Is the DualShock 4 controller compatible with the next-gen console? If you want to find out if you can connect a PS4 Controller to a PS5 and get some additional information, then read on.
Does PS5 support DualShock 4?
DualShock 4 is PS4’s wireless controller and has some really nice features, like motion detection via a three-axis gyroscope and three-axis accelerometer, and the possibility of matching its lightbar with the character controlled in the game, among other things. But does DualShock 4 fit PS5? The answer is: it depends. Playing supported PS4 games with this controller on PS5 is possible. This is also the case for some PS VR games - the rest of them requires a PlayStation Move controller. On the other hand, DualShock 4 is not compatible with PS5 games and you need the PS5 controller called DualSense. According to Sony, there is a reason behind this decision. On their official blog, the team argues that “PS5 games should take advantage of the new capabilities and features we’re bringing to the platform, including the features of DualSense wireless controller”.
How to connect a PS4 controller to PS5 without a cable?
- From the home screen, click the gear icon on the top-right corner. This will open the Settings.
- Scroll down and select Accessories.
- Bluetooth and Accessories should be turned ON.
- Select Bluetooth Accessories.
- On your PS4 controller, press the share button and the PS4 logo button simultaneously - this will enable the pairing mode.
- You will see your DualShock under Accessories found.
- Scroll down and select DualShock 4.
- You will get a message saying Do you want to register this Bluetooth accessory? Select Yes.
How to connect your PS4 controller to PS5 with a cable?
- Plug your DualShock 4 controller into your PS5 with a charging cable.
- Select the user account that you want to use.
- That's it!
Are PS4 accessories compatible with PS5?
Now that the controller compatibility question is answered, you may be wondering what is happening to the rest of PS4 accessories, and even if all PS4 games are supported on PS5.
Connecting other existing PS4 peripherals and accessories
When it comes to the other PS4 peripherals and accessories, here is what Sony has stated:
- PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller are compatible with supported PS VR games on PS5.
- The camera for PS4 will work for the supported PS VR games (this requires a PlayStation Camera adaptor - at no additional cost).
- Officially licensed racing wheels, arcade and flight sticks are compatible with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
- PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games.
- In terms of headsets, the Platinum headset, as well as the Gold Wireless Headset, and third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, are compatible with PS5.
PS5 is marketed as having backward compatibility with the majority of PS4 games. However, this means that there are some titles that are not supported. The list includes:
- Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
- Joe's Diner
- Shadow Complex Remastered
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate
- Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India
- Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
- Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia
- Robinson: The Journey
- Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
- Just Deal With It!
- Space Junkies
- Werewolves Within
- Star Trek Bridge Crew (PSVR)
- TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
- We Sing
Sony also points out that there may be “some errors” and also “unexpected behavior” when playing the supported PS4 titles. It is possible that not all the functionalities of those games are available.
- Ps5 move controller
- How to connect move controllers to ps5
- How to connect motion controller to ps5
- How to check battery on PlayStation controller: PS4, PS5 > Guide
- How to use ps5 controller on gta 5 pc epic games > Guide
- How to turn off vibration on PS4 controller: on PC, Fortnite > Guide
- How long to charge PlayStation controller: PS3, PS4, PS5 > Guide
- How to turn off sound on PS4 controller > Guide
- PS3 not reading discs: how to fix, after update
- PS4 controller not responding: white light, in game, on pc
- PSP update: 6.61, firmware, PlayStation
- Too many USB devices connected PS4: fix the error
- Expand your PS5 storage: internal, external
- How to update PS3 with USB: safe mode
- PS3 recovery mode: without controller, not working
- PS3 can't obtain IP address: PlayStation 3 fix
- How to reset PS3 controller: on PC, without reset button
- PS4 safe mode: options, not working
- How to fix a slow PSP
- PS3 error codes and solutions
- How to connect your Playstation 4 to PC
- Reset PlayStation 3: display settings HDMI
- How to play PlayStation 4 games online
- PS3 mode not supported: Samsung HDMI, on TV
- PS4 audio output settings: for headphones
- Link PlayStation 4: to Facebook, to Twitter
- PS4 auto shutdown: after download, in rest mode
- How to turn off PS4 system sounds
- How to disable PS4 share play
- How to play MP4 on a PSP 3000
- Install Flash Player on Playstation 3: 2021
- How to clear your PS4 browsing history?
- How to turn off notifications on PS4
- How to buy games on PlayStation store: for free
- How to change the language on PSP
- Find and add friends on PS4: from Facebook, online
- PS4 text to speech: not working
- PS5 console: release date, price, stock
- How to clear PS3: cache, cookies
- Turn off controller vibration: PS3
- How to connect a BigBen controller to a PS3
- How to reset your PlayStation network password?
- How to clear your browsing history on PS3?
- How to add the accessibility menu to Quick Menu on PS4?
- Switch from HDMI to SCART: PlayStation 3
- Obtain an IP address on the PS3
- How to delete cookies on PlayStation 4
- Sony bug bounty program: explanation and rewards
- How to save and backup game data on PS4
- PS Now vs PS Plus
- How to customize the PS4 controller
- PlayStation 4: tips and tricks
- How to save battery life on PS4 controller