Skype allows you to connect with people around the world via video and message chat. If ever you decide that you no longer wish to use this service, deleting your account could not be easier.
Since Microsoft purchased Skype, your accounts are linked. Therefore, deleting this account will remove your access to other Microsoft services such as your Outlook inbox, your Office applications online, your OneDrive documents, and your Xbox Live GamerTag. If you need one or more of your accounts, delete your Skype data instead.
Permanently Close Your Skype Account
To permanently close your Skype account, and all of your associated Microsoft accounts, you must first complete some security steps.
- Firstly, go to this page, enter your Microsoft email, phone number, or Skype username, and click Next:
- On the screen that follows, enter your password, then click Sign In:
- On the following page, you will need to verify your identity choosing to receive a code at one of the secondary email addresses presented. If you do not have access to any of the email addresses, click I don't have any of these and follow the on-screen instructions:
- For your protection, the email addresses that are associated with your account are not presented in their entirety. To verify that you do, indeed, know the full email address, enter it in the field on the page that follows, then click Send code:
- On the following page, enter the code that you have received by email, then click Verify:
- The following page will present to you all of the consequences of deleting your Microsoft account. Read over them and be sure that you understand them all. Once you have finished, click Next:
- Finally, on the next page you will need to check off each of the common account closure effects to be sure that you have read and understood them. At the bottom of the page, select your reason for closing your account from the drop-down menu, then click Mark account for closure:
- Now, all you will need to do is wait 60 days before your account is completely deleted. If, during this time, you change your mind and decide that you wish to retain your account, you will simply need to access a Microsoft service using your account to reactivate it.
What to Do Before Closing Your Skype Account
Before closing your account, don't forget to spend the credits that you still have for paid calls. You should also cancel automatic recharge if you have it activated by going to this page
. You can also back up the contacts via the same account management interface
by exporting the contacts directory:
Become Unsearchable on Skype
If you would like to become unsearchable on Skype but would like to retain your other Microsoft accounts, you may simply delete all of your personal information from Skype.
Delete Your Personal Information from Skype
If you don't want other users to search for you in Skype directory, you must first remove all of the personal information that you provided when creating your profile. This information includes your name, gender, date of birth, email address, phone number, and location.
- To delete your personal information, sign in to your Skype account, and click your name or username in the menu bar, followed by My account:
- On the page that loads, scroll down and click Edit profile:
- Your browser will open and direct you to your profile page. In the Personal Information section, click Edit profile:
- You may now clear your profile of your personal details and opt to become invisible in search results and be left out of suggestions.
Modify Your Skype Avatar
While removing your personal information from Skype, you will need to "delete" your personal avatar. Note that, while it is not actually possible to delete your avatar, you can change it to something more general.
- Log in to Skype, and click your name at the top of the interface:
- Next, hover your mouse over your current profile photo, and click it to edit it. You may now select your new image.
Delete Your Account from the Login Screen
- To delete your account from the login screen, close Skype, and click your computer's Start menu.
- Type Run, and press Enter. Then, type
%appdata%\Skype, and click OK.
- Delete the folder with the name of your Skype account.
Remove Username from the Skype Directory
- Go to the online homepage and log in to your Skype account.
- Next, click Account and password > Delete an account. This procedure will take about two weeks.
Even if your Skype profile is removed from the Skype directory, it will still appear in the contact list of your contacts.
For any questions concerning your account, you may also contact the Skype Customer Service team
Image: © Skype.