PlayStation 3 - How to access the recovery mode?
This mode provides options to restore your PS3 in case of failure or errors:
- the XMB disappears,
- error due to a mishandling,
- you turned off your Playstation 3 during an update.
As result your console will no longer respond. The recovery mode allows you to fix many issues (both for the normal and slim versions of the PS3).
To access this mode, follow the below procedure:
- Turn off your Playstation 3 (the red LED is still turned on).
- Hold the power button down, to completely turn off your console.
- Keep holding the power button down until you hear a beep followed by 2 consecutive beeps.
- You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB.
- Press the PS button and the Recovery menu will pop up.
The recovery menu gives you access to several options:
- Restart the system: it reboots the console but you will need to reconfigure the audio and video settings.
- Restore the Default settings: During this operation, the default system software will be restored and information about the currently logged user will be deleted.
- Restore the system files: Use this option to fix errors occuring due to corrupted data.
- Rebuild the database: sort and organize the data found on your disk (all games folder will be removed).
- Restore PS3 system: To delete the entire contents of hard disk and restore the default system software.
- System Update: Install the latest PS3 software update.