How do you unlock your iPhone with Face ID while wearing a mask? There is one simple tip that needs only a little bit of preparation. Apple has a facial recognition system for its most recent models (iPhone X, XS, 11, 12, 13) however, unsurprisingly with your face hidden, Face ID doesn't work easily. In this article we will show you how to use Face ID with a mask. and how to unlock your iPhone with your Apple Watch.
What to do when Face ID not working with a mask?
If you are wearing a mask and gloves, and if you are in search of a solution that doesn't imply taking them off, then you should know there is a way of using Face ID and still making it work. iPhone has an option called "Alternate appearance" that was initially created in case of face modification - like growing out a beard, for example - but it can also come in handy when you have your mask on. If you want to know the steps to follow, then keep reading.
How to set up an alternate Face ID appearance on iPhone?
In order to make Face ID recognize you with or without a mask, you should set up two appearances.
- Open Settings and tap Face ID and passcode.
- Input your existing code.
- Tap Set up an Appearance.
- Fold your mask in two (ear to ear side) and then hang it on your ear. Cover your mouth and your nose as you usually do, but do not unfold the mask. You may use your finger to maintain it.
- When you are ready, tap on Get Started.
- Place your face in the center. Then, start moving it slowly so that the face outline gets scanned. Keep moving until all the little lines get green.
- If you get a message saying your face is obstructed, tap Cancel. Adjust your mask and then start again.
- Once this is done, hang your mask on your other ear and start over the procedure.
- When this procedure is done, tap on Set up an Alternate Appearance. Take off your mask and start the procedure again, with a bare face.
Once your two appearances are set up, it is time to make sure the facial recognition of your iPhone works properly.
- Put your mask on as you usually do.
- Start your phone and place your face in the center of the Face ID spot.
- If everything works fine, the little padlock on the screen will open.
How to unlock your iPhone with your Apple Watch?
Firstly, you need to set up unlock with Apple Watch on your iPhone.
- Go into Settings > Face ID & Passcode, and enter your passcode.
- Scroll to unlock with Apple Watch, and then turn the feature on. You will also need to turn on wrist detection.
Now that you have set up unlock with Apple Watch, you should be able to unlock your iPhone by simply raising your wrist (with your watch on). You can test that it works by putting on a mask, or anything else that will obscure your face.