites and not http sites. Was driving me crazy!! After a few frustrating hours trying to find a solution I was just getting ready to wipe and reinstall everything when I did one last check in the toos section of IE8 and noticed that the proxy box in the connections tab under LAN settings was checked. I unchecked it and checked the auto detect proxy box and my problem was solved. Apparently the virus must have check the proxy box and perhaps put its web address in and that was why I could only go to their web page. As I said, really nasty malware virus. Hope this helps someone.
Thank you
Thanks - this worked for me.
Thank you
My fix was to go to Internet Options, Connections tab. Select Lan Settings button.
Make sure that nothing is checked for proxy.
Thank you
try to update ur IE from google chrom then ur problem will solve
ok
Thank you
Unchecking the "Automatically detect settings" in the LAN settings button on the Connections tab of the Internet Explorer options worked for me.
Thank you
Just wanted to say thanks to Arthur.
This worked perfectly for me as well.
3 days of frustration solved in 2 minutes.
Thank you
its sad that ive read all 106 answers and have not come to a solution. My problem is similar in ways. I have IE firefox and chrome. Chrome is the only browser that is letting me browse web pages right now. IE and firefox have been succesfully denying me for a few days now. Ive tried alot of the so called solutions with not so much as a tiny bit of success from any of them. I even reinstalled OS just cuz I had the time and the need to do it but im still stuck with the same issue. Their has to be an answer, if not please give me a number to a techy and ill talk their ear off till its fixed
Thank you
This problem drove me crazy. Go to Tools, Internet options, LAN settings and choose Automatically detect settings. Done deal....
Thank you
hey guys... I was having this same problem, but I decided to try this... open up your antivirus software (i'm using Norton Antivirus) and go to settings. Click on firewall. Click on Program Rules. Scroll down until you see Internet Explorer. Set Access to "ALLOW".
N.B: If IE is not there, then add it to the list and set Access to "ALLOW".
Thank you
Dear W. Kiernan

Comment 48 it's work.

Many Thanksssssss

you r a man
Thank you
I was facing similar problem after I switched from Norton Antivirus to BitDefender and simultaneously installed IE 8. I tried all the techniques mentioned on this thread for last 8 hours but no luck. I even installed firefox and tried connecting through that. But again, the same message. Finally, on some other forum, I came to know about the Norton Software Removal tool. I downloaded it through other machine and ran on this machine. Bingo ; things started working immediately after the reboot.

I think the problem was because Norton did not get removed completely from the system and it was causing the browsers to malfunction. So if you have recently switched the antivirus; make sure that you uninstall earlier one completely. BTW, after loading firefox; I realized it being definitely better than IE and have made that as my default browser :) Never realized the great progress made by Mozilla post NetScape era.
Thank you
Hey guys, found some of this to be helpful in my situation...thought I'd share what I did. I have IE8 and AVG Free on my computers and all of a sudden IE8 would not display ANY site. Firefox worked fine, pings to internet sites (Google) worked fine. So, Sharky58 helped me to check something. Rather than get rid of AVG completely, I simply disabled the AVG add-ons in IE8. Tools->Internet Options->Programs Tab->Manage add-ons. Look for the "AVG Safe Search", highlight it and click disable then click on close. Restart IE8 and you should be back surfin' again
Thank you
I loaded AVG last summer and recently installed IE8. And since I have an intermittent problem of "cannot display the webpage".
I have disinstalled AVG and now it's working perfectly. Have to get another anti-virus or retry reinstalling AVG
Thank you
I HATE FIREFOX IT DID THE SAME THING TO MEEEEEE

MOZILLA ALWAYS WANTS ATTENTION ON ITS PRODUCTS! NOT MICROSOFTS!
Thank you
my IE 8 does not respond.. but firefox works how can I fix it?
Thank you
Well, here's one that no one has documented anywhere - and it took me calling Microsoft Tech support to find out.

I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 from Windows Vista Ultimate x64. IE 64 bit worked, but IE8 256-bit and Firefox both opened, but brought up blank tabs. I tried all the fixes recommended here and on other sites that popped up - nothing worked. So I called Microsoft for free installation support. Here is what worked:

1. right click on the cmd prompt and open as administrator
2. at the commend line type "netsh winsock reset"
3. Reboot.

This solved problems with both IE8 256-bit and Firefox 3.5.6

Hope this helps.

Arthur
I have had this for Opera and IE
it didn't solve the problem for me~~~~~~~~

May the problem be related to Registry Error?
Arthur - this worked perfectly thank you

Fiona
this fixed my IE8 problem. The problem I encountered was that in IE8 after the McAfee upgrade I received on 5/7/2010 was that I could not go to pages that were just HTTP, only HTTPS sites. I am on XP SP3. The "netsh winsock reset" command fixed the problem after I rebooted. I tried resetting all the settings in IE and turning most of McAfee off but nothing worked until I reset winsock.

THANKS
i tried this as a last resort because nothing else seemed to work.
i should've done it first.
thanks SO MUCH!!! :)
um, not to be a prick, but I believe you mean 32-bit... there is no 256-bit programs or operating systems, only 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64).

anyhow this might could work to fix this laptops internet issues, thanks for posting it.
Thank you
Norton is famous for causing conflicts when it is updated or uninstalled.
Seems to leave a piece here and there and internet access is trashed.
Go to the Symantec site and download free Norton removal tool.
Use any computer with internet access and save it to a thumb drive.
then run the tool on your computer that doesn't connect.
Restart and give it a whirl.
Beats digging around in th sys and reg files for all those little bits and pieces that
get left behind on a straight uninstall.
Good luck
Thank you
is work! thank you
Thank you
hello, I just had the same problem after trying to update my adobe.. the internet explorer would pop up for a milisecond and close... so, all I had to do was get on another computer and goto cnet.com(download.com) and download the IE8 to my flash drive and reinstall it on my computer .. its was a quick simple fix! good luck all
Thank you
Okay, so I dont know the technicalities or anything..but my boyfriend is away at college and just this week he bought the upgrade from Vista to Win7. After downloading it, the computer told him to uninstall norton because it was no longer compatible. Ever since, he's unable to use any type of internet. He's sure it has to do with not having Norton anymore because he's tried restoring the computer previous to any updates, turning everything off and restarting, unplugging his router, EVERYTHING. i'm posting this because its finals week and he needs his computer, but we have no idea what he is supposed to do? if all he has to do is re-install Norton, he's currently SOL because he can't find his CD for it, but he will be able to download the version his dad just got with the laptop he bought last week. ANYWAY...any solution for this issue? or does he just need to wait until next week when he is home to get his dad's version of 09 norton?
1 2 3 Next