Computer powers on but no signal to monitor [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question luckygirl7 1Posts Friday June 24, 2011Registration date June 24, 2011 Last seen - Last answered on Apr 18, 2017 at 02:24 AM by Telluride
Hello,

My computer would not turn on, had a blinking green light on back of power supply. I ran a diagnostic test where you plug in each component to the power supply 1 at a time. The one that makes the light blink is bad. It was the motherboard. I installed a new motherboard and nothing. I purchased a new, more powerful power supply. After installation, the lights come on, fans run, but no signal to monitor. I have an hdmi card installed. I tried the monitor with and without it...same result. I have reset the bios, changed the ram, and still nothing. I have tried the unplug and hold down the power trick too...and still nothing. Also, the dvd drive will light up and open if it is unplugged from motherboard. It does nothing while plugged in. Both the old and new motherboards give the exact same symptoms. Also, I have tried 2 new power supplies....same results. Please help!!!

See more 
Helpful
+287
plus moins
Greetings,

Please try again:

Remove your power cord and hold the Power On button for 30 seconds to 1 minute and then connect the power cord back and turn it on to see if the problem persists.

Good Luck!
Was this answer helpful?  
Mike- Nov 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Worked great. Thanks.
Frustrated- Nov 28, 2014 at 01:10 PM
Wow. Damn thoght motherboard was dead! Saved me some money! Thanks !
shra- Dec 5, 2014 at 03:28 AM
it worked!!!! yay :)
bev- Mar 7, 2017 at 07:20 AM
Thank you so much! you are a star!
Telluride 1Posts Tuesday April 18, 2017Registration date April 18, 2017 Last seen - Apr 18, 2017 at 02:24 AM
Thank you! Thank you! Can you tell me why your solution works.
Helpful
+47
plus moins
Please, look beyond the monitor.

Is the PC actually booting (fans running is no guarantee of a successful boot)
When you think it should have booted, try the CAPS Lock key, every time you press it the CAPS Lock light on the keyboard should toggle off and on. If this does not happen, the problem is that the PC has not booted, so naturally the monitor cannot display anything.

If it was just the hard drive, you would still see the BIOS screen, so its probably deeper than that, based solely on your brief description. Some obscure HDD problems can prevent a boot however, and that type of failure could mean a thousand $ or more to recover the data (failed on-drive electronics).

It could be the PSU, CPU, Motherboard or ....

If you have access to another PC, I recommend removing the HDD from the failed PC and fitting it as a slave (make sure the jumper is set OK) and recover all your important files.
In this situation you will need to "take ownership" of the files and folders on the old drive to get access from the host PC, that is done as below:
http://windows.microsoft.com/fr-FR/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-access-denied-when-opening-files-or-folders

Good Luck!
Helpful
+47
plus moins
I had this problem, tried everything, nothing worked until I tried this method, worked like a charm, thank you so much.
Helpful
+15
plus moins
I would never have tried that lol, I was pretty much ready to throw the old girl into the bin and buy a new one. Thanks :-)
Helpful
+10
plus moins
Worked also for me !! Thanks Bionic :D
Helpful
+9
plus moins
Thank you so much, it worked for me too!
Helpful
+6
plus moins
I suggest you connect to an external monitor to see if you have a graphic card issue. If you don't get a signal on the other monitor, then it's the graphic card.
plam79- Nov 9, 2014 at 07:07 AM
I just connected to a monitor which is brand new and the massage when started was:
D-SUB
NO SIGNAL
Power saving mode will be activated shortly.
Ambucias 41641Posts Monday February 1, 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus May 22, 2017 Last seen - Nov 9, 2014 at 04:31 PM
There are two possibilities,

Your cables are faulty or

Your graphic card is fried.
liam- Nov 13, 2014 at 10:36 AM
PC power cord n hold for 30 worked for me cheers
plam79 1Posts Sunday November 2, 2014Registration date November 28, 2014 Last seen - Nov 28, 2014 at 06:23 AM
Thanks but do not work for me ...looks like I have problem with the motherboard.. :((

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?