Here is my checklist to determine why you have a black screen.
+++++++++++ WHAT IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM ++++++++++++++
1) Firstly,,, your video card is fine, as if it was damaged the picture would be black on external monitor too.
2) The drivers are fine for same reason listed above. (Although you should still see if update available)
+++++++++++ CHCKLIST TO DETERMINE YOUR PROBLEM ++++++++++
1) Open case and to make sure power and data cables for screen have not come loose.
2) If cables are intact than you have either a problem with your screen, backlight, or inverter.
3) To Test,,,
a) Remove laptop screen and try it in another laptop...
b) If lcd screen works in other laptop than your inverter is shot.
+++++++++++ SOLUTIONS +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1) If screen works in another laptop, check YOUR cables in other laptop to see if they are faulty, if cables are fine than the inverter is shot and replacing LCD screen will NOT fix the problem, but waste your money.
2) If its determined LCD screen is dead, buy a new one. (Most laptop screens are interchangable)
a) Do not feel compelled to pay more for a brand-specific LCD, Just make sure you get compatible LCD.
b) Get correct size (14.4, 15, 15.4, etc. and resolution (VGA, SVGA,XGA)
3) If; using above criteria you realize it is your inverter board that has failed follow these steps.
NOTE FOR NEWBIES: (Inverter is little computer boatd, about 2-3 cm. x 10-20 cm located above
keyboard and just below monitor with at least 1, mabye 2 plugs connected to LCD)
4) Inverters are generally much more system-specific than LCD screens.
a) To replace inverter, note all possible information. Remove inverter (simple 2 screws and remove cables
Check for part number, etc on top and bottom. Note all info and laptop's exact model #.
b) Google,,, starting with inverter part number to find your replacement part.
C) Otherwise try googling laptop replacement parts sites and use either inverter # or laptop model#.
Now you know how to fix a black screen problem for any laptop made in the last ten years!
GOOD LUCK, ALL THE BEST,