Computer will not load past welcome screen [Solved/Closed]

wldy 4 Posts Monday August 4, 2008Registration date August 5, 2008 Last seen - Aug 4, 2008 at 11:05 PM - Latest reply:  Swapnil
- Sep 7, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Hello,
My computer, after not being used for a few months logged into windows and the internet just fine, once....then it stopped going to web pages. So I restarted the computer. Then XP would load to the welcome screen, and the next screen it shows is the background (just before you would choose which ID to login under) it never loads past that point. When I tried to reboot and go to safe mode the keyboard would let me get it to that screen then the keys would stop working. TO fix that I had to take out that little battery inside the computer. Then I tried to log into safe mode, I got past the choose ID screen, then it stopped loading again.

I cannot reformat the harddrive as I do not have the windows XP disk, I have the key, just not the disk.

I did find programs on the computer before I rebooted the first time, and I tried to go into Add/Remove programs to remove them, I cuold not get into that either, but I did find the weird stuff in the program files and deleted a few things that I knew what they were and that were not supposed to be on this computer (ie world of warcraft)

I have tried every single thing I can think of and I cannot get this problem fixed, any suggestions besides blowing it up, or brining it to a shop? I already have to replace one computer that will not turn on anymore....
See more 

118 replies

Best answer
Grimest 4 Posts Saturday July 25, 2009Registration date July 26, 2009 Last seen - Jul 26, 2009 at 04:19 PM
Thank you
i only read the first help comment ignore it dont reinstall windows lmfao! MANY things u can do befor reinstalling windows
1) start your comp in safemode ..constantly press f8 I think it is to get the menu then click safe mode
2) open bios many things in there also, like load optimized defaults etc..
3) wierd but it happend to me and this worked once, turn of your pc by the mains in cluding monitor speakers for good luck then unplug everything from the back of your pc and then wait 3mins then plug everything back in and turn it all back on after tryin step1/2
4) im a lil stoned rite now I cant remember all the ways of solving this issue but those 3tips have worked wonders for me in the past mate, gl and I aint knocking any other comments I read the 1st one thats all I can be botherd readin atm he could be correct but try mine m8.

Thank you, Grimest 3

Something to say? Add comment

CCM has helped 1295 users this month

Thanx...but whats the next step? I mean how to remove this problem ??
Travtech Computer Tech - Mar 6, 2009 at 11:17 PM
Thank you
I have seen this problem and it sounds like some kind of virus ,boot or Bios . I have only seen it in PC's with older MB's and not in one with dual bios chips. I am working on another PC with the welcome screen problem now ,so I will let you guys know what I find.
Right on the money. I took my HD out and brought it over to a friends house and did a full scan. Took out a bunch of viruses and adware. was then able to get into HD to remedy the situation. Seems like the easiest fix is to detach hdd from existing unit and scan. thanks for everyone's help.
pdub - did scanning and removing viruses from your HD allow you to boot the original PC?

I have same issue. Could not do a repair on the HD. Need the data on it.

Bought a new HD. Tried to install XP on it, but the system keeps booting to the XP Media CD and will not install XP - even after I go into BIOS and say boot from HD only.

Makes me think it is BIOS problem and not a HD/software/virus problem. But I have never seen this before.

Any help is appreciated.
I wasn't comfy with existing version so I actually did new install of OS on a different HD and it worked. I have 2 hd's on system so had to switch master/slave config and it seemed to work. You want to boot from CD and not HD because that's where the problem exists if trying to reinstall OS. Boot order CD-rom drive and take HD boot off. May need a touch more info on your system to figure out what may be the issue.

Suggestions that I have gotten that may be of help from this thread.
*Take MB battery out to clear Bios
*Take HD off system and see if it is recognized by other workstation away from your box, If yes then you know its not the HD, clean it and try to go into it to get data (ultimate solution for me) or copy to ext HD if you want....if No then you found your issue.
*You mentioned trying to install OS on new HD and it wouldn't work (dumb question, is it full version or upgrade that you have (sry but have to ask since I don't know your level of expertise)
*Can you get into safemode? When I had the issue, I couldn't even go into safemode which I believe was a direct result of a virus shutting down my usb ports...after the scan the usb ports still didn't work but my ps2 input still worked for my keyboard. I was then able to put fresh OS on HD and blah blah blah.
*Another weird thing was that my comp would shut down 3 minutes in after being cleaned....found that temp settings were adjusted to auto shut down would initiate because temp was being exceeded. Cranked up fans and it was all good.
Was a royal pain in the butt to get it fixed but alas like my wifes pregnancy the destination was definitely more enjoyable than the journey.

Hope this helps.

Biggest thing is to isolate as much as possible to find out where the issue may be...Hopefully you can get it fixed and be able to fix on the cheap and take HD back if not needed
Hey weed,
Have you tried hitting ctl, alt, del and loading the task manager and starting a new explorer task? You might have to do it twice but it should give you the desktop back, long enough to save your data.
Thank you
i have a copy of windows xp on a disk ... I can copy it and email you a CD image if you want, then use a different computer to burn it into a disk... just email me what service pack you have and I will find the appropriate CD out of my box of heavenly Recovery CD,s I have this exact same problem... but lucky for me im a dual booter, I have 2 copies of windows XP I use one for backup and repair... (the one im using right now) im gunna do a diagnosis and see what the REAL issue is... I could remover my VGA card(graphics card) and use my onboard instead to test you VGA card theory... ATI is a bit faulty... my email is Email Id removed for security
My computer would not boot in normal mode. It was a real bad situation. Started in safe mode and unistalled Norton and rebooted. Everything was fine!!!! This was a real headached but solved easily. FYI
Thank you
my mom is having a similar problem with her computer. she just recently got it from my grandmother and its an older comp. its worked slow but decently for years now. She got it and downloaded internet explorer 8 onto it and once she rebooted it, it wont go past the start-up screen. she has a disc to reformat it and the key but the computer wont turn the disc at all. and she cant get it to do anything. anyone know what she could do? would be awesome if we could get the comp to work seeing as she doesnt have the money to get a new one.
Thank you
i have a similar problem on my ACER travelmate 5510. I go through the startup process as usual untill it comes to the screen where it should say: Press ctr+alt+del to begin. Instead of this I only have the blue startup background. I cant figure out what to do. I have tried safe mode and everything else like that and it wont work. Anyone got any advice?
computerguy - Feb 3, 2010 at 01:59 PM
Thank you
My solutioon was to get to the BIOS and change the HD to be ATA. The virus changed the BIOS
Thank you
Just a thought, all of you that cant boot from CD to format your computers because you cant press 'any key' I had the same problem but turned out it was because I was using a wireless keyboard, once I used a normal wired keyboard the problem was resolved.
Thank you
I am having the same issue, with a DELL optiplex gx620. The computer can boot up to the log-in screen and then when I hit "ctrl alt del" to log in, the keyboard does not respond. I try num lock and other keys and get nothing. Windows was updated two days ago. The maching is never really dormant - except on weekends.

Has anyone found a fix for this that doesn't require re-installing windows?
that a virus. mine was called securiy essanials not to be confused with the ms program. this one is serious and nothing to mess with
Thank you
my laptop loads the operating system vista but it does not display windows and the desktop
Thank you
my dad fixed my computer... buuuut I know you have to check the bluetooth on the side of the laptop and make sure its blue, then make sure its plugged in, the security is okay and ur password hasnt expired.
Thank you
My laptop has done the same thing. It's an Acer. Although it seems you cannot fix it, just try booting with safe mode every day for 3 weeks and that's what helped mine. :) Hoped it helped!
a constant reformater - May 19, 2010 at 04:34 AM
Thank you
Borrow a CD of your computer's system, of have someone reformat it and to make a cd of the system to have in the future. If you have the athondication key code, you can have a cd made, and offer to pay for it, it should not cost you much.
That is so that you can reformat next time you get problems, as they charge a lot to do it professionaly, it it happens often as it does with me.

Most times, it is a hicap which you may need to reformat to get rid of.
It is hard to know what the problem is unless you have the computer in front of you and try a number of different things.
I hope you have fixed it by now.
11yrs of patience - Jun 9, 2010 at 03:24 AM
Thank you
lol I dindnt even get to welcome screen
Jean-François PILLOU - Jun 13, 2010 at 03:13 AM
Thank you
On windows XP ... First make sure you know the drive where you installed your windows XP (for example c:) : I name it "Yourdrive".
If you have 2 operating systems installed, you can work from in the O.S. system that works well, if not try to work in save mode by pressing the f8 key at start-up.

When you're logged in:
Go to run ... type cmd ... enter ... type chkdsk "Yourdrive": /f /r

When you don't have 2 operating systems installed, wait till all is finished.
Whith one operating system installed, your computer will have to restart because it can not make the changes whithout having a restart.

Hope this will help you all.

Happy greetings
Jeff
Jean-François PILLOU - Jun 13, 2010 at 03:25 AM
Also When you don't have... must be When you have
Sorry for the faults ...
Happy greetings,
Jeff
For those who cannot go in safe mode

To enter Recovery Console in Windows XP, you will need to boot from the Windows XP CD.

1. Watch for a Press any key to boot from CD... message similar to the one shown above.

2. Press a key to force the computer to boot from the Windows CD. If you do not press a key, your PC will continue to boot to the Windows XP installation that's currently installed on your hard drive. If this happens, simply reboot and try to boot to the Windows XP CD again.
How to Enter Windows XP Recovery Console

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/rconsole.htm

The Recovery Console can be an indispensable diagnostic tool when your Windows XP, 2000, or Server 2003 based computer suffers from certain major problems.

A number of commands are available within Recovery Console, some of them exclusive to the tool. When used, these commands can do things as simple as copying a file from one place to another or as complicated as repairing the master boot record after a major virus attack.

Chkdsk
The chkdsk command, often referred to as "check disk", is used to identify, and often times correct, certain hard drive errors.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/recovery_console_commands.htm

Happy greetings,
Jeff
Thank you
I think that it is no use to fix it, I have the same problem and I am tired of it... so I think you just should blow it up
Jean-François PILLOU - Jun 17, 2010 at 10:32 PM
Why not try to fix it? ... Just enter the "chkdsk "yourdrive": /f /r" command and you're problem will be solved (remember to replace "yourdrive" with C or E or ...)
Id rather not. - Jun 21, 2010 at 01:13 PM
Thank you
I had the same problem....couldn't get past the start up screen....keyboard wouldn't work...couldn't get into safe mode, etc. etc.

Finally just took it in to be serviced since nothing I tried worked.

Assumed it was going to be a virus/mal ware/spy ware related....

As it turns out : A faulty RAM chip, only worked intermittently.

Maybe this will help someone else?
Jean-François PILLOU - Jul 10, 2010 at 04:28 AM
Thank you
On windows XP ... First make sure you know the drive where you installed your windows XP (for example c:) : I name it "Yourdrive".
If you have 2 operating systems installed, you can work from in the O.S. system that works well, if not try to work in save mode by pressing the f8 key at start-up.

When you're logged in:
Go to run ... type cmd ... enter ... type chkdsk "Yourdrive": /f /r
Press the "enter" key
When you have 2 operating systems installed, wait till all is finished.
Whith one operating system installed, your computer will have to restart because it can not make the changes whithout having a restart.

Hope this will help you all.

For those who cannot go in safe mode

To enter Recovery Console in Windows XP, you will need to boot from the Windows XP CD.

1. Watch for a Press any key to boot from CD... message similar to the one shown above.

2. Press a key to force the computer to boot from the Windows CD. If you do not press a key, your PC will continue to boot to the Windows XP installation that's currently installed on your hard drive. If this happens, simply reboot and try to boot to the Windows XP CD again.
How to Enter Windows XP Recovery Console

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/rconsole.htm

The Recovery Console can be an indispensable diagnostic tool when your Windows XP, 2000, or Server 2003 based computer suffers from certain major problems.

A number of commands are available within Recovery Console, some of them exclusive to the tool. When used, these commands can do things as simple as copying a file from one place to another or as complicated as repairing the master boot record after a major virus attack.

Chkdsk
The chkdsk command, often referred to as "check disk", is used to identify, and often times correct, certain hard drive errors.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/recovery_console_commands.htm

Happy greetings,
Jeff
Thank you
Obviously you have a corrupted computer. If it were me I would find a friend with a pc and download your version of windows even if you have to get it from a torrent download and burn it. Alot of times the only thing making these copies of windows not genuine are the fact that they don't have a key. So enter your key when reformatting and waalaaah! genuine windows. you have probably figured that out by now since I'm giving you a suggestion so late.lol
good luck dude
( If that doesn't work i'm sorry but I tried)
hanees 14 Posts Sunday February 24, 2008Registration date June 1, 2009 Last seen - Aug 5, 2008 at 04:24 AM
Thank you
Hello,

It often happens that some computers that has been dormand has these problems since windows has not been updating .

Best is to re-install Windows and update your system.
I am having the exact same problem. Let me know how you were able to fix it. I do not have my original disc, so I might be in more trouble.
annie wag 2 Posts Sunday March 7, 2010Registration date March 7, 2010 Last seen - Mar 7, 2010 at 03:05 AM
how do I reinstall windows xp if my laptop does not have a cd drive and can't get past the welcome. it just freezes and stops working. I have xp on a flash drive but can't use as wont come up. tried the press zero and start. did the recovery thing, then create but keeps saying error with numbers and letters. please help
try restarting it because hibernating isnt good for your laptop
my computer is doing the same thing after I re installed windows
my computer wont let me sign up for anything and they didn't tell me anything about it
wldy 4 Posts Monday August 4, 2008Registration date August 5, 2008 Last seen - Aug 5, 2008 at 09:07 AM
Thank you
I would love to just reinstall windows, however I do not have the disk, I have the key, just not the disk.

I was told by my kids that the computer was not working well before the last time we used it in June. So I guess this is a long time problem (its the kids internet computer)

Any other suggestions?
Have you tried to go back to a boot that worked, if any of our friends have a disc run repaire windows, not the first screen that says reparie but the second time it comes up, it the same as re-installing but you do not loose any thing, if you have another pc with internet go online and download windows xp ? what ever version you have and then run the repare, if it's a PC tower you can slave the hard drive onto another pc and then get that pc to run scan disk to try and repare it, or take of all your data pictures and files then format it, and then re-install windows on it, if you have norton 2003 or above use you disc ghost and use that as a windows disc on the one that will not boot, and instal your virson of windows on the other one, (just make sure after you have run the ghost you take off any thing you do want the kids to see), this is a good site to get windows from utorrent, when you have installed it type in mininova in the search box and make sure it's on TORRENT not google to search, you will find all windows on this site, then unistall it as there are LEECHES with the program.
have had the same before and you call Microsoft and tell them.They will help you get Xp disk.
1 2 3 Next