If you are having difficulty getting Skype to recognise an external microphone, or simply your microphone isn't working, we're here to help. This article will walk you through some possible solutions that you can use to solve any microphone issues that you may have while using Skype.
Skype Microphone Not Working
There are two different ways that you can make adjustments to your Skype audio input: via the control panel
and in the application
Adjust Skype Sound in the Control Panel
- Head to the Control Panel, and click on Sounds and Audio Devices.
- Go to the Playback tab, and check that nothing is currently set to mute.
- Under the Recording tab, verify that microphone is checked.
Adjust Skype Sound in the Application
- Open Skype and head to Audio & Video Settings > Microphone.
- If you want to use your built in microphone, select Built In Microphone.
- If you want to select an alternative input, in the same menu there will be a list of any other connected devices that you can use.
Update Computer Sound Card Drivers
If Skype still does not recognize your microphone, the problem may be due to the sound card. In this case, you should check the brand and model of the sound card and also download the latest drivers.
It may also be useful to go to the manufacturer's website and try to download the latest audio drivers.
Image: © Ken Wolter - 123RF.com
This document, titled « Skype Won't Recognize Microphone », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM