This article lets users enable/disable a tag from command line in a few easy steps.
The document shows how to carry out this activity on Windows XP by installing DevCon. The link to download this is provided in the article. This software displays all devices and thus the user can enable or disable a device according to his requirement. The commands for doing this are included in the article.
This allows you enable/disable your internet connection (or network card) on the command line.
- 1. To download, go to the Microsoft website: Link
- 2. Once downloaded, unpack the file
- 3. Copy \i386\devcon.exe to c:\windows\system32
- 4. Locate the device that you want. In the command prompt type:
devcon find *
Display all the devices in the system
- In the command prompt, type
devcon find *> list.txt
- To get the list in a file
- For example, my network card Accton appears as:
Choose a piece of the string that identifies the device, and verify it is unique:
c:\>devcon find *VEN_1113
PCI\VEN_1113&DEV_1211&SUBSYS_12111113&REV_10\3&13C0B0C5&0&48: Accton EN1207D Ser
ies PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter #2
1 matching device(s) found.
Make sure that "VEN_1113" means a single network card.
Enable/disable the device
devcon disable *VEN_1113
devcon enable *VEN_1113
This allows me to enable/disable my network card (and therefore my internet connection) from the command line.
- The floppy disk drive is:
- To disable/enable it at will:
devcon disable * PNP0700
- This eliminates the floppy drive system!
- To prevent your computer from beeping: