Windows operating system sometimes displays a blue screen
with an error message saying: kernel stack inpage error
. This is sometimes also accompanied by a message saying beginning to dump off physical memory
. The first error happens because of a disk block
which causes corrupted virtual memory
. Dumping of physical memory
may happen due to lack of power on the motherboard. This may also happen due to incompatible RAMs. The other possible reason could be the presence of a boot virus. The user can correct the memory management issues
by modifying the required settings by accessing the registry.
Kernel stack inpage error. Beginning dump off physical memory ...
If Windows displays a blue screen with the following error message:
And/or a message like this:
***stop: 0x0000007 (0x000000e.0x00000000.0x00901000)
Beginning dump off physical memory
Information about this error on Microsoft site:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315266
This error usually occurs when the swap file corresponding to the virtual memory is corrupted due to a disk block which is failing, an error in memory or a disk controller problem. The second parameter indicates the cause of the error. "0xC000009C
" indicate both, a bad block on disk. "0xC0000185
" indicates a problem of termination or SCSI connections, or a conflict between two devices.
- The dump of physical memory may be due to an under-powered device on the motherboard rendering the system unstable (blue screen). One solution is to find an independent power supply for the device (eg USB HUB) or use a more powerful power supply.
- It may also be a problem of memory (two RAM which are incompatible or different brands).
- The presence of a virus boot sector (boot viruses) may also spawn this type of problem; it is advisable to analyze the computer with an updated antivirus.
By modifying the registry
- Edit the registry: Start, then Run and type "regedit"
- Head to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager \ Memory *Management and double-click the DisablePagingExecutive value and enter value 1.
- Then, head to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager\ Memory Management, double-click on the Largesystemcache value and enter 1 as value to increase the size of the hard disk cache.
Before making this change, make a backup of the registry.
This document, titled « Kernel stack inpage error. Beginning dump off physical memory », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM