Windows is often praised for its ease of use, which is why glitches like problems deleting a file or a folder are especially frustrating. There are many solutions to this seemingly simple roadblock, and this walkthrough will introduce you to the different ways that you might be able to get past it.
Error deleting file or folder in Windows
The first thing that you should do is identify the source of the issue, which will help you choose a method of solving it. Windows might prevent you from deleting a file or a folder because it is being used by system processes, contains hidden files or folders, is set to read-only mode, or belongs to another user, and you don't possess the right to delete the file. It could also be off-limits to you because the file system of the hard drive contains errors, is infected with a virus, or the hard drive may be failing overall (this being a more serious hardware issue).
Your error message might help be your best clue to diagnosing the problem. Possible messages include error deleting file or folder, can not delete file: access is denied, there has been a sharing violation, the source or destination file may be in use, and the file is in use by another program or user.
How to display hidden system files?
Before you can begin to solve your file issue, you must first display any system files that may be hidden.
- First open My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Advanced Settings.
- Check the boxes corresponding to the Display the contents of system folders and Show hidden files and folders options.
- Uncheck the boxes next to the Hide extensions for known file types and Hide protected operating system files (recommended) options.
- Finish up by clicking Apply to all folders > OK.
How to reboot your computer in safe mode?
One way to reset your ability to delete system files is by rebooting your computer in Safe mode.
Restart the computer, and tap the F8 key before Windows loads. Try to delete the file again.
How to copy and paste the file/folder to another location?
Another solution is to try to move the file or folder to another location before deleting it. To do this, simply copy the file (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + P) the file into a new location.
Try to delete the file from its new location.
How to delete via command prompt?
You might be successful in deleting the file by using a command prompt.
Press Ctrl + Alt + Del, and stop the explorer.exe process. Both the icons and the taskbar will disappear.
Next, click File > New Task > run cmd.
Access the folder by using the following command:
Then, delete the file using the following command:
Finally, click File > New Task, and run explorer.exe.
How to scan your hard drive?
If you are still unable to delete the file, you may need to perform a scan of your hard drive. We recommend that you scan the disk with Scandisk.
Right-click on the hard drive/partition, and then, click Properties > Tools.
In the Error Checking section, click Check Now.
Try to delete the file once the scan is complete. Repeat this procedure in Safe mode, if necessary.
How to launch an antivirus scan?
You may also want to try scanning the computer with an updated antivirus in order to get rid of a stubborn unwanted file.
If none of these options work, you may want to try out additional software to help you through the process.
- Unable to delete ccm folder
- Error deleting file or folder
- Error deleting file
- How to delete files that cannot be deleted on Windows? > Guide
- Unable to delete folder (item cannot be found) [solved] > Forum - Windows
- Shortcut key to delete files folders permanently > Guide
- Unable to delete history in chrome > Guide
- Force delete Mac file: in use, terminal > Guide
- How to turn off system sounds on Windows 10
- How to fix F1 error at Windows startup?
- Change your computer name on Windows 10: via cmd, settings
- Where apps are stored on Windows 10?
- LAN settings on Windows 10: check and configure
- PC restarting on its own: Windows 10, 11
- How to change Windows 10's default photo viewer?
- Show hidden files on Windows 10: via cmd, shortcut
- How to turn on and use Wake on LAN on a PC?
- Clear the Windows update cache: via cmd, Notepad
- Permanently disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
- How to disable volume shadow copy?
- How to clear your Bluetooth sync history in Windows 10?
- Reset Windows password: via cmd, without logging in
- Update to Windows 10 for free
- How to install the latest Windows 10 update?
- How to adjust default virtual memory size on Windows 10?
- Delete Windows.old from Windows 10: via CCleaner, Start menu
- How to empty the Recycle bin on C drive in Windows 10?
- Multi-touch gestures on Windows 10: enable and disable
- Windows calendar show week number
- Speed up Windows 10 computer performance
- How to increase your PC hard disk space?
- Identify your motherboard on Windows 10: via cmd, DirectX
- Fix corrupted driver: Code 39, Windows 10
- Reinstall Windows 10 without losing data: via USB or ISO
- Command prompt: Windows 10, commands, shortcut
- Save documents as PDF: on Windows 10, 8 and 7
- Windows 10 Quick Access menu: customize and edit
- How to remove password control at login on Windows 10?
- Change Windows 10 settings: language and region
- How to customize Mail app settings on Windows 10
- Play music on computer startup: Windows 10, Windows 7
- God Mode folder on Windows 10: features
- How to right click on touch screen: Windows 10, monitor
- Asus smart gesture not working: after Windows 10 update
- Disable Ctfmon.exe at startup on Windows 10
- Fix touchpad on Windows 10: disabled, incompatible driver
- How to create a Windows 10 bootable USB or installation DVD?
- Disable background apps: on Windows 10, 7, and 8
- Pagefile.sys file: purpose, size, location
- How to activate a pirated version of Windows?
- How to change the installation location on Windows 7, 10, 11
- How to open Internet Explorer in Windows 10 via cmd?
- How to send email attachments on Windows 10?
- Open the Device Manager on Windows 10: via cmd, run, shortcut
- How to set up the phone companion app in Windows 10?
- Customize the Send To menu on Windows 10: add items
- Install RSync under Windows: cygwin, powershell
- Send text messages from Windows 10 via Your Phone app
- Pin Run to the Windows Start menu: on Windows 7/8/10
- Mount ISO files: Windows 10
- How to display Windows 10 update in Control Panel?
- Best Windows 10 browser: 2022, for privacy
- How to boot in safe mode in Windows 8, 10?
- How to switch graphics processor on Windows 10
- How to hide desktop icons on Windows 10?
- How to change Cortana search engine: to Google
- Take photos with your webcam on Windows 7, 10
- How to open the Windows 10 registry via cmd
- USB not recognized: Windows 10 fix
- How to turn off Taskbar Tidbits in Windows 10
- How to use Cortana in Windows 10
- How to enable classic notifications in Windows 10
- Windows 10: Home Vs Pro
- How to create a desktop shortcut for Cortana: WIndows 10
- Speed up PC startup on Windows 7, 8, 10
- How to record screen: Windows 11, 10
- How to uninstall Microsoft Edge on Windows 10