Whether it is to solve connection problems, access blocked content or avoid possible traces of our Internet activity, many of us wonder how to see the IP address of our PC or router at home and, moreover, how to change it. In this article, we will show you everything you need to know.
What is an IP address?
Your Internet Protocol (IP) address is a numerical address that identifies your devices on a given network, something like a license plate or a fingerprint. These devices include not only your PC or phone but also your router. In fact, there are two types of IPs:
- Private: The address each device uses to connect to the router (internal network). Generally, computers on a home network have an IP address within the range of 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx.
- Public: The address that your Internet service provider assigns to your router and that is displayed when you browse the Internet. All devices connected to that router will display the same address.
How to know my private IP address?
On Windows 10
1) In the taskbar search box, type cmd and press Enter.
2) This will launch the Command Prompt application where you need to type ipconfig and press Enter again.
3) If you are connected via Wi-Fi, look at the Wi-Fi Wireless LAN Adapter section and specifically where it says IPv4 Address - this is the local IP address of your PC.
On Windows 8
1) Press the Windows key to access the Start screen. Type cmd into the browser and press Enter.
2) Follow steps 2 and 3 of the previous section (Windows 10).
On Windows 7
1) Click on the Windows logo on the bottom left, type cmd in the search and run the application.
2) Follow steps 2 and 3 of the section referring to Windows 10.
See How to check your Android phone's IP address article.
Linux users can find their IP address by typing in ifconfig as a root. Alternatively, you may also type in /sbin/ifconfig in a console as a user.
How to view your public IP address?
This is even easier than searching for your private IP address. You don't even need to search for it: we give it to you. Your public IP address is:
Why change your IP address?
Your IP, or Internet Protocol address acts as your computer's ID card, allows it to be located on a network, and makes it possible for you to access the web. You might want to change your IP address for several reasons, including to avoid consequences when illegally downloading content from the Internet or in an effort to protect your anonymity while browsing.
Your IP address is expressed as a series of numbers, and there are usually at least two types that are associated with your device: the local IP address and the external (or public) IP address.
Your local IP address is used by an internal network and allows several machines to connect to a given router. Your external IP address is assigned to your router by your internet service provider (ISP). Depending on your ISP, you will be assigned either a static IP address — meaning that each computer connected to the router receives a designated IP address — or a dynamic IP address. If you have a static IP address, you will not be able to renew or change it; if you have a dynamic address, your ISP may decide to regularly update it at its discretion.
How to change my private IP?
Although it’s not visible on the Internet, changing the local IP can also be useful, especially if there is a problem of conflict of IP addresses between two computers connected to the same network. To change it, follow these steps:
1) Re-open the application Command Prompt by typing cmd in the search box.
2) Type ipconfig /release and press Enter to release the IP address currently assigned to your computer.
3) Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter to request and get a new one.
4) Check the IP address again by typing ipconfig and pressing Enter. Having previously released it, the router may have chosen it again and you find that it has not changed. This does not mean that the procedure did not work, but simply that this is the ideal IP address for the computer you are on.
What are the alternative methods?
Changing your IP address can be achieved by rebooting the router or even by reconnecting to your home network after connecting to a different one. To do this, your network adapter must be configured to allow the router to automatically assign the IP to your computer.
Check this by going to Start > Settings > Network and Internet > Change Adapter Options. Right click on the connection you are using and select Properties. Go to Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) without unchecking the box and click Properties. You should see the option Obtain an IP address automatically.
From here you can also set your IP address manually by checking the box Use the following IP address, but you must know the network parameters very well if you do not want to cause connection problems (only recommended for experts).
How to change my public IP?
In principle, the public IP cannot be changed. It is set by your Internet provider and serves, among other things, to know where you are connecting from (some of the numbers identify geographic areas). This is why sometimes when you are in another country, you cannot access certain pages. Only some providers use dynamic IP addresses, which are automatically renewed from time to time. However, there is an alternative solution available to everyone: hiding the IP address.
With a Proxy
On the Internet there are many free sites of this type, which act as intermediaries between your router and the destination page you want to visit, such as HMA, Proxify or Anonymouse. The operation is always very similar: in the search bar you must copy the link to the website you want to go to and click on the corresponding button to start browsing with a "fake" IP.
With a VPN
VPN services work in a very similar way, masking your real IP address and guaranteeing your privacy on the network. They are usually faster, more reliable and offer more options than proxy servers, which is precisely why they are usually paid services. Some of the best are NordVPN, ExpressVPN and CyberGhost.
Tor is an alternative to the most popular browsers for those especially concerned about their privacy when connecting to the Internet since it uses encryption methods that make it impossible to track your activity. You can download it for free here.
Is it illegal to change your IP address?
It is completely legal for you to change your IP address, either on your own or with the help of your internet service provider.
- How to change my ip address
- How to change your ip address
- How do i change my ip address
- How to change IP address: on iPhone, Windows, Mac, via cmd > Guide
- Android IP address: check, changer > Guide
- PS3 can't obtain IP address: PlayStation 3 fix > Guide
- How to find IP address on Mac: computer, terminal > Guide
- How to change IP address from command prompt? [solved] > Forum - Network
- Shazam on computer: how to use it
- How to use TinyWeb Server on Windows?
- Everything you need to know cryptocurrency
- Adjust webpage to fit all screen resolutions
- How to help Ukraine: refugees, donate, support, now
- Install a VPN: on router, Firestick, Samsung Smart TV
- How to celebrate christmas online: virtually, with kids
- Create a custom Bitly URL
- Download videos for free: from Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin
- Winter Olympics 2022: schedule, sports, where to watch
- What is a NFT: meaning, crypto, marketplace
- How to make redirect in PHP?
- Badoo lost password: how to recover it
- How to declutter your digital life?
- Brief history of cryptocurrency: timeline
- Badoo sign up: download, code, in English
- Return products and get refund on Flipkart
- Connect Jio phone's internet to PC: via hotspot, USB
- Change the font: on Instagram, Facebook post, Twitter
- Translate text with DeepL: online, for free
- Switch language on your website: via html, automatically
- Enable cookies: Safari, Chrome, Internet Explorer, iPhone
- Find car owner's details with license plate in India
- How to start trading stocks online: for beginners
- Fact checking and verification on the Internet
- Best digital Christmas gifts: for clients, for students
- Tokyo Olympics: watch online, live, free
- The best crypto exchange apps
- What is Messenger Rooms
- Update your email address on your Aadhaar card online
- Sustainable gifts for Christmas: apps & websites
- Most famous robots in movies
- Best online learning platforms: for adults, kids, free
- Who to call if you have Coronavirus symptoms: UK, US
- Improve video calls: quality, lighting
- How to unsubscribe or delete your Tuenti account
- Pet adoption: websites and apps
- Things to do at home: online, with friends, by yourself
- How to set up e-commerce website: online, free
- Virtual birthday party: ideas for kids, adults, games, etc.
- What is 5G technology and how it works?
- How to close a Paypal account
- What does Bomboclaat mean
- Create a website: for free, from scratch, for business
- How to get cheap flights: anywhere, without specific dates