Ask a question Report

Screen doesn't display [Solved/Closed]

pahal - Latest answer on Jan 5, 2013 09:23AM
Hello,
i got the problem in my HP pavilion dv2000 laptop that screen doesn't response any thing ie blank though i do turn off/on................ any idea for me please that will be really appreciated........
pahal
london
Read more 
Answer
+117
moins plus
Step1. Remove battery and remove power supply
Step 2. Hold down power button without power supply for about 1min
Step3. Plug in you power cable and push you power botton
Screen should come on at this point
Step 4. Put back your battery and continue
If this doesn't work, maybe your screen is bad or your connectors is having problem

Lin- Apr 1, 2010 03:04AM
Thank you so much! Your instructions worked for my Acer Aspire One also! THANK YOU!
Gillz- Jun 29, 2010 02:21PM
this didn't work for me.
ribeca- Jul 11, 2010 08:04PM
i have thoshiba laptop, it is unfortunately stopped power suply is on sys is on but no disply on the screen what i have to do now
Quackers- Jul 26, 2010 07:34AM
Compaq craptop, and that worked for me. Even had my wife do it! Batt pull.... PS pull.... then hold down power button for 60 seconds.... put it all back... and voiala! all better!
saesmotu- Jan 5, 2013 09:23AM
daughter's apple had same problem.... i removed battery.... minute later plugged in with battery out and turned it on... it worked fine.... replaced battery.... charged daughter $125....NOT!
Answer
+23
moins plus
hey there i work for acer.
the problem with the aspire one powering on but not displaying is due to the bios being corrupt. You will not believe how many have come back with this problem. To fix this run the crisis disk.
The files should be on the disk you got with the machine. You have to put these two files on the root of a bootable flash stick. press and hold "fn" and "esc" then power on machine with the flash stick in and dont take your hands of Fn and esc untill the power light and flash stick lights are flashing. this will take about a minute. then boot up. To stop this happening again update to the latest bios version 3309. any problems email me.

boy subang- Apr 11, 2010 07:17PM
hi, can anyone help me, my aspire notebook show no device for my wireless connection but after i replace with other wireless card, still show no device eventhough the driver already install...can anyone help me?
Acer One Guy- May 6, 2010 01:16PM
Hey lazer_night,
im trying to do as you explained, but you werent specific to which 2 files i should put on the flash stick, this may be my problem, so im wondering which files they are because my flash drive isnt flashing.

Could you email your response to me at Email Id removed for security
jashhhhh- May 30, 2010 04:30AM
Hey mate as u r working for acer, if you could help me with my Acer Aspire8920G. The problem tht i am facing is when i start the lap ithe screen turns on for about a second, then turns off. Closing the lid and opening again allows the screen to come on for a second.
plz help me on this as i m located in middle east n there is no authorized service station here n even if i find some they gonna take more than 1 month...so plz respond me on Email Id's removed for security
i would really appriciate ur assistance
acer aspire 5532- Jul 13, 2010 06:36PM
Hello
I have an acer aspire 5533 laptop and when i come start it up the screen goes blank the screens black i keep turning it off and sometimes it wiil start up and work please help
rana- Jul 15, 2010 01:16PM
hi there i was wondering if could help me..where would i be able to find the lid switch?
Answer
+16
moins plus
my laptop is acer the power button is ok but the laptop doesn't open the screen and the cpu stops after a few seconds why i dont know plz if you know the answer say me thank you very much.i will stay your answer!.

Answer
+8
moins plus
there is a trick to forcing the computer to turn on. I have the same problem as you all and this method has appeared to help others numerous times in the past. firstly, turn on your computer and if you still have the 3 beep problem, leave it on and either place it on a soft surface *a blanket or so* or wrap the computer up in a towel. the main idea is to block the heat vents so that the computer may heat up, leave it for about 30-45 minutes and when its heated, turn it off and leave it for maybe 30 seconds and try to turn it on. sometimes it wont work but keep trying and eventually it will turn on.

Networked1- Mar 18, 2010 08:38PM
put it in the fridge for about 3 hours, that works for me every time.
TEK- Apr 9, 2010 12:49PM
The computer is not an XBOX... towel trick only works on XBOX 360, lol Try the fridge option mentioned above directly or in my case... 15min in the microwave, let stand for 2 minutes, then the fridge... that should do it... ahhh and remember to take out the battery before doing anything!
kaa- Jul 9, 2010 09:34AM
holy cow, that WORKED for me ! Thanx!!
Answer
+8
moins plus
Try this trust me it works.

1) Format a USB memory key with the FAT mode.
2) Download the latest version of the BIOS from Acer support website:
* HERE if you have a Aspire One A150
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_one_150.html
* HERE for the Aspire One A110
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_one_110.html
3) Extract the files from the zip and put both the FLASHIT.EXE and the BIOS file in the root directory of the memory key.
4) Rename the BIOS file to ZG5IA32.FD and then remove the disk.
5) Turn the AA1 off, insert the battery and connect the AC adapter.
6) Insert the USB Memory Key into one of the USB port of the Aspire One.
7) Press Fn+Esc, keep it pressed and press the power button to turn the AA1 on.
8) Release Fn+Esc after a few seconds, the power button will be blinking.
9) Press the power button once. The AA1 will start the BIOS flash, do not interrupt for any reason. After some minutes the power button will stop blinking, and then the AA1 will reboot. Wait till the AA1 has completed all this operations.

Tips: Trust me it works...
copy the latest BIOS file...mine works with ver 3114...and...i put my flash disk on the left side USB. first i use the right side but did not work...lol

Chris

hnk786- Feb 13, 2010 11:50PM
to chris9431

dude i tried all the steps that u mentioned but it didnt work for me. I even tried removing the battery for quite a while, in fact i did everything but nothing has worked for me. what should i do? I have acer aspire one 150 and it just ran out of warranty 2 months ago :( plz help coz i had important data in it and couldnt back it up
eusebio- Feb 23, 2010 12:45AM
hi i have the same problem... the systems are working but no display. i used different monitor to use my laptop. can i use this procedure on acer aspire 4535? im confused with the renaming of the bios file.
appreciative30- Mar 29, 2010 02:19PM
This worked first time. Thank you. I really thought my acer was a gonna - it's just outside the warranty period too! I don't know how you knew how to do this but thanks again.
MarkF- Jul 8, 2010 03:39AM
Brilliant many thanks - saved me a lot of time and worry.
jhetzxXxzkhee- Aug 5, 2010 04:13AM
tnaks a lot it work's easily...more power to you...........
Answer
+7
moins plus
I have HP dv200, screen does not turn on, wrapped the laptop with 3 blankets, I laid over the laptop and starting making love to blankets wit the laptop, waiting for a netbook to come up

Answer
+4
moins plus
I had the same problem with my HP pavilion dv6000, it didnt show anything on the screen, no sounds or anything, only the power button responded. I found out that my problem was that the computer was already on, you see, earlier i had put it in hibernate and when i got back a 8-10 hours later and turned it on nothing happened. I tried pulling out the battery and unplugging the power supply at the same time, i tried smashing the keyboard, ofc this didnt work very well, and i tried pressing f8 and f10 (not at the same time) alot on startup because someone said it would work. But nothing helped, later on my sister tried turning it on after i had given up and left it for about 3 hours, and it worked for her!
So heres my advices: Dont put an HP in hibernate/sleep mode or whatever because this will eventually mess up any HP, never buy a new graphic card or anything else before you are 100% sure thats your problem, this could save you alot of money, if your computer wont work or isnt good enough or something then dont try fixing wires or anything unless you are sure you know what to do (remember that once you open the computer and peek inside the warranty is gone), and lastly, let a woman have a look, they can fix anything (almost) just by looking on it.

Answer
+4
moins plus
Hello Friends,
I ALSO HAVE HP DV2000, MOST HOPLESS LAPTOP IN WHOLE WORLD, SAME PROBLEM ALL LIGHTS ARE ON AND NOTHING DISPLAY ON SCREEN "ONLY BLANK BLACK SCREEN". I BOUGHT IT JUST ONE YEAR BACK AND THE BATTERY WAS OUT OF ORDER AFTER 5 MONTHS. DUE TO US WARRANTY I WAS UNABLE TO GET IT REPLACE IN INDIA, NOW THIS PROBLEM HP IS REALLY THE WORST COMPANY I EVER DEAL WITH.
NEVER BUY HP PRODUCTS THEY ONLY KNOW HOW TO FOOL THE BUYER WITH THERE WORST PRODUCTS AND MOST EXPENSIVE SERVICE CENTERS. IF ANY ONE KNOW THE SOLUCTION FOR BLACK SCREEN PLEASE LET ME KNOW ELSE I HAVE TO THROW THIS LAPTOP IN THE GARBAGE !!!!!

HP IS WORST COMPANY IN WHOLE UNIVERSE, THEY SELL JUNK, GARBAGE products around the world, NEVER BUY AN HP PRODUCT, BY BUYING IT YOU ARE KILLING YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY.............................................................................................................................. I DON'T THINK MY HP LAPTOP DV2000 WILL EVER WORK LIKE BEFORE, I HAVE TO BUY NEW ONE.................. BUT I WONT LEAVE THE COMPANY LIKE THIS I WILL CLAIM MY FUNDS, WE ALL HAVE TO TALK WITH H/P FOR REFUNDING OUR FUNDS OR REPLACE OUR DEFECTIVE PIECES WITH NEW ONCES....................................................................................
ALL PEOPLE KEEP AWAY YOUR SELF WITH HP, WORST PRODUCTS, WORST & MOST EXPENSIVE SERVICE CENTERS, MOST CHEAP QUALITY AND HP THE COMPANY JUST EAT THE MONEY BY MAKE YOU FOOL.

Answer
+4
moins plus
hi i want to ask a queston my laptop screen doesn't works only switches the button and the cpu stops after a few secondz what should i do?.thank you very much.i will wait your answer .If somebody knows please reply me plz thank you.

Answer
+3
moins plus
make sure that the button that shuts off display when u close down screen isnt jammed shut, that may be your problem. they made the laptop, so that when u close down ur screen, itll power off the display, saving u precious battery. make sure the button that goes down, isnt stuck

Answer
+2
moins plus
Hi I'll say it again, I sent my computer in to HP, They said it had a defect and it was under warrenty, the only problem is Im pretty sure that deal expired. Id call HP to find out if your covered, but if your having the same problem Im having, your buttons not fixed, and unless you want to replace the mother board yourself (O thats what they ended up doing, replacing the whole motherboard) I'd Call HP.

witchdoctor- Mar 31, 2010 11:26PM
hp sucks... out of warranty = TFB for me. I went out and bought an apple - screw HP, they lost me as a customer forever.
Answer
+1
moins plus
hell, my computer no indicator light visibl,with no disk driveraction, and no display on screen, nothing work,system is dead

Answer
+1
moins plus
Thanks to chris9431 - your solution worked perfectly!

rue- Jan 4, 2010 08:53PM
chris9431 rocks, it worked for me. MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY Thanks.
Answer
+1
moins plus
I will start by describing my problem that due to Pook I solved.

My laptop will start and the screen does not light up at all, no sound, the power button will just stay an, no blinking. I realized that the system was not booting, but had no clue due to why. Then after applying some pressure aver the laptop on the part of the hard drive, the laptop started up normally. SOLUTION: i opened the HD compartment, and got it out, and the putted back in, and screwed more tight the screws (be carefull to not screw them to much, just a little bit more then normally), this was my first time opening and getting out the HD, and I found a small spring on on the hard facing upwards, and putted the same back in.

Now to give some ideas for the other problems:

-if the display won`t open at all, no sounds, the power button is just staying on and if the system is not booting, the it my be the HD like in my case;

-if the display is lighted and is only showing a black screen, then it could be the display inverter;

-if the display is not opening and you hear the system booting (hint try hitting enter or try to give it a restart (CTRL+ALT+DEL) to confirm booting), in this case it is indicated to try connecting a monitor to the laptop an if that works then it is the display or maybe the display inverter.

These are some tips that I hope will be useful.

P.S: Thanks Pook for your advice !!!

Answer
+1
moins plus
Dear all
as far as acer aspire one is concern in this laptop only bios got currupt so need to flash it at acer site u can find the solution, please do not make any other try on this laptop only flash your bios by putting usb flash memory stick after copying the said file from http://www.support.acer.com/drivers_download.aspx ensure flash with correct model number.

2nd and most critical problem is with v6**** and v3**** sereis of compaq if black screen appear in most cases GPU (Nvidia chip called BGA(Balled Grid aray) got cracked and its to be reworked /replaced this is the only solution no heat to be given, by this act your laptop will be ok for 1 to 2 months time and agin same problem you will face, might be you will pay lesser for this but again u need to pay so find such place who do proper Bga rework.

Be aware about nehru place some people claim that they have the experty to do bga rework even they not have proper equipments for this, this job has done with the costly machines, so check first that the person is claiming have a good setup for this.

visit to our site www.laptopnrepair.com

Arun

Answer
+0
moins plus
hello! i've got the same problem with my laptop. it doesnt display anything nor sound. when i turn on my laptop hp pavillion, there is no display and it seems that it cannot continue booting on hard drive.

any one can help.

Victorious Victim- Aug 14, 2009 05:04PM
I used to have the same problem with my Compaq Presario C700 laptop. Every time i tried to turn on my laptop the fan would start for a few seconds then shut down but my "on" light is still lit up. Also the wireless connection was lit up but was on the "unconnected" colour. The only way i could turn it off was to hold on the power button for a few seconds.

All i did to fix it was take the battery out and plug out the charger. Then wait a few minutes and put the battery back in and turn it on. Mine worked perfectly. Maybe it was something wrong with the connection between the laptop and battery.
spunjah36 2Posts Monday May 24, 2010Registration date May 24, 2010 Last seen - May 24, 2010 07:03PM
aloha, ive been having the same problem too i gave up for two years on the problem and i dropped it and now the screen doesnt work before and even now haha well i hope this is understandable so yeah hp pavilion dv2000 i need help BAH!!!!
christopherhanson- Jun 11, 2010 09:04AM
thats odd when i first bought this laptop i took it back same day for faulty dvd drive and they said theyd swapped it for me only becoz graphics card was broke ???? should i ive hp a ring?
chris- Jun 20, 2010 05:15PM
their is a common problem with the DV series. i fix them for a living and its when the graphics chip need re-flowing. that is when you heat up the solder around and under the graphics chip to melting point and then let it cool again. this is not a permanent fix but it will make your laptop run once again.
chris- Jul 11, 2010 08:56AM
My laptop simply shut down, upon reboot I get a black screen of death with the mouse pointer showing on the screen. That's it, completely black. Winows screen showed up before that. so i don't think it's a video driver. Ctrl-alt-delete brings up the task manager. . as others suggested i close explorer.exe and restart it via new task. OKAY i can see my desktop now but nothing runs, just sits there doing nothing. UGHHHHH 2 days of trouble shooting this. Naturally i don't have a Vista repair disk. Safe mode with networking will open, but it shuts down after awhile. i start to run virus scanners etc. . nothing is working or fixing the problem.
I can't back anything up as it sits currently and i can't afford to loose all my documents, pics etc.

HELP please
Answer
+0
moins plus
guys its 2 ways to solve if u know how to change the screen change it make sure its same inches and type..
the other hard drive failure u will the led but the laptop doesn't know where to start one of the main file has corrupted.........make sure if its hard drive problem take the hard drive of then connect to computer and transfer all the files you needed. Buy a new hard drive and format it ...........

Answer
+0
moins plus
HP dv2000's AMD chip set is a bad mbd -there is no video or hard drive activity because its not posting.

Answer
+0
moins plus
Hello, i have benq joybook 700 laptop the screen is no coming on. somebody to help me plz.

Answer
+0
moins plus
hey i have this weird problem and it is a really old dell computer so it is thick and black the screen won't come up i open the computer then it just starts the engine but the screen is still pitch black and has numlock and scroll lock on i had this problem several times all i had to do was turn on the computer and hold num lock and soon the screen will come on but now no matter what i press the screen won't light up or anything so i was wondering if anyone had experienced or heard this type of problem before!!!!!!!!!please reply!!!!!!!

shane- Jun 17, 2009 06:32PM
most likely some of you are experiencing different difficulties. for some of them it sounds like the computer is just old, and the screen is shot (happened to my toshiba laptop.) if that has happened, you are screwed. in other cases you can get it to work again.
one case is that when your computer was installing updates, you cut it off. if this is the case, you must take your windows disk (hopefully you have one), pop it in, and restart the computer. a screen will come up asking if you want to install. instead of installing, click repair computer.
for the other cases i'm not sure what to do, sorry.
hope this helped for some people.
1 2 Next
This document entitled « screen doesn't display » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.