On the 14th January 2020 Windows 7 became no longer supported, and Windows 8.1 will stop in 2023. If you still have one of the older versions of Windows on your computer, it would be advisable to consider switching to Windows 10. This article will show you how to update to Windows 10 for free.
How to update Windows 10?
Although the update process has been a bit complicated since the free period ended, there are still ways to do it without spending money, and within the law. In this article we will explain them to you.
How to update to Windows 10 from the official Microsoft website?
To update to Windows 10, go to the official Microsoft site to download the Windows 10 installer. Click on the blue ‘update now’ button and the download will begin. Once downloaded to your PC, start the installation process. When finished, Windows 10 will check if it is compatible with your PC.
The installer can indicate a series of programs that could complicate the update process: you can decide if you want to uninstall them. If you do not, you will not be able to fully complete the installation of Windows 10. Also, the activation key may be required in case your old version of Windows is not legal (although this is unlikely to be the case).
When the installation process is complete, the type of package you have on your device will be installed: Home, Pro, Enterprise or Education.
How to update to Windows 10 with Microsoft Insider?
If you didn’t already have Windows 7 or 8, you can still get Windows 10 for free thanks to Microsoft Insider. This program allows you to download free beta versions of the Windows 10 trial, although, be aware that this is not the final version. They may contain certain errors that have yet to be corrected. If you’re still interested you can sign up for Insider on the official site and download it.
Can you use Windows 10 without activating it?
If Windows 10 has not been activated during installation, in theory you should be able to activate it manually. However, in order to do that, you would need to buy a license and you would be back at the starting point. The good news is that you can still activate it without going through the process of entering the product key. To do this, when the system asks you for the password, click on the Skip button.
You should now be able to use Windows 10 normally, except for two small details: a watermark will appear reminding you to activate it, and you will not be able to customise the operating system (for example, you will not be able to change your desktop wallpaper). Except for that small discomfort, you can use all of the Windows 10 features without problem and also receive updates.
- Windows 10 free software download full version
- How to stop auto update in windows 7 > Guide
- Clear the Windows update cache: via cmd, Notepad > Guide
- How to View Update History on Windows 7
- Check The BIOS Version of Windows 7
- How To Disable Automatic App Updates in Windows 10
- PC restarting on its own: Windows 10, 11
- Pagefile.sys file: purpose, size, location
- Speed up Windows 10 computer performance
- Permanently disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
- Show hidden files on Windows 10: via cmd, shortcut
- Where apps are stored on Windows 10?
- How to empty the Recycle bin on C drive in Windows 10?
- How to clear your Bluetooth sync history in Windows 10?
- Windows 10 desktop keyboard shortcuts: the ultimate guide
- How to customize Mail app settings on Windows 10
- LAN settings on Windows 10: check and configure
- How to change Windows 10's default photo viewer?
- Identify your motherboard on Windows 10: via cmd, DirectX
- How to fix F1 error at Windows startup?
- How to turn off system sounds on Windows 10
- How to remove password control at login on Windows 10?
- Change your computer name on Windows 10: via cmd, settings
- Pin Run to the Windows Start menu: on Windows 7/8/10
- Send text messages from Windows 10 via Your Phone app
- How to adjust default virtual memory size on Windows 10?
- How to install the latest Windows 10 update?
- How to create a Windows 10 bootable USB or installation DVD?
- Disable background apps: on Windows 10, 7, and 8
- Windows 10 Quick Access menu: customize and edit
- Delete Windows.old from Windows 10: via CCleaner, Start menu
- Save documents as PDF: on Windows 10, 8 and 7
- God Mode folder on Windows 10: features
- How to send email attachments on Windows 10?
- Multi-touch gestures on Windows 10: enable and disable
- Customize the Send To menu on Windows 10: add items
- Change Windows 10 settings: language and region
- Reset Windows password: via cmd, without logging in
- Open the Device Manager on Windows 10: via cmd, run, shortcut
- Reinstall Windows 10 without losing data: via USB or ISO