This article helps users to enable/disable a tag from the command line in a few easy steps. We will show you how to carry out this activity on Windows OS by installing DevCon. This software displays all devices and thus the user can enable or disable a device according to their needs and usually comes installed when you install WDK, Visual Studio, and the Windows SDK.
This allows you enable/disable your internet connection (or network card) on the command line.
- 1. To download, go to the Microsoft website.
- 2. Once downloaded, unpack the file
- 3. Copy \i386\devcon.exe to c:\windows\system32
- 4. Locate the device that you want. In the command prompt type:
devcon find *
Display all the devices in the system
- In the command prompt, type
devcon find *> list.txt
- To get the list in a file
- For example, my network card Accton appears as:
PCI\VEN_1113&DEV_1211&SUBSYS_12111113&REV_10\3&13C0B0C5&0&48: Accton EN1207D Series PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter #2
Choose a piece of the string that identifies the device, and verify it is unique:
c:\>devcon find *VEN_1113
PCI\VEN_1113&DEV_1211&SUBSYS_12111113&REV_10\3&13C0B0C5&0&48: Accton EN1207D Ser
ies PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter #2
1 matching device(s) found.
Make sure that "VEN_1113" means a single network card.
Enable/disable the device
devcon disable *VEN_1113
devcon enable *VEN_1113
This allows me to enable/disable my network card (and therefore my internet connection) from the command line.
- The floppy disk drive is:
ACPI\PNP0700\3&13C0B0C5&0 : standard disk controller
- To disable/enable it at will:
devcon disable * PNP0700
- This eliminates the floppy drive system!
- To prevent your computer from beeping:
ROOT\LEGACY_BEEP\0000 : Beep
Image: © snig - Shutterstock.com
- Devcon disable device
- Devcon disable - Best answers
- Disable device command line windows 10 - Best answers
- Windows 10 disable device connect sound - Guide
- Disable the Sound Notification When Connecting USB Device to Your PC in Windows 8.1 - How-To - Windows 8
- Zune - Disable autostart when compatible device is connected - How-To - Software
- How to Disable 3G or 4G on Android Devices - How-To - Android
- How to disable write protection for usb devices on windows 10 - How-To - USB