On the 14th January 2020 Windows 7 became no longer supported, and Windows 8.1 will stop in 2023. If you still have one of the older versions of Windows on your computer, it would be advisable to consider switching to Windows 10. This article will show you how to update to Windows 10 for free.
How to update Windows 10?
Although the update process has been a bit complicated since the free period ended, there are still ways to do it without spending money, and within the law. In this article we will explain them to you.
How to update to Windows 10 from the official Microsoft website?
To update to Windows 10, go to the official Microsoft site to download the Windows 10 installer. Click on the blue ‘update now’ button and the download will begin. Once downloaded to your PC, start the installation process. When finished, Windows 10 will check if it is compatible with your PC.
The installer can indicate a series of programs that could complicate the update process: you can decide if you want to uninstall them. If you do not, you will not be able to fully complete the installation of Windows 10. Also, the activation key may be required in case your old version of Windows is not legal (although this is unlikely to be the case).
When the installation process is complete, the type of package you have on your device will be installed: Home, Pro, Enterprise or Education.
How to update to Windows 10 with Microsoft Insider?
If you didn’t already have Windows 7 or 8, you can still get Windows 10 for free thanks to Microsoft Insider. This program allows you to download free beta versions of the Windows 10 trial, although, be aware that this is not the final version. They may contain certain errors that have yet to be corrected. If you’re still interested you can sign up for Insider on the official site and download it.
Can you use Windows 10 without activating it?
If Windows 10 has not been activated during installation, in theory you should be able to activate it manually. However, in order to do that, you would need to buy a license and you would be back at the starting point. The good news is that you can still activate it without going through the process of entering the product key. To do this, when the system asks you for the password, click on the Skip button.
You should now be able to use Windows 10 normally, except for two small details: a watermark will appear reminding you to activate it, and you will not be able to customise the operating system (for example, you will not be able to change your desktop wallpaper). Except for that small discomfort, you can use all of the Windows 10 features without problem and also receive updates.
- Windows 10 free
- Windows 10 update
- Update for windows media player > Download
- How to stop auto update in windows 7 > Guide
- Adobe Flash Player > Download
- View update history: Windows 7 > Guide
- Internet Explorer 11 > Download
- Change your computer name on Windows 10: via cmd, settings
- How to turn off system sounds on Windows 10
- How to fix F1 error at Windows startup?
- PC restarting on its own: Windows 10, 11
- Reset Windows password: via cmd, without logging in
- Where apps are stored on Windows 10?
- LAN settings on Windows 10: check and configure
- How to turn on and use Wake on LAN on a PC?
- Show hidden files on Windows 10: via cmd, shortcut
- How to change Windows 10's default photo viewer?
- Permanently disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
- How to disable volume shadow copy?
- How to install the latest Windows 10 update?
- Clear the Windows update cache: via cmd, Notepad
- How to clear your Bluetooth sync history in Windows 10?
- How to adjust default virtual memory size on Windows 10?
- Windows calendar show week number
- How to increase your PC hard disk space?
- Delete Windows.old from Windows 10: via CCleaner, Start menu
- Install RSync under Windows: cygwin, powershell
- Multi-touch gestures on Windows 10: enable and disable
- Command prompt: Windows 10, commands, shortcut
- How to empty the Recycle bin on C drive in Windows 10?
- Speed up Windows 10 computer performance
- Fix corrupted driver: Code 39, Windows 10
- Disable Ctfmon.exe at startup on Windows 10
- Play music on computer startup: Windows 10, Windows 7
- Mount ISO files: Windows 10
- How to right click on touch screen: Windows 10, monitor
- Identify your motherboard on Windows 10: via cmd, DirectX
- Reinstall Windows 10 without losing data: via USB or ISO
- How to customize Mail app settings on Windows 10
- Save documents as PDF: on Windows 10, 8 and 7
- Windows 10 Quick Access menu: customize and edit
- Asus smart gesture not working: after Windows 10 update
- Windows 10 desktop keyboard shortcuts: the ultimate guide
- Change Windows 10 settings: language and region
- How to remove password control at login on Windows 10?
- How to change the installation location on Windows 7, 10, 11
- How to activate a pirated version of Windows?
- Pagefile.sys file: purpose, size, location
- Fix touchpad on Windows 10: disabled, incompatible driver
- Disable background apps: on Windows 10, 7, and 8
- God Mode folder on Windows 10: features
- Delete file in Windows: CMD, 10
- Add a printer in Windows 8.1, 10
- How to display Windows 10 update in Control Panel?
- How to create a Windows 10 bootable USB or installation DVD?
- How to open the Windows 10 registry via cmd
- How to open Internet Explorer in Windows 10 via cmd?
- How to send email attachments on Windows 10?
- How to set up the phone companion app in Windows 10?
- Customize the mouse pointer in Windows 8, 10
- Customize the Send To menu on Windows 10: add items
- How to turn off Taskbar Tidbits in Windows 10
- How to enable classic notifications in Windows 10
- Take photos with your webcam on Windows 7, 10
- How to switch graphics processor on Windows 10
- Open the Device Manager on Windows 10: via cmd, run, shortcut
- How to hide desktop icons on Windows 10?
- Desktop icons missing Windows: 10, 7, after update
- How to boot in safe mode in Windows 8, 10?
- How to create a desktop shortcut for Cortana: WIndows 10
- Send text messages from Windows 10 via Your Phone app
- How to change Cortana search engine: to Google
- Windows 10: Home Vs Pro
- Pin Run to the Windows Start menu: on Windows 7/8/10
- Best Windows 10 browser: 2022, for privacy
- USB not recognized: Windows 10 fix
- How to uninstall Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
- How to use Cortana in Windows 10
- Speed up PC startup on Windows 7, 8, 10
- How to record screen: Windows 11, 10