A Konami Code is probably the most famous cheat code that is used for shortcuts or tricks in video games, programs, and web pages. With it, you can receive bonuses, unlock additional options, view hidden options and have a lot of fun.
What is the Konami code?
Kazuhisa Hashimoto, developer at Japanese company Konami, created the Konami Code (コナミコマンド) in 1986 for testing new video games. Later this code was integrated into many games, apps, and services to enable some secret and fun features. It is used to get shortcuts and tricks that are not "officially" available. In many cases, its application is simply the integration of what is known in the tech geek world as an "Easter egg", that is, a funny trick for users.
How to use the Konami code?
To activate the Konami Code, press the following key sequence on your controller or keyboard:
- Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start (↑↑↓↓←→←→ B A)
If you have a PlayStation, you can also replace the A and B buttons with the O and X buttons. Keep in mind that this code was created in the 80s, when video game button commands were just emerging for the video ga. After entering the code, different options will appear depending on the page, program or video game where you use it. For example, in Contra, when you enter the code you get 30 extra lives. It was this trick in Contra that made the code extremely popular in 1987, and since then other developers have been using it.
If the game is set up to recognize the code, you will hear a confirmation beep and the reward will probably be charged directly to you. However, how the code works depends on where you use it.
Where can I use the Konami code?
You are probably wondering what are the main rewards and cheats of Konami. Here we will share with you some games, websites or services where you can apply this code.
- League of Legends - You'll be able to wear the Final Boss skin, say phrases from other games, and dial the Konami code on an in-game controller every time you retreat to the spawn point.
- Contra - get 30 extra lives and play without worries.
- Anthem - Change the music to the 80s style.
- Rocket League - Access to the alternate version Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars that failed before creating the current hit version (enter the code on the in-game splash screen.)
- Overwatch - D.Va's mecha starts to rain while the character is reciting the code.
- Google Assistant - Respond with the phrase "infinite Google searches" (there is no utility in this, just pure fun).
- App Bank of Canada - counterfeit bills rain obviously on the screen while playing the country's anthem.
- Alexa - Activate 'Super Alexa' mode (just for a laugh).
- On the Polaroid Originals website - A Stranger Things-style arcade game unfolds.
More video games that offer tricks or rewards when entering the Konami code:
Gradius, Castlevania, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dance Dance Revolution, International Super Soccer, Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Super Contra, Batman Returns, BioShock Infinite, Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition, Plants Vs. Zombies.