IE 8 cannot access any internet web pages

Solved/Closed
dumbdum - Updated on Jun 6, 2017 at 03:42 PM
 Ramrod - Dec 26, 2018 at 10:48 PM
Hello, I'm having a problem gaining access to the internet with IE, cannot up date avg 8 for virus protection. I can still go on line through Google Chrome and I'm receiving my e-mail but whenever I try to go on line through IE, I get a message saying cannot access this web page, my anti virus is well out of date. Is there some other way to update the AVG without going through IE ? I have tried down loading the update to my downloads but I don't know how to get it installed into the AVG, it says that it is a bin file, whatever that is . I have AVG 8 installed and I have IE 8 installed, my windows program is xp media addition sp3. I don't know much about computer ,only enough to get me in trouble. Has anyone had this problem ??? Help

43 responses

I had the problem of IE8 not accessing most web pages too- also, on the pages it did reach, none of the buttons on the page worked.
It turned out to be Microsoft's new security rules for IE8!
Basically you are not allowed to go to any web page you want to! ...and you are not allowed to use any feature on the page.

I had to add EVERY site I visited to the trusted site list in tools >internet options, otherwise it would not work .

I agree IE8 sucks.
In other browsers you simply type in th eurl and it goes trhere--- AND the page works- buttons and links too.

Isn't that what a browser is supposed to do? to actually do what you want?
James

Thank you very much for such an elegant and simple fix. Microsoft Windows and all its associated programs is trash and nothing short of voodoo!

You, however are a beam of light in the dark and murky Microsoft software world.

Thanks again.
Altho James's suggestion may have worked for you it did not for me.
A bloke called Leonard Grey suggested this & so far it has worked for me:

Run Internet Explorer in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed.
Hello everyone...

I believe IE8 has multiple bugs since all of the above suggestions did not work.

The strange thing is that on my DC (windows server 2003), everything works fine under the administrator profile. But when on log onto the machine with a user account other than administrator, IE8 does not work, even though I log on with a user that has administrative rights.

There must be something going wrong with AD... anyone with a similiar setup?

A thousand thanks,

Al.
If yu are connected via a ROUTER, go to:
- Control Panel -> Settings-> Network Places
LAN - (Properties)
- Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Click on (Properties)

Make certain that you use "Obtain an IP address automatically.

If it anything else, it will probably interfere with reaching the Internet, since the computer will have
an odd addess and not appear on the DHCP List.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
We discovered that this problems occur when you have Norton installed and for what reasons Norton didnot start. Removing Norton and the problem is gone.

this is simmilair with other antivirus products. The biggest problem with windows is software vendors with very low quality software.
I work for Dell "Your Tech Team" (Advanced / Premium consumer support) and came to this forum in hopes to find the resoultion on the problem in this subject. The recomendations on this forum were very helpful so I'd like to sumerize the logical items that should be done when one experiances this problem.

(Vista / Windows 7 - this summer is designed for people that have an intermediate understanding of the OS)

Going to try to list things in a logical order here from simplest first

* Check your network activity in the Network and Sharing Center - verify network connection is on

* Make sure the "work offline" is not checked in Tools menu or the registry is not set to work offline
(https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/195730

* Disable all firewall software or manually add exceptions for Internet Explorer
* Verify IP address is appropriate and is set to recive an IP address automatically (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US

* Check Device Manager for conflics and errors (specifically under Network Adaptors)

* Reset Internet Explorer settings (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/923737

* Reset / Rebuild TCP/IP and Winsock library.
(https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/299357/how-to-reset-tcp-ip-by-using-the-netshell-utility - TCP/IP reset
(https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/811259/how-to-determine-and-to-recover-from-winsock2-corruption-in-windows-se - Winsock reset

* Run a System File Check for corrupted OS files
(https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

* Uninstall ALL recent updates
(https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/948537

* In safe mode run all malware / spyware / anti-virus scans possible
(https://www.avg.com/fr-fr/homepage
(https://www.malwarebytes.com/
(https://www.safer-networking.org/
I had this problem of internet connection but no web pages loading on either ie8 or firefox up until a few minutes ago. I noticed this problem occured after an early morning windows security update on 10/23/09. I uninstalled this update and rebooted. ie8 loads web pages fine now. I am uninstalling firefox now and will try a new download from the website plus I think I'll add chrome for good measure...................I hate updates sometimes................
opera is the choice - it allows one to switch the user agent string that is broadcast in the html headers.

visit - www.opera.com for more info.

cheers. for getting around those roadblock

https://ccm.net/downloads/internet/4573-opera/
This solved my problem... I have XP, McAfee, IE8,... the McAfee firewall was blocking IE, I had to add the program to the list of approved applications and IE8 started started working... thanks
Just installed Windows 7 64 bit with IE 8. Worked fine until I did all updates then started getting many blank pages. Went to the start button, typed in internet explorer in the search box at the bottom and discovered IE (64 bit). Tried running that one and all was well. Not to say it won't play up in an hour or so because many people have reported a delay in the symptoms. Hope this helps.
I've read through all of the suggestions here, tried them all (including restoring to a point before any IE updates, and none of them work. IE8 was working fine on my daughter's PC until I installed Symantec Endpoint Protection along with updates from around 10/27 forward to today (including Vista SP2). I've done everything short of completely restoring her PC to its original backup from purchase (the absolute last desparate move). I ran a scan with Windows Defender and found nothing. She had picked up a virus and I had to use restore to bring the PC to a point prior to the virus occurring. I then installed Symantec EP to scan for any remaining viruses. I thought I was good until she told me IE8 would not connect to any web pages. I found this forum with lots of suggestions, none of which work. BTW, when I tried the Winsock reset, I got a message "Elevation Required". Any idea what that means? Thanks in advance for any help. I would install another browser but since I can't get IE8 to connect I can't download one. Maybe I'll try it from another PC and transfer the installation file.
Thanks James, that worked with the Reset feature so easily!
I'm having the same problems as mentioned. But, none of these worked for mine. I'm still accessing my web on Mozilla 3.5. My newly installed Google Chrome doesn't work either.
If you have AVG paid or AVG free, did you try turning off the link scanner?
irritated > anon
Oct 6, 2009 at 12:35 PM
Running vista home premium, my problem was no page loading in all my browsers. I primarily use firefox and about 90 minutes after turning on or rebooting the pc, any page I try to reach or any link I click results in either loading... for a long time or an error message problem loading the page. I also have ie and recently chrome, both when I start the programs cannot even load their home pages, and give a cannot reach or cannot find the address error. While the browsers cannot connect, my network reports as connected to local and internet, I can see the other machines in the network and sharing center, I can ping my router, yahoo.com, google.com, but browse to none of them. My network settings and connections settings are fine, I did once try to uninstall my network card and let it reinstall on the reboot, but 90 minutes later I was back to dead browsers. This problem begins after installing vista service pack 1, I have let it install through windows updates, and have tried by downloading the stand-alone package, I end up either uninstalling the service pack or reversing it by system restore. Because the service pack is supposed to have all these fixes and patches and security improvements, I thought I should have it, but on my pc it should be called sabotage pack. I have asked other computer people and the repair staff at various computer stores, but no one else seems to have encountered this problem. If anyone knows anything, I would like to have the sp installed, as long as it does not require me to reboot 6x a day.
Dave Stewart > irritated
Mar 12, 2010 at 12:40 PM
I have this same problem.

It started when I was infected with one of those fake virus scanner programs - XP Defender 2010 (av.exe).

I was able to prevent it from fully installing.

I ran several malware removal tools and the EXE's didn't work.

I fixed the EXE'.s and almost everything is fine. I can send/receive email and connect via FTP.

But, FireFox, Chrome, & IE8 do not work.

Firefox process starts but no window ever appears.

Chrome starts and opens a window, but can't go to any websites.

IE does the same thing as Chrome, except I can't shut it down by clicking the "X" in the corner, I need to shut the process down in Windows Task Manager.
Dave Stewart > Dave Stewart
Mar 12, 2010 at 02:37 PM
Thanks, PC-Mat.com!

I've tried dozens of recommendations from all over the Net, including yours...

I've rebooted after each and tested my browsers.

I ran your 3rd recommendation,

3) Start > Run > Type CMD > Type the following:
sfc /scannow

And that seems to have done the trick... at least for FireFox (my main browser) and IE8.

Not sure why Chrome isn't working, but I'll try to re-re-install.
PC-Mat > Dave Stewart
Mar 12, 2010 at 02:38 PM
Hi Dave,

I know you cannot see the internet through an internet browser, but are you able to get on the internet? What I mean is, you should be able to update your anti-virus program even though you cannot see the internet. Can you update it?

Also, what OS are you using?

Try the following:

1) Download the Smitfraudfix and read the page and run the program:
http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

or

2) Uninstall the Network adapter
Open Device Manager > Expand Network Adapter > Right Click on your internet network adapter and Uninstall
Reboot
If it doesn't work, try it again and then reinstall the driver. You may have to get the new driver from the device website.

or

3) Winsock and Tcp/Ip Fix
Start > Run > Type CMD > Type the following:
Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log
Press Enter > Type the following:
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog
Push Enter
I have tried all of these options except load a different browser like firefox. I am at work and will try this option tonight. My problem started when I tried to get my gmail. Now I am completley blocked. Thanks for all of the opinions and comments...
In IE, from the main menu, Tools->Internet Options-> Advanced, uncheck the box that says "Show Friendly HTTP Error Messages."
I see the same symptoms on an older Dell Dimension 4550 in the Office. It has WinXP SP3 on it. If I use Firefox (shich was on it when I started working with it) website DISPLAY in the browser just fine. When I use IE 8 it SEEMS like I get a blank page -- but in fact the page is downloaded, just not displayed (I can click on View > Source and see the HTML / Javascript code).

I have tried resetting the security and privacy internet options to the default but that is to no avail.

I wouldn't really care about it as Firefox just works - period. But you need IE to do updates (you know - like IE 8).

If anyone can explain what I'm missing I would appreciate it. More than likely someone has 'dinked' with something ....
Open IE
Tools tab > Internet Options > Advanced > Click Reset...
Finally:
Restart IE.

Other options are:
1) Uninstall the Network adapter
Open Device Manager > Expand Network Adapter > Right Click on your internet network adapter and Uninstall
Reboot
If it doesn't work, try it again and then reinstall the driver. You may have to get the new driver from the device website.

2) Winsock and Tcp/Ip Fix
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog
Push Enter
Seems that didn't solve the problem 100%. My next step was, in IE8, to go to Tools> Compatibility View Settings and check "Display all Websites in Compatibility View Mode" then click Close. So far so good.
I had a similar problem. IE8 would not navigate to some websites, for instance, AOL, but would some others. I disabled Windows firewall and then it would go to those sites so I reenabled the firewall and added an exception for IE - problem solved.
Open any folder say My Documents
In the address bar where you see My Documents type the URL address of any website.
It will open in Internet Explorer
Cheers
How the hell did that work? I SIMPLY OPENED MY DOCS, AND IN THE TITLE BAR, TYPED A URL, AND BAM! IT WORKS NOW!
Somehow this worked! Thank you Senator.
jmillspaysbills
Aug 25, 2009 at 09:31 PM
well this might be completely idiotic of me. I couldn't connect via ie8. I googled and found this site. none of the options worked... then I realized that "work offline" was selected in the "file" menu.

(i normally use a mac, and there is no absolutely pointless option on a mac)

why do they even have that button? how completely useless. anyway, you may want to look at that if nothing else has worked.
I had the same problem. What I did was I went into firefox and enabled it as my main browser so when things try and update or connect to the internet it uses firefox to do it therefore IE can be as messed up as it wants but Firefox will still connect.
Hello all,

I installed windows defender and it solved the problem after the first scan,

Trojen:Win32/Liften.B = C://WINDOWS/system32/NetFilter.exe
Trojen:Win32/Yektel.A = C://WINDOWS/system32/msxmlm.dll

i hope this helps
Installed Defender? You must be using XP.

You do make a good point... If you're computer is acting funny, run some anti-malware programs. Defender is good; AVG has anti-spyware and anti-virus... and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is great! All free, of course.
If you can't get on the internet, how did you install Windows Defender? It is only available at www.microsoft.com?
PC-Mat > Saturn
Sep 2, 2009 at 08:29 PM
It's not that the computer couldn't connect to the internet, but IE 8 could not access web pages. Also, you can download Defender on it's own with a working computer:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=435BFCE7-DA2B-4A6A-AFA4-F7F14E605A0D&displaylang=en

And install it on the problem computer.
James probably meant this because reseting Advanced settings is not fundamental enough:
Open IE
Tools tab > Internet Options > Advanced > Click Reset...
Finally:
Restart IE.

Other options are:
1) Uninstall the Network adapter
Reboot

2) Winsock and Tcp/Ip Fix
Push Enter

3) Run sfc /scannow
Insert your XP disc
sfc /scannow
On my vista laptop option states reset is not recognised as an internal or external command
PC-Mat.com > Charlie
Jul 31, 2009 at 07:38 AM
Make sure you are the administrator and/or run cmd as admin.

For vista: Click start > type in search bar: cmd > right click on cmd at the top of the results > click run as administrator > then try running your commands
I ha similar problem with ie8 in windows 7. ie 8 intially used to open webpages but after sometime suddenly it used to blankout.I checked my internet connection---it was fine. I tried to follow all your methods but still it used to repeat. I have hp desktop 8180 model. Itried to install firefox and goole chrome but whatever browser I used, the Problem repeated. The only way to get my web browser working again is to reboot my pc.Hp support site has no updates for windows 7. So a few days ago I happened to download and install the following upgrades for windows 7(directly from their respective websites): intel chipset driver for windows 7, Nvidia graphic driver update for windows 7, and ralink wireless usb and wired driver software update for windows 7. To my surprise all my browser problems disappeared. No more ie 8 blankouts.
after spending 1/2 the am trying to figure this out I found your post and the first solution you posted worked for me. I had booted up in safe mode to remove a trojan horse and IE was affected. Thank you so much.
Found a simple solution:
Control Panel
Add?Remove Programs
Select 'Add/Remove Windows Components' on the left
Click 'Show Updates' on top
Remove all IE8 updates, starting at the bottom of the list
When all IE8 updates are removed, remove IE8
Everything works!

This is similar to the XP 'Upgrade' to Vista (lol)
Try this, it worked for me:

Open IE
Tools tab > Internet Options > restore Adanced Settings and Reset Internet Explorer settings.
Restart IE.

Good Luck!
James!

Mannnnn....I have searched everywhere for an answer...I can't believe it was SOOO simple!

Thanks for taking the time to post the info! I am working out of town and *had* to get IE to work.

You are the man!

(: me :)
James,

Awesome tip ! Worked like a charm...any ideas on what would have to happen to cause IE8 to not work?

thanks!!!

lcdespo
This worked like a charm - thanks!
Tools
Internet Options
Connections tab
LAN Settings button
"Use a proxy server" check box is checked

I uncheck it, suddenly everything works again!
James,

Thanks for that quick fix! I tried resetting almoste everything else under the sun, but missed that! I had a nice fun run-in with that nasty anti-virus pro 2009. After some manual removals and scans and such all was good with firefox, chrome, and all other methods and ports accessing the outside world minus whatever that IE hijack was. Might not fix everyone's problems but in this instance of hijacking it worked so thanks again!