Ask a question Report

Virus Hiding Folders/Files in Memory Card [Solved/Closed]

Kit - Latest answer on Jan 3, 2013 11:31AM
Hello, I really hope someone can help me. My computer used to have this virus, and since I had to use my camera's memory card even before I could have the virus removed, my camera's memory card has the virus too. The card's files can't be seen using other computers, only if the computer has the virus. Now my computer is clean but my memory card still isn't, and I can't view the folders/files, but they're still there because the free space viewed in Properties is really small and whenever I scan the card with antivirus it says it scanned 600+ files.
Please and thank you! :D
PS. My camera's brand is Sony, and it has software in the memory card that lets you view the pictures, because sometimes the encoding by Sony doesn't let you open the files. Just in case that affects anything.
Read more 
moins plus

Try this 1.

Check whether the files are not in hidden mode. Follow the following steps.

Step 1:

Click on the below link and download the file "AutorunExterminator"

Extract it --> Double-click on "AutorunExterminator" --> Plug your Memory Card now.

This will remove the autorun.inf files from your Memory Card and also from

the drives.

Step 2:

Click on "Start" -->Run --> type cmd and click on OK.

Here I assume your Memory Card as G:

Enter this command.

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

You can copy the above command --> Right-click in the Command Prompt and

paste it.

Note : Replace the letter g with your Memory Card letter.

Now check for your files in Memory Card.

Step 3:

After that, download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the below link

Update it --> Perform "Full Scan"

Note : Default selected option is "Quick Scan".

Good Luck.

SHC- Dec 13, 2012 10:15PM
If I knew where you were, I'd hug you and take you to dinner! You just helped me save over 300 pictures from an engagement party, a high school football playoff game, and the Cowboys/Eagles football game. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
dy3abb- Dec 25, 2012 08:16AM
wew thank you
sreevats- Dec 25, 2012 10:59PM
Super super super... really fantastic... u r a genius..
Slothbro 1Posts Thursday January 3, 2013Registration date January 3, 2013 Last seen - Jan 3, 2013 11:31AM
I think i need to do this but my device is called MTP Player and then inside that is called internal storage, so what do when replacing memory card latter (name) ?? (exact same problem as OP)
moins plus
Hi guys,
to prevent virus to run automatically, disable the autorun option from the drive properties

create autorun.inf FOLDER to prevent the virus from creating the autorun.inf FILE.
As folders are not executable and it cant be replaced with file or overwrite by the virus.

use Tantidote, its the best way to cure and protect you computer from removable virus and it could also be used to restore your files in your flash drive.

This document entitled « Virus Hiding Folders/Files in Memory Card » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.