The server requirements of a webmaster working on a website may vary from time to time. If they are constrained by a small size, minimal memory, speed and low costs, then tinyweb offers a nice solution. Not only is a extremely small server, it also works without installation. It can be easily run on Windows OS by accessing it via command. One of the best features about this server is that the webmaster can launch multiple tiny web browsers at any given point in time. All these features make this a very handy tool on Windows for those who feel restricted while working with their usual servers.
Introduction to TinyWeb
TinyWeb is a lightweight server for Windows, which works quickly and is very precise.
- It doesn't require installation.
- Ultra-compact (only 59kb in size).
- Consumes less than 3 MB of memory.
- Very fast .
- Free .
To run TinyWeb
- You will have to create an index.html file:
- Example: c:\www\index.html
- Then add some content, e.g.:
<html><body>Hello, world !</body></html>
- In the command line, run:
- Note: You need to use the absolute path
- Check the result on :http://localhost
How to Stop TinyWeb
- Open the Task Manager (CTRL+Alt+Del) and end the process tiny.exe
- Or, using the command line:
taskkill /F /IM tiny.exe
You can use TinyWeb for CGI:
- Create a file:
- Add the following code:
echo Content-type: text/plain
echo Hi !
echo Your IP ADDRESS is %REMOTE_ADDR% and your BROWSER is %HTTP_USER_AGENT%
- Go to:http://localhost/cgi-bin/test.bat
You can launch several Tiny web servers simultaneously.
Note: there is also an SSL version, which is also free - TinySSL. Download it here.
Binay Files in CGI
Unlike Unix / Linux, the Windows console does not use binary data by default. If your CGI needs to send binary files you will need to force it into binary mode manually. For example in Python:
import sys if sys.platform == "win32": import os, msvcrt msvcrt.setmode(sys.stdout.fileno(), os.O_BINARY)
Image: © Unsplash
- Simple http server windows
- Tiny web server windows 10 - Best answers
- Simple web server windows - Best answers
- Gameranger no response from server windows 10 ✓ - Forum - Internet/Social Networks
- You don't have permission to access / on this server windows 10 ✓ - Forum - Google Chrome
- Copy files from one server to another windows batch script ✓ - Forum - Windows
- Disable shadow copy windows server 2016 - How-To - Windows
- Windows server 2016 exe files won't run - How-To - Windows