After upgrading to Windows 8/8.1, your computer no longer detects your CD/DVD drive. This issue can be fixed easily.
- Press [Windows] + [R] and type regedit and press [Enter]. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0
- Create a new Dword value (same bit version as for your system) and Rename it as EnumDevices 1.
- Double click on the EnumDevice1 and set its value to 1. Close the registry and restart your system.
Instead of using the registy, you can use the following command:
Image: © snig - Shutterstock.com
- HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
- Open an elevated command prompt and enter the above command.