Black Screen After Windows Logo on Log-in (password) Screen [Solved/Closed]

Crossbones18 2 Posts Wednesday January 16, 2013Registration date January 21, 2013 Last seen - Jan 16, 2013 at 08:50 PM - Latest reply: Abin Simon 2 Posts Monday November 4, 2013Registration date November 4, 2013 Last seen
- Nov 4, 2013 at 09:32 AM
Hello,

I recently built my own computer, and ran a few updates on it via Windows 7 x64 Updater. Everything was running fine until my third time updating. It restarted, and was installing the updates. The screen goes black. I hear everything open up, and even if I type my password in, and hit enter, I can hear it go into the desktop.

I rebooted, and went into Safe Mode, and I could see everything again. I assumed the graphics card got a bad update somehow, even though I know for a fact that my Gforce GTX 650 Ti had the most current drivers.

So I went into my devices, and uninstalled my device and it's drivers. I restarted, and windows reinstalled the graphics card drivers. I restarted again, and the black screen came back. I repeated this process, but instead, I got the drivers from the NVidia website, and did a "clean install". This didn't do any justice either, because I still get the black screen.

I then tried to do a System Restore back to yesterday, being that it worked fine then, and this happened today. Still...nothing.

I have my windows Reinstallation disk, and will use it if I have to, but would like to know if there is anything else I could possibly do to fix this.

It's so weird that Windows could do something this messed up to my computer.

Thanks for your help.

Other Hardware:

MSI- Military Class III Z77A-G45 Motherboard
Nvidia GForce GTX 650 Ti
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

See more 

5 replies

Crossbones18 2 Posts Wednesday January 16, 2013Registration date January 21, 2013 Last seen - Jan 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Thank you
Thanks for the help, but I figured it out.

Apparently, there is some type of corruption with the NVidia divers and the OS where the OS thinks that there is 2 monitors, and that the one monitor I do have is labeled as #2.

The Fix:

Blindly put in your password and hit enter.

Find the mouse on your desktop, right click, screen resolution, and make #2 monitor you main.
Zohaib R 2420 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date July 12, 2018 Last seen - Jan 22, 2013 at 01:18 AM
Thank you
Hi Crossbones18,

I am glad to know that you found a work around. Try setting up your monitor as a primary Monitor or try using "Windows + P" key to switch the monitor to "Computer only" mode.

Do reply with results.
thank you. I did Windows p, chose extend screen, and got my screen back on
Abin Simon 2 Posts Monday November 4, 2013Registration date November 4, 2013 Last seen - Nov 4, 2013 at 09:32 AM
Thank you
It is the problem with your antivirus(AVAST). It is known as the black screen problem.
You can just google it with the keyword "black screen problem".
Zohaib R 2420 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date July 12, 2018 Last seen - Jan 17, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Thank you
Hi Crossbones18,

As you have mentioned the computer works fine in the safe mode, perform a clean boot to check if if resolves the problem. To get the steps on how to perform a clean boot, check the below mentioned link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Do reply with results.

Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell