After getting excited for the PlayStation 5 backwards compatibility with the existing PlayStation 4 games, another question arises: is the DualShock 4 controller compatible with the next-gen console as well ? If you want to find out if you can connect a PS4 Controller to a PS5 and get some additional information, then read on.
DualShock 4 and PS5
DualShock 4 is PS4’s wireless controller and has some really nice features, like motion detection via a three-axis gyroscope and three-axis accelerometer, and the possibility of matching its lightbar with the character controlled in the game, among other things. But does DualShock 4 fit PS5 ? The answer is: it depends. Playing supported PS4 games with this controller on PS5 is possible. This is also the case for some PS VR games - the rest of them requires a PlayStation Move controller. On the other hand, DualShock 4 is not compatible with PS5 games and you need the new PS5 controller called DualSense. According to Sony, there is a reason behind this decision. On their official blog, the team argues that “PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller”.
Other Compatibility Questions
Now that the controller compatibility question is answered, you may be wondering what is happening to the rest of PS4 accessories, and even if all PS4 games are supported on PS5.
Connecting other existing PS4 peripherals and accessories
When it comes to the other PS4 peripherals and accessories, here is what Sony has stated:
- PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller are compatible with supported PS VR games on PS5.
- The camera for PS4 will work for the supported PS VR games (this requires a PlayStation Camera adaptor - at no additional cost).
- Officially licensed racing wheels, arcade and flight sticks are compatible with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
- PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games.
- In terms of headsets, the Platinum headset, as well as the Gold Wireless Headset, and third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, are compatible with PS5.
PS5 is marketed as having backwards compatibility with the majority of PS4 games. However this means that there are some titles that are not supported. The list includes:
- Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
- Joe's Diner
- Shadow Complex Remastered
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate
- Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India
- Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
- Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia
- Robinson: The Journey
- Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
- Just Deal With It!
- Space Junkies
- Werewolves Within
- Star Trek Bridge Crew (PSVR)
- TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
- We Sing
Sony also points out that there may be “some errors” and also “unexpected behavior” when playing the supported PS4 titles. It is possible that not all the functionalities of those games are available.
- How to connect playstation move controller to ps5
- How to connect move controllers to ps5 - Best answers
- How to connect ps4 controller to ps5 - Best answers
- Playstation 3 controller not connecting - How-To - PS3
- How to connect a ps4 controller to gta 5 pc - Guide
- Connect playstation - How-To - Platform
- How to reset a playstation 4 controller - How-To - Platform
- Playstation 4 controller won't stop vibrating - How-To - Platform