Anti virus and anti-malware
programs are installed in the computer to secure the computer from malware
and viruses . After installation, these software need to update themselves, because without regular update of the virus detection file, security
will be compromised. Antivirus programs update automatically from the internet but even without an internet connection, they can be updated. For this, the updated antivirus file needs to be downloaded from the internet and via an external storage devices
like a USB stick, an external hard drive, a CD / DVD, the update can be transferred to a PC with no internet connection. The update method of antivirus software varies according to the brand - hence knowledge of the procedures can be useful.
Antivirus and antispyware are reliable only if they are updated regularly. Note that most of current anti-virus software updates automatically via the Internet.
This can be problematic for users with no internet connection.
You should use a computer with an internet connection to download the appropriate updates and transfer them to the target computer using a USB stick, external hard drive or CD.
Here's how to do this with the most common antivirus software.
Most McAfee antivirus software (VirusScan, NetShield, GroupShield, WebShield) can be updated using a simple executable file:
- Go to http://www.mcafee.com/...
- Click "I Agree"
- Download the file sdatXXXX.exe
- Copy to a pen drive, connect it to the target computer and run the .exe file to update the antivirus.
This off-line update will only work if a serial number has been entered into Avast.
AntiVir Personal Edition
- Download: http://www.avira.com/en/support/vdf_update.html
- Copy the Zip file on the machine that has no Internet (using a USB key for example)
- Start AntiVir, and in the main window, select Update > Manual Update and target the ZIP file (No need to unzip the file)
- This updates the engine as well as signatures
Spybot Search & Destroy
- Go to: http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/downloads/clients/?sitepanda=particulares
- Right click on the link under "Virus Signature files" Save Target As
- Unzip the downloaded file, you must keep the pav.sig file
- Open Panda click Configure
- Under "Update Location " choose the path "floppy, CD-ROM or local network" and enter the path to the file pav.sig, C:\Users\Moi\Desktop\pav\
- Click on "Update"
- Download: Malwarebytes
- Download the offline update here: MBAM Rules.exe
- Save the file to your desktop or My Documents folder to find easily
- Once the download is complete, double click the downloaded executable (or transfer it to the computer without a connection) and follow the wizard. After all the procedures are completed, you will see in the Malwarebytes Anti-malware interface that the software has been updated
Follow this tutorial
This document, titled « Updating your antivirus/anti-malware without internet connection », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM