Do you want to use Signal on your PC? The Signal instant messaging app is known as a great alternative to WhatsApp and Telegram, and stands out for its focus on taking care of users' privacy. In this article, we explain how you can use Signal on a computer.
This application does not collect your data or access the content of your chats and offers end-to-end encryption across the entire platform. Like WhatsApp, Signal can be used on your computer, whether it's Windows, Mac or Linux, thanks to its desktop application. The advantage is that Signal allows you to make audio and video calls on your computer! To do so, you only need to link the mobile app to your PC beforehand.
Note: Check this article to discover how and why to use Signal.
How to Use Signal on Your Computer
To start using the desktop version of Signal, be sure to install and configure Signal
on your Android or iOS first.
2. Then, download and install
Signal on your computer.
Signal for Windows
Signal for Mac
Signal for Linux
3. Once the installation is complete, open the application and a window with a QR code
4. Open the Signal app
on your smartphone and click on the circular icon with your initials
or your photo
in the upper left corner of the screen.
5. Next, you'll see the Settings
options. There, select Linked Devices
6. In Android, click on the +
button at the bottom right of the screen. On iOS, touch the Link New Device
option, Scan QR Code
: Give the app permission to access your camera
to scan the QR code.
7. When your mobile camera is activated, focus on the QR code
that appears on your computer screen. Tap Link Device
on Android or Link New Device
in iOS. The connection will then be established.
8. In the Signal app on your computer, choose a name
for your linked PC and click the blue button
9. After a few seconds, the app window will start loading your contacts
. Click on any of them to send a message
10. In the same way as in the mobile app, you can make calls and video calls directly from the Signal application on your computer, using its microphone and webcam. To do this, just click on the corresponding icon
in the upper right-hand side of the chat window.
11. Give Signal the necessary permissions to use your computer's microphone and webcam. To do this, click Allow access
12. Then click Start call
Photo – Signal