Here's how to increase the cache of your hard disk and improve the performance of your PC.
Why should you increase your hard disk space?
A cache is a temporary area of storage for quick access to frequently accessed data. It is a very efficient tool used in Windows Vista and XP which is set as default under these two operating systems. Reading and writing from the hard drive's cache allows for faster access to some applications.
To increase the cache on the hard disk, the LargeSystemCache registry key has to be updated. A cache memory stores frequently accessed data for quick access. When a file stored on the hard disk is accessed, the OS stores a copy of this file in the cache memory. The next time the file is accessed, the OS retrieves the file from the cache memory thereby reducing the access time greatly. Some changes to the hardware, like RAM, may be required to increase the cache of a hard disk drive. A higher cache memory allocation will require more RAM.
The cache speeds up file loading times because it keeps a copy on the local machine, meaning it does not have to be downloaded again if it is accessed multiple times. Windows will consult the cache before downloading information, and if it already exists there it can save time by using the local copy stored in the machine's RAM.
How to increase the cache on the hard disk?
Due to higher cache memory allocation, it is recommended to have more than 256MB of RAM for better efficiency. It is highly recommended to save your registry before any configuration.
First, click on Start and select Run
- Type regedit in the new window:
- Detect the below command:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
- Then change the LargeSystemCache DWORD from 0 to 1.
- Increase disk cache windows 10
- Hard drive memory
- Hard disk memory
- How to increase cache memory in Windows: 10, 8, 7 > Guide
- Increase firefox cache > Guide
- Ssd cache windows 10 > Guide
- Clear bluetooth cache windows 10 > Guide
- Toshiba satellite recovery disk download windows 7 [solved] > Forum - Recovery software
- How to turn off system sounds on Windows 10
- How to fix F1 error at Windows startup?
- Change your computer name on Windows 10: via cmd, settings
- Where apps are stored on Windows 10?
- LAN settings on Windows 10: check and configure
- PC restarting on its own: Windows 10, 11
- How to change Windows 10's default photo viewer?
- Show hidden files on Windows 10: via cmd, shortcut
- How to turn on and use Wake on LAN on a PC?
- Clear the Windows update cache: via cmd, Notepad
- Permanently disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
- How to disable volume shadow copy?
- Reset Windows password: via cmd, without logging in
- Update to Windows 10 for free
- How to install the latest Windows 10 update?
- How to adjust default virtual memory size on Windows 10?
- Delete Windows.old from Windows 10: via CCleaner, Start menu
- How to empty the Recycle bin on C drive in Windows 10?
- Multi-touch gestures on Windows 10: enable and disable
- Windows calendar show week number
- Speed up Windows 10 computer performance
- Identify your motherboard on Windows 10: via cmd, DirectX
- Reinstall Windows 10 without losing data: via USB or ISO
- Save documents as PDF: on Windows 10, 8 and 7
- Windows 10 Quick Access menu: customize and edit
- Windows 10 desktop keyboard shortcuts: the ultimate guide
- How to remove password control at login on Windows 10?
- Change Windows 10 settings: language and region
- How to customize Mail app settings on Windows 10
- Play music on computer startup: Windows 10, Windows 7
- God Mode folder on Windows 10: features
- How to right click on touch screen: Windows 10, monitor
- Asus smart gesture not working: after Windows 10 update
- Disable Ctfmon.exe at startup on Windows 10
- Fix touchpad on Windows 10: disabled, incompatible driver
- How to create a Windows 10 bootable USB or installation DVD?
- Disable background apps: on Windows 10, 7, and 8
- Pagefile.sys file: purpose, size, location
- How to activate a pirated version of Windows?
- How to change the installation location on Windows 7, 10, 11
- How to open Internet Explorer in Windows 10 via cmd?
- How to send email attachments on Windows 10?
- Open the Device Manager on Windows 10: via cmd, run, shortcut
- How to set up the phone companion app in Windows 10?
- Customize the Send To menu on Windows 10: add items
- Install RSync under Windows: cygwin, powershell
- Send text messages from Windows 10 via Your Phone app
- Pin Run to the Windows Start menu: on Windows 7/8/10
- Mount ISO files: Windows 10
- Windows 10: Home Vs Pro
- How to display Windows 10 update in Control Panel?
- Best Windows 10 browser: 2022, for privacy
- How to boot in safe mode in Windows 8, 10?
- How to switch graphics processor on Windows 10
- How to hide desktop icons on Windows 10?
- How to change Cortana search engine: to Google
- Take photos with your webcam on Windows 7, 10
- How to open the Windows 10 registry via cmd
- USB not recognized: Windows 10 fix
- How to turn off Taskbar Tidbits in Windows 10
- How to use Cortana in Windows 10
- How to enable classic notifications in Windows 10
- How to create a desktop shortcut for Cortana: WIndows 10
- How to record screen: Windows 11, 10
- How to uninstall Microsoft Edge on Windows 10