Your Android mobile device offers many configuration options regarding your apps and device setup, but not all are easy to find. From sorting apps alphabetically, controlling your data consumption to preventing data collection you can control it and we will show you how in this article.
Organise Android Apps Icons Alphabetically
From the home screen, tap the Menu
button, followed by the left soft key
Tap the Sort
menu, and from the list, select Alphabetical
Disable App History and Data Collection
Google can collect data from the apps (content, links, keywords,..) installed on your Android device. It can be very useful to learn how to turn off the app history feature on your Android device. Follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Accounts > Google.
- Go to Search > Accounts & privacy.
- Tap on Manage app history.
Prevent Apps From Using Your Advertising ID
Your Android device will generate an advertising ID
out of your Google account. This ID is used to display advertising across apps downloaded from the Google Play store. To stop apps from using your advertising ID, follow the below procedure:
- Go to Apps > Google Settings > Ads.
- Check Opt out of interest-based ads.
Prevent Background Updates on Mobile Data
In this section we'll show you how to prevent apps from making background updates (over mobilde data) on your Android smartphone. It is important to be in control of what updates take place on your device and when, otherwise you can wind up using a lot of your mobile data plan without realising it.
- Go to Settings > Wireless & Network > Data Usage.
- Tap on the Menu key (vertical dots).
- Check Restrict bkgd. data.
You can also restrict background updates for specific entries, keeping this feature active for your important apps
(WhatsApp, Gmail, Instagram etc)
- The apps making use of background data are listed in the Data Usage section.
- Select the app of your choice and check Restrict bkgd. data.
Prevent Apps From Sending Push Notifications
Android apps make use of push notifications to inform the user about updates, events or new content. To prevent apps from sending push notifications follow these steps:
On Samsung smartphones:
On Huawei smartphones:
- Go to Settings > Application manager.
- Select the app sending the notifications.
- Uncheck Show notifications.
- Go to Settings > Permission Manager.
- Tap on Push Message
Alternatively you can download one of these to apps to manage push notifications on your Android device:
Image: © 123rf.com