Hi dean w.,
First check that it's connected in the right jack plug (green one).
Please update the latest audio drivers from the support site (laptop manufacturer's website) and check. If you need help with finding the audio drivers, please reply with the Device Instance ID of the Audio Card in your computer. To get the Device Instance ID:
1. Press and hold the Windows Key and then press the R key on the keyboard to launch Run Dialog Box.
2. Type "devmgmt.msc" and hit "Enter".
3. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers" and check what device is listed here. If the sound card is not listed here, expand the "Unknown Devices" and check.
4. Double click the listed Audio Card.
5. Click the "Details" tab.
6. Select Device Instance Path or Device Instance Id (whichever is available for your version of Windows) from the drop down box.
7. Make a note of the Device Instance Path or Device Instance ID and add this in your reply.
Thanks & Regards