To connect an Xbox to the internet through a PC, a bridge connection is required. Even though it is not ideal to use the PC to connect the Xbox to the internet, it can be done through the concept of bridging.
What is bridging
A router is required to connect the Xbox through the internet connection being used by the PC. Once the physical network is in place, the bridge can be connected on the PC by configuring the network connections and settings on the PC. Once connected to the internet, sign in to Xbox Live. Creating a PC to Xbox bridge connection will slow the internet for the Xbox whenever the PC starts processing data.
How to connect an Xbox to a PC
While bridging is not the ideal means of using your computer's internet connection to access Xbox Live, here are some tips on doing so. Be warned, bridging can sometimes cause lagging during online gameplay.
To do this you will need: a router, a wireless card and a network LAN port.
Connecting the bridge on the PC
If you have all this on your PC:
- Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections
- Make sure your wireless connection is active
- Select the wireless connection and hold the "CTRL" key and click on the Local Area Connection so both are now highlighted
- Right click one of them and click "Bridge connection"
- Warning: This will disconnect you from the internet. If at any point you change your mind, simply highlight your wireless and LAN connections as before and right click > Remove from bridge.
- Wait 30 seconds or so for the PC to sort itself out
- Warning: Your internet may not work straight away please read on and give it some time
- Try right-clicking the wireless connection and selecting Properties. Click OK in the new window.
- If the computer still does not recognize the wireless connection, double check the bridge is connected to the correct router by going to Connection Settings
- If you cannot see the router when you click View Available Wireless Networks it may be switched off or the signal may be too weak
- If you can see it, connect to it.
- If none of these work, your equipment may be faulty or the signal not strong enough.
Connecting to Xbox Live
Once you have your internet working on the PC:
- Connect your Xbox to the PC using the LAN port on the PC
- Turn on the Xbox
- The connection may well fail at this point. This is OK
- Follow the steps in Part 1 again, but this time make sure the LAN connection is the active one
- From the Xbox, try to sign into Live again. It should work this time
If this has not worked:
- Check all the cables are working and properly connected
- Edit the network settings on your Xbox:
- Go to IP and select Manual Settings
- For the IP address enter 192.168.*.20
- In subnet mask enter 255.255.255.0
- In default gateway enter 192.168.*.1
- In all the above cases, replace the * with the corresponding number in the IP address listed in the settings for the Network Bridge on the PC (often 0)
- Edit the DNS settings on your Xbox:
- Set both the primary and secondary addresses to 192.168.*.1
- Replace the * as instructed above
- If problems persist, restart your Xbox and ensure the LAN connection is active
- If this does not work, check your firewall settings on the PC are not interfering with the connection
- Connect xbox 360 to wifi
- How to bridge connection from pc to xbox
- How to connect xbox 360 to internet through laptop (windows 10)
- Connect controller to PC: bluetooth, wireless, PS4 > Guide
- How to connect iphone to pc for internet > Guide
- Instal my logitech webcam with out cd [solved] > Forum - Webcam
- How to connect your Playstation 4 to PC > Guide
- Сonnect AirPods to PC, Macbook > Guide
- Enable zoom Xbox: Series X, One, controller
- Stop Xbox from turning off: while updating, automatically
- How to change language on Xbox one: account, game pass
- Xbox friend online notification: app, not working
- How to refresh Xbox One: dashboard
- How To Enable 3D on Xbox One
- How to uninstall games on Xbox: One, Series S|X, app
- Xbox One guest account: not working, 2020
- How to change Xbox One console name
- Mute all other sounds Xbox: chat mixer
- Connect Xbox One controller: to Xbox Series X
- How to clear persistent storage on Xbox One
- How does Xbox Game Pass work: on PC, on mobile, cost
- Xbox Series X|S: price, release date, stock, games
- Xbox error code: 0x87dd0013
- How to fix Attempting to read media on Xbox 360
- How to clear history on Xbox One?
- How to disable Smartglass on Xbox One
- Browse the Internet in private mode on Xbox One
- How to turn off notifications on Xbox One
- Xbox controller not detected: on Xbox
- View mobile websites on the Xbox One
- How to appear offline on Xbox One
- What is Xbox Cloud Gaming
- How to turn off game recording on Xbox One?