Abin Simon
Registration date
Monday November 4, 2013
Status
Last seen
November 4, 2013
-
Hello,

I recently built my own computer, and ran a few updates on it via Windows 7 x64 Updater. Everything was running fine until my third time updating. It restarted, and was installing the updates. The screen goes black. I hear everything open up, and even if I type my password in, and hit enter, I can hear it go into the desktop.

I rebooted, and went into Safe Mode, and I could see everything again. I assumed the graphics card got a bad update somehow, even though I know for a fact that my Gforce GTX 650 Ti had the most current drivers.

So I went into my devices, and uninstalled my device and it's drivers. I restarted, and windows reinstalled the graphics card drivers. I restarted again, and the black screen came back. I repeated this process, but instead, I got the drivers from the NVidia website, and did a "clean install". This didn't do any justice either, because I still get the black screen.

I then tried to do a System Restore back to yesterday, being that it worked fine then, and this happened today. Still...nothing.

I have my windows Reinstallation disk, and will use it if I have to, but would like to know if there is anything else I could possibly do to fix this.

It's so weird that Windows could do something this messed up to my computer.

Thanks for your help.

Other Hardware:

MSI- Military Class III Z77A-G45 Motherboard
Nvidia GForce GTX 650 Ti
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

4 replies

Registration date
Sunday September 23, 2012
Status
Last seen
December 13, 2018
Hi Crossbones18,

I am glad to know that you found a work around. Try setting up your monitor as a primary Monitor or try using "Windows + P" key to switch the monitor to "Computer only" mode.

Do reply with results.
thank you. I did Windows p, chose extend screen, and got my screen back on
Registration date
Wednesday January 16, 2013
Status
Last seen
January 21, 2013

Thanks for the help, but I figured it out.

Apparently, there is some type of corruption with the NVidia divers and the OS where the OS thinks that there is 2 monitors, and that the one monitor I do have is labeled as #2.

The Fix:

Blindly put in your password and hit enter.

Find the mouse on your desktop, right click, screen resolution, and make #2 monitor you main.
Registration date
Monday November 4, 2013
Status
Last seen
November 4, 2013

It is the problem with your antivirus(AVAST). It is known as the black screen problem.
You can just google it with the keyword "black screen problem".
Registration date
Sunday September 23, 2012
Status
Last seen
December 13, 2018
Hi Crossbones18,

As you have mentioned the computer works fine in the safe mode, perform a clean boot to check if if resolves the problem. To get the steps on how to perform a clean boot, check the below mentioned link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Do reply with results.

Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell