HDAT2 - Test and repair your HDD
Warning: Before using HDAT2, it is essential to check the S.M.A.R.T status of your hard drive. If it is orange or red (Bad Status)
, it is recommended to backup your data before running a scan with HDAT2.
This program does not work under Windows.
- Burn HDAT2 on a CD/DVD.
- Restart your PC and boot from CD/DVD drive.
- Its main function is to scan for and repair (regenerate) bad sectors of your HDD.
- It also provides detailed information about the status of your HDD.
- Get the lates version of HDAT2.
Burn the ISO image
Boot from CD/DVD drive
- Restart your PC and hit the Boot key (F11 or F12).
- Select your CD/DVD drive.
Launching the program
Tested with HDAT2 version 5.0.
- You will get a menu where you need to select the type of HDD.
- For a typical IDE/SATA HDD select: (1) PATA/SATA CD driver only (default)
- If you don't know the type of HDD being used, select option (4).
- A command prompt will be displayed.
- You can enter your commands after
- Type :
HDAT2 To start the program .
- Choose SATA and select the disc you want to repair. You will get information about the size and model of the HDD.
- Note that: HDAT2 may falsely detects the SMART status as "Failing" (Red), while it is not the case when running tests with the manufacturer's tools.
- Hit the "D" key to Detect/ Refresh HDDs.
Test and repair
- Select "Device tests" menu.
- Warning: WRITE tests can cause data loss.
Two choices are available:
- Scan the hard drive without WRITE tests- Detect Bad sectors
- Scan the hard drive with WRITE tests - Detect and fix bad sector menu
If you wish to continue with the repair :
- Choose "Fix with VERIFY/WRITE/VERIFY".
- HDAT2 will scan and regenerate bad sectors.
- Once everything is repaired, run a second scan but this time using the "Detect Bad Sectors menu" without the WRITE tests.
- If other bad sectors are detected it means that your HDD is dead (it will slowly deteriorate until it is completely out of order)!