Computer Not Consistently Booting on Startup

Ask a question Goldfinger67 6Posts Saturday June 4, 2016Registration date September 19, 2016 Last seen - Latest answer on Sep 19, 2016 03:47AM
Hello again, my fellow CCM.net users I hope that you will be able to help me solve this problem.
As of late when I turn on my computer it dosen't always boot properly. Instead, I am sometimes met with a black screen with white or grey squares. When this happens, I have to restart my computer numerous times before I can actually get to use it.
Here is a picture of what I'm seeing when I turn on my computer.
See more 
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Hi Goldfinger,

Have you tried with another monitor? Dieferent shapes on the monitor screen may indicate a monitor problem or a video card problem. If the issue persists even with another monitor, I would recommend you to clean your graphic card’s port and check again. When you get this strange screen, do you get the feeling the PC is actually bottin normally or it sounds like it has frozen? Remove the CMOS battery for a few seconds in order to reset BIOS to its default settings. Try to boot again.

Hope this helps

Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Sorry for the late reply but yes, I will try that because my computer has been tested with another monitor and the problem was the same. As was the case with another problem that I was having.

In regards to the latter problem when I turned on my computer, it sometimes would go to a black screen with a blinking cursor. In fact, it still does that, but at least boots now. The only problem with this is that there is no longer a visible option to access BIOS mode.
R2D2_WD 2870Posts lunes, 1 de septiembre de 2014Registration date Certified CCM ContributorStatus September 30, 2016 Last seen - Sep 19, 2016 02:47AM
Hi again Goldfinger,

Resetting BIOS may change the situation and give you the option to enter BIOS menu. BIOS should be accessible at any time. The black screen with a blinking cursor sometimes may indicate a hard drive or an OS problem. It may mean that the PC is trying to load Windows but it is taking too long or it is not possible. Change hard drive cables and port.
Another solution is to use a Windows installation drive and boot from it. Select the option Repair. Is doing a fresh install an option? Do you have important data stored in your primary partition?
The other option is to remove the hard drive and connect it in another PC as a secondary storage drive. Backup all data, and download the drive manufacturer’s diagnostic tool. Check the drive for errors. If no problems are detected, a Windows Repair or a new installation should solve the issue. If the drive appears with a lot of errors, unfortunately, you may need to change the drive.

Hope this helps
Goldfinger67 6Posts Saturday June 4, 2016Registration date September 19, 2016 Last seen - Sep 19, 2016 03:47AM
Thanks for the information I'll try out all of these suggestions and then let you know what the problem was. Because the information might be useful to someone in the future.
Add comment

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!