How to stop Safari from opening web downloads
Safari automatically opens downloaded files it considers as Safe. It may include compressed files, PDF, pictures, videos, and other type of files downloaded from trusted sources. But sometimes, the so-called safe files may contain viruses or malware. You might want to turn off this feature (enabled by default) for your own good. It can be done from Safari's preferences or through a simple terminal command.
How to turn off "Auto Open Safe Download" in Safari?
- Launch Safari.
- Click on the Safari menu > Preferences.
- Go to the General tab and clear the Open "safe" files after downloading checkbox.
How to turn off "Auto Open Safe Download" from the terminal?
To turn off the auto-open function from the terminal, simply open a the Terminal app (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal) and run the following command:
defaults write com.apple.Safari AutoOpenSafeDownloads -boolean NO
Do you need more help with your web browser? Check out our forum!
Around the same subject
- Safari auto open downloads
- Safari download history > Guide
- How to update NVIDIA drivers: Windows 10, Windows 11 > Guide
- Any auto clicker for Xbox One? [solved] > Xbox360 & Xbox One Forum
- Grand theft auto 1 download > Download - Action and adventure
- Safari view source > Guide