Computer powers on, but does not boot [Solved/Closed]

-
 GimliLOTR -
Hello,

I've had my desktop computer for about one year now. It is an Acer Aspire E380. On Saturday afternoon, it was going a bit slow so I decided to restart it. However, once it turned off, it will no longer turn on and boot up.

The power button usually lights up, but now it does not. But, the decorative words "Aspire" at the bottom of the tower still lights up. The DVD drive still opens, and a few lights blink on start up as usual.

The screen is blank. All of the fans seem to go, except for one. It is the one in the center of the computer on top of a group of metal prongs. It spins upon power up but stops. The power supply fan runs, the other fan runs too.

I have made sure everything is plugged in, and tried plugging it into different outlets. I can't boot from a CD, the keyboard doesn't turn on and neither does the mouse.

As far as starting up goes, everything sounds normal. No beeps or clicks to hint at harddrive failure. Sometimes when I try to start it up nothing comes on but the center fan on the metal prongs (the one that would run for only a few seconds) goes on full blast until I turn it off.

If everything seems to be going, what is stopping it from booting up?

195 replies

hello,
I just built my computer a while ago for light gaming and I decided that it would be interesting to try and overclock my processor a little bit. I was running an amd athlon x2 7850 black edition and I read that you could easily get it to 3.2 ghz on stock equipment using the core multiplier (not front side bus speed) so I tried it. It worked for about 30 min and I played medal of honor and also went on the internet. Then my computer froze. Here's where I have the same problem as everyone else here. I would power on and all my fans including the gpu and cpu ones but there would never be output to the monitor and there is no POST. My friend said I fried my processor so I ordered a new one a phenom x4 9600 Black edition and installed it. Nothing changed so I took out all my pci and pci-e cards but still no POST and no output. I am now wondering if the problem is with my motherboard or with my psu or what. Everything worked perfect before I tried overclocking and now I dont know if I have to buy a new mobo or if it is something else. Please help!
DJ,
I hope you're still replying to posts. I've attached only the PSU (brand new), memory stick (was in the computer when the problem started), and graphics card (also in the computer when the problems started) to my Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, but it still only powers on for about 3-4 seconds. I tried using the eraser on the memory and the graphics card. Additionally, I've reset the BIOS (by way of your explanation in previous posts). Furthermore, I plugged the keyboard in to see if the caps lock, num lock, etc would light up when I powered on. The CPU fan functions. There are no beeps at power on. I tried the processor test, but the computer wasn't staying powered on long enough for it to warm up. I kept powering back on as soon as it powered down. I did this about 3-4 times and I was able to feel the processor warming up. Based on previous posts, I believe the motherboard to be the problem. Before I go and buy new one, I just want to make sure you're coming to the same conclusion.
JT
Hi JT

In this case I would suggest that you send an email to ASUS. Go to their site and find support and enter all the requested detail and in my experience they will reply inside 24 hours, with recommendations for further tests or to say if the mobo is dead

Messing about in rivers
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
If you are using a new power supply and you're having this problem then I suspect that your motherboard is faulty.
Replace the motherboard with a new one or claim for warranty if it is still under warranty period...
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

DJ,
It was indeed the motherboard. I suspect the RAM slots went bad somehow, because I would receive a beep warning if the graphics card was plugged in and not powered properly, but I wouldn't receive a beep warning if there was no RAM in the slot. I replaced the mobo and sure enough it powered right up and went into windows.

Thanks for all the solid info you've provided. It's given a lot more tools than I had before and I'm confident I can troubleshoot with accuracy now. Thanks again.
JT
Hi DJ,

Nice work, im really impressed so far.

My problem;
My pc powers up but does not even hit bios, its just stuck on powering up and all hd's and fans start working,
yet nothing.
My CD rom starts up but the second one does nothing, so I thought it had to do with that.
After unplugging it hoping it would skip that cdrom the problem still occurs.
The weird thing is, after about 20 tries of booting up one works. But now I am affraid to shut it down.
Cause when I do, its the same story all over again.

Im quite desperate as the store says they cant find anything and ive just ran out of my warrenty peroid.

Hope you can solve my problem, and thanks very much so far.
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
First of all, I would suggest you to flash the BIOS. Give me the make and model of your motherboard so that I can instruct you about how to proceed with it.

If this does not work then try to use the eraser trick to remove static because in most cases this is the fault which causes the system not to boot. Have you tried using another memory card?
Registration date
Monday September 7, 2009
Status
Last seen
September 8, 2009
There are alot of posts giving great ideas however reading this post like 8 ppl tried to post so I got a little confused so here are a few steps that I use to determine if mobo is fried, power supply is fried, hdd crash...ect

first step take the side cover off there should be a green led light on the mobo somewhere if this light is not on the mobo is getting no power!!

if the light is on this would indicate that the mobo has power so when the power button is pressed the fans all come on and the lights light but nothing happens( no beeps) nothing... This would indicate to me that there was system hardware malfunction..In this case I would remove all RAM and try to boot again..If no luck insert 1 stick of ram closest to the cpu and try again the reason I reccommend this is often times, if using onboard graphics..it needs mem to work so now it has it..if still nothing I would remove the hdd try to boot again the computer should do 1 of 2 things... First a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left
Second tell you that no os was detected if this is what happens then the comp is working fine your hdd is the issue.

Email me on this issue if you need help you can reach me at Email Id removed for security
Thanks for the reply mate.

I will try the vacuum cleaning / unplugging RAM / and the other methods you mentioned today after work.

I just tough that normal booting of Windows after installing new graphics card was quite an interesting fact and sufficient to diagnose the malfunction. Combined with overheating of the card after few minutes, ofc.
when I boot it without a harddrive, I still don't get anything, no picture, no beeping, just the fan spinning abnormally fast

i'v noticed that when it boots normally, the fan starts up fast then returns to "normal" speed

but when it doesn't, it keeps spinning all fast and loud

another thing, I hadn't touched my pc for a few weeks and today it booted up fine, with only mouse, keyboard and monitor attached, but after a few minutes, the screen got no signal but pc was running
Hi
I have an old P2 PC, which was in box for 3 years (yes not used for 3 years), before that it was used in the USA.
After I connected opened it and connected it in INDIA , ofcourse the SMPS blew up because like a fool I did not change the red switch on the back of SMPS to 230 v...
So I have replaced the SMPS , but now after powering it on, I hear only SMPS fan and the HD noice.
dont here anything else.
I have tried.
removing, cleaning ram, changing slots, removng and inserting the CPU, (BTW the CPU fan does not turn on and the CPU does NOT get hot either) .. I have tried removing and replacing the Motherboard battery.
Also pl note after removing ram, and powering on I dont hear any Beep...

please let me know what could be wrong
ok I ll toss my coin too

the problem is same PC wont load bios and all fans are working.
by troubleshooting everything this is solution:
-when removing memory sticks I wont hear any beeps, that is while VGA card is connected
-when I remove VGA card (or 2 6pin molex cables) I can hear beeping so I assume MB is ok.
-also CPU is working (heating test)
-PSU is ok
-i have tried eraser trick on both memory sticks and VGA card (well I didnt have eraser so I used rubber backside of screwdriver ~,~)

i assusme problem is in VGA card friend is on the way with his and we will check if it works

thx for replies
rami
Registration date
Sunday October 4, 2009
Status
Last seen
October 5, 2009

Hi my MB is intel D101GGC, it stop suddenly when I working and it doesn't boots.
I opened and check inside, the MB green color power lite is on. I noticed my Processor and SMPS FANs were not working.
I thought some section of power is failure in SMPS, and I replaced with new SMPS. But the problem is still same.

I did some checks, when I removed 12V power(2x2) from MB, the Processor and SMPS Fans stars working.
kindly help me in this.
Thanks.
lokeyglr, I encounter the same D101GGC 12V power(2x2) cable problem, when coneted no fans however MB green light on, when disconected only the fans work any solution to the problem yet for you?
cheers
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Hi, normally if your motherboard requires 24pins, you should connect all 24 pins. This is important. But if you had a basic config, I mean you do not have pci express graphics card and high capacity memory cards in all memory card slots, you can use 20 pins. But you should use 24 pins. If problem persists then ultimate solution will be to replace motherboard with new one.
Please note that new parts also might have defects, I mean to say that you should expect this.
Hi DJ Akshay,

Great forum, lots of great advice. I did something that may have been stupid, or not. We'll see. I have an old Athlon XP 64 system with an ASUS-A8N SLI board. A while after installing a new Radeon 4570 (the first new 4570 burned out in a couple weeks time), the mobo burned out. I RMA'd it (for the second time in 3 years), reassembled it w/ the new mobo, and still could not boot. Fans power on, the red lights on the back of the video card light up, but the screen is blank. The system does not even sound like it's trying to post. I jumpered the PSU and tested it w/ a voltmeter and all the leads check out, but I wonder if the voltage is dropping under load.

Anyway, I built a new system last year with all new parts (high end DFI mobo, Q6600 CPU), which ran fine until yesterday, when I got the bright idea that perhaps the PSU in my old system was the culprit. Feeling lazy, I placed the two systems side by side, disconnected the power leads from the mobo and video card inside the new computer and hooked them up to the old mobo and graphics card. Still no-go. I undid everything and tried to power on the new system again, and I could hear the computer boot into windows, but the screen stayed blank. I had to do a hard shut down. I reseated the graphics card (nvidia GT260), swapped to a different pci-e power adapters (the corsair 750 has 4 leads), still no video. The computer still tries to boot, and I believe it's stopping at the safe mode prompt. When I push the power button, the fan on the GPU starts to spin up, but then stops. What on earth did I do? ...What do I do?

Thanks!!!!!!
Registration date
Saturday December 5, 2009
Status
Last seen
December 7, 2009

@ DJ AKSHAY

Please help me man..I posted earlier but no answer yet (even though it hasn't been long) and I'm at college tommorow..
Heres what I posted quote"Hey DJ,
I've read your posts helping all these people and am here to beg of you to help me (i dont usually beg lol) out.

My problem is that last night I shutdown my pc as usual and then turned it back on this morning (before college), but when I pushed the power button there was no bleep and no signal to monitor and nor the keyboard or the mouse lit up or worked.
I opened up the tower and everything seemed fine, fan spinning, dvd drive open and closed but nothing else worked i.e usb mouse lit up neither did a usb keyboard.
I cant get into the recovery options, I cant boot from disc it just wont budge..
Its an Acer Aspire M1640 and not even a year old (warranty's void as I upgraded ram and a new hdd).
Intel dual core and vista premium. (if any of that helps)
Please can you help me as all of my course work is on that pc and I cant lose it, i'd most deffinately fail without it which is why I pprementioned me begging of your help.
I tried the eraser thing you mentioned and I cleaned it from inside out and removed the newly installed hardware but still no screen or windows..
I anxiously await you reply
Thanks in advance.. "end quote

If you could P.M me you'd be a star man..
Here's my email for messenger.. thank you very much in advance

daz.brough@live.co.uk
Registration date
Saturday December 5, 2009
Status
Last seen
December 7, 2009

Sorry for double posting but I forgot to mention that when I take the ram sticks out thyere is NO beeps whatsoever..
Email Id removed for security

I have the same sort of problem, except all my fans turn on. Please help
Hello

And I'm trying fix a computer which has a integrated VGA port which broke.

The desktop PC has a graphics card and I tried using the port to connect to the monitor.

I started the computer and it seemed to be working as it booted up , the Windows XP logo showed up as it booted.

But the problem started when it got to the part where the logon screen is suppose appear, as I waited the screen did not show instead a blank sky blue colored screen was present.

If anyone could please help or have an idea of what this problem is it would be very much appreciated

thank you
Had the same problem - I think due to a virus. Switched slots on ram worked like a charm. Booted into bios, reset defaults everything is running ok.
Registration date
Thursday February 19, 2009
Status
Last seen
February 20, 2009

I am so frustrated right now :(

I just put together a computer for the first time today, I had a friend help me out. I feel as though I've done everything right but I just can't seem to make it work.

I turn on the computer, the cpu fans, the case fans, and all the lights come on, but nothing shows on the screen. I also don't hear any beeps at all. I've tried to take the ram out and still, no beeps. It just seems like the machine isn't detecting anything. I'm at my wits end right now because I just feel lost. My specs are:

Asus M3N72-D Nvidia nForce 750a SLI Motherboard
AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.5ghz Processor
2gb OCZ DDR2 PC6400 Ram
EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ Superclocked Edition
RAIDMAX RS530SS 530w Power Supply

If you need to know anything PLEASE let me know. Please help me...

P.S. I know this is stupid, but I was messing around with the processor and I forgot to unplug the psu. There was a small flash and I'm not sure if I've ruined any hope of getting my rig up and running. If anyone can help me PLEASE help me. Playing on this laptop is starting to get to me.
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Hi, there is a solution for everything my dear.

Don't lose hope.

Did you perform the Processor test?

If not, do it and check if it heats up. Note AMD processors take a few seconds more to heat up than Intel Processors.

Do you have an internal speaker connected with your motherboard. See SPK 4 pin connector on motherboard.
Thanks for the advice
my computer only goes up to the dell sign then restarts it says I hate the atapi.sys........ is nit something to do with my hard drive or mother board ram someone help pronto I need it for school work or else ill be nothin without it plz help me some people say to delete the caching but I cant acess that without my computer fully booting up I tried debugging mode it only worked once then it froze nothin works should I just re-install my whole computer or is there a way plz help
and some tell me to try minidump files is it worth it last time I tried I got other probs im not tryin that shit
Make sure all power connectors are connected to your hard-drive. After all power connections are connected make sure you install windows.
DJ Akshay,

I have a bit of an unrelated question but.. I thought you could perhaps offer me some advice.

Let me explain. System is a C2Q Q6700 (stock: 2.66Ghz) with P35-DS3L motherboard.
8 GB RAM. Video card: PNY 9800GT 512MB.

Had it stable at 3.0Ghz for a while, but today, I was playing with the
voltage and managed to get it up to 3.3 Ghz. I was rendering some things
and the CPU cores got up to 80C momentarily, idling at 60C. Mind you I upped the voltage to 1.5v.

Later, I turned it off. When I tried to turn it back on this is what
happened. No monitor signal, like it doesn't recognize the monitor. Video
card running at full speed. When starting up, one beep.

I'm very scared because my HD is not backed up and I don't know if I lost
anything! I'm also not sure if I blew the mobo, RAM, CPU, or Video card. I
think it might be the video card because that could be connected to the
problem I had right before when it wouldn't get past the Apple Logo.

Please help me figure this out. It's taking it's toll on me.
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
Reset the BIOS with the help of the JUMPER. Your system will be back to working state.
Hmm....maybe I can get my answer here?????
BTW sorry for your loss, DJ.

Here is my problem.

I bought a new MB and Processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7200
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Now, the problem is that I cant even get the thing to stay on. I turn the power on and after a moment it just shuts down. The lights and fans come on and then shut off. It's completely barebones and the power supply does work(I'm using it right now and I tested it.) The case also isn't faulty since I'm also currently using that without issue.

The computer doesn't overheat because it doesnt stay on long enough, not even a second.

I have narrowed it down to just these 2 but I have no way to test either of them since nobody I know has a similar socket.

I've also tried cleaning off the thermal compound and reapplying, to no success.

So in short.....help???????
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010
I believe you power supply is working but still I recommend you testing with another power supply.

If still it does not work, try shorting the terminal where you connect the power switch. Just short it instantly with the help of a screwdriver. If your system boots properly then you have got a problem with the power switch which I think you can change.

If this also does not work then the motherboard is faulty.

Please follows these instructions step by step for successful troubleshooting.
>
Registration date
Sunday December 21, 2008
Status
Last seen
April 26, 2010

Should I short it while the comp is on?????
Hi All

I check all the steps you guys are talking about ,(Memory,VHA,CPU) but I still can not make my computer to boot up.

Also, when I move the jumper to clear CMOS settings,it wont turn on at all. so the jumper only work in NORMAL but not on CLEAR.

by the way , I have change the FAN because it was making a lot of noice, now its not the same FAN but its little bit bigger,it works fine .

can you guys tell me how do I reset the CMOS settings if jumper dosent work???
Registration date
Saturday August 16, 2008
Status
Last seen
September 22, 2012
this is probably when ur BIOS is corrupt or altered
ok this is what u do

insert the xp installation disc (the same version that ur running)

and restart ur system

then just sit back any follow the instructions

choose repair and not the installation option

ur problem is solved

restart ur system when finished, remove the disc while restarting to avoid reloding

Regards
Melisio Mascarenhas
India-mumbai
mikethedike
i had the same problem as all the people had on this forum thread before me. As I was reading this thread, I left my computer off with the side off. as I finished reading, I pressed the power button 2 to 3 times, realising what an idiot I am, I left the power of. So when u turned it back on, it worked fine. I am saying this because this problem only occurs sometimes and someone could get help from this.
hey.i just got a asus 750i mobo. running a 9800gt and pentium d. when I turn it on it goes threw the post and to the windows loading screen. after that it just goes black. if I try to reinstall it goes threw the install up to the restart. then it just goes black. tried a different gpu and same prob. thanks
Hi DJ,
I have come across with a problem which I could not sort it out.

When I switch on the power supply,fan is on,cd rom is opening and the hardware light is also on bt my monitor is always in off mode.I couldnt hear any beeps at the start up of the PC which I waz able to hear b4 facing the problem.Am not getting signals to monitor.Tried al the methods tat u mentioned but no improvements.

Monitor waz working fine bt then suddenly it stopped its displaying agenda.Can u suggest me wat shld I do and wat cld hav caused the problem??